Sebastián Coates

I had an altercation with Dax about Coates integrating into our squad. Mancini can't afford to make profligate buys with young players. Savic's purchase was the extremity of this approach. Even then, he's got champions league and international experience. He's our guy. I'll give it 2/3 months until his appearances become more than intermittent.

Vermaelen was a real miss for us. I'm pretty sure that a person endowed with the financial liberation of mancini, Savic will be world class.

matt_matt said:
Boyata and Savic, i would prefer a more experienced 25+ year old defender to partner Kompany.

Only this. While I love the fact we're hoovering up a lot of Europe's finest young talent, if we are to get another CB I would hope it'd be an older, CL-experienced one. Preferably, as SWJ and others have said in the other defence thread, a warrior; any names spring to mind?
Haven't read the other thread but Vertonghen could be a target if Lescott doesn't work out.

Lescott is the only player you look at in our back 4 first 11 and think hmmm is he good enough for the rest of the team.

Definitely much improved under Mancini. I am wondering what k toure will come back like. Lescott has started scoring again which is a bonus as well.

BlueJill said:
mrscitygirl said:
BringBackSwales said:
I think that your comment about Lescott is incredibly harsh, and indeed downright wrong

Lescott has been one of our best player end of and beginning this season.

How can you say that. We have conceded exactly 2 goals this season. He was at fault for both.

-- Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:08 pm --

BringBackSwales said:
r.soleofsalford said:
when we need someone for a physical battle lescott is always up for it

unfortunately mate some people always need someone to slag off, makes me sick tbh

You honestly can say you think that Lescott is good enough to start for a Champions League winning (yes winning the entire thing) side? Simple Yes or No.

In Lescott;s defense, the first goal wasn't his fault. That was just superior football on Klasnic's part. As for the Second, well he is the big strong CD, he shouldn't be getting beat by a smaller player. I don't care if it is Davies. He shouldn't. But overall, Lescott has quite a fantastic game against Bolton. I have watched the match 3 times, an I am convinced he was the better of our 2 CDs on the day.

While everyone remembers him being the player on guard when the goals were given up. It seems to few remember how he saved us on 3 four occasions in the same game. It was his quick reaction that saved us from the Hart muffed Eagles Freekick. On another play when Kompany was beaten by Davies in the air, it was Lescott who jumped in to deflect the ball. On the 4 occasions in which Lescott challenged Davies on a punt, he won 3 and didn;t conceed a foul in any. Kompany on the other hand, conceeded the foul Eagles almost scored. Conceeded the foul that led to Davies goal, and 2 more fouls. So in 8 air balls with davies he lost 3, conceede 3 fouls and 2 resulting in 3 of their 4 chances and won 2. Komps literally could not guard Davies without fouling him. Lescott did!

And as one of those who have whined the loudest about Lescott's incompetence when we have the ball, I was greatly surprised to find Lescott was more willing to join the offense than Komps (First time ever Lescott made more forays into the opponents half than Komps). 9-6 (by my hand count). But even more impressive was how he moved wide quickly to get open for a pass (this is something Lescott and Nigel often do very little of). And even though he was Akward, his passes were accurate and well thought out in this game. Frankly this might be the first game in which I truly have no complaints about Lescott.

Sure, technically you shouldn't get beat by a shorter man, and thus the 2nd goal is his fault, realistically we all know it does happen (so long as it doesn't become a norm) which we can't say is the case with Lescott, as he doesn't get beat in the air often. Reckon he was 3rd best in the league in aerial battles. So this was truly a one off by a very good offensive guy in the air.

The first goal is really blameless, both Petrov and Klasnic were perfect and lucky at the same time. You just doff your hat to that and move on.

Some have argued Micah did a pooe job closing down. I have watched said play 7 times. Micah closed down, quickly and correctly. ANd had Petrov attempted a cross, it would have been difficult. But intelligently, Petrov volleyed the ball back into the box, threading the thinest of line behind Micah's shutdown of the crossing lane.

And Klasnic ran across the face of goal and one-timed it. Truth is Lescott was so close the ball actually went thru his leg to get in. That in my opinion is good defending. If a man scores after such close marking. You duff your hat and move on. Had Klasnic done anything but take a one time shot on a hard driven volley, he would have been stopped by Lescott. 9 out of 10 tries, Klasnic miskicks that on a one-timer, or tries to control the ball and get nicked by Lescott. If there is any blame in that sequence, it should go to Silva for losing the ball about 7 seconds earlier unnecessarily.

Like I have said, I have been a great critic of Lescott al thru last season, even the games most claimed he played well in, he really didn't (in my opinion) as he either had little to do or mostly won airballs. This particular game, he did a whole lot. And did it well.

And even I am shocked by the following words I am about to type. But in the 3 games we have played this fall (including the Community Shield) Lescott has been the better CD in each and everyone.

No one wants to say it, but Komps has been the one making the most mistakes. I am hoping it is just a bad patch though, coz he has shown he CAN be class!

Yeah! I said it. Ans I ain't taking it back :P

Dax777 said:
BlueJill said:
mrscitygirl said:
Lescott has been one of our best player end of and beginning this season.

How can you say that. We have conceded exactly 2 goals this season. He was at fault for both.

BringBackSwales said:
unfortunately mate some people always need someone to slag off, makes me sick tbh

You honestly can say you think that Lescott is good enough to start for a Champions League winning (yes winning the entire thing) side? Simple Yes or No.

In Lescott;s defense, the first goal wasn't his fault. That was just superior football on Klasnic's part. As for the Second, well he is the big strong CD, he shouldn't be getting beat by a smaller player. I don't care if it is Davies. He shouldn't. But overall, Lescott has quite a fantastic game against Bolton. I have watched the match 3 times, an I am convinced he was the better of our 2 CDs on the day.

While everyone remembers him being the player on guard when the goals were given up. It seems to few remember how he saved us on 3 four occasions in the same game. It was his quick reaction that saved us from the Hart muffed Eagles Freekick. On another play when Kompany was beaten by Davies in the air, it was Lescott who jumped in to deflect the ball. On the 4 occasions in which Lescott challenged Davies on a punt, he won 3 and didn;t conceed a foul in any. Kompany on the other hand, conceeded the foul Eagles almost scored. Conceeded the foul that led to Davies goal, and 2 more fouls. So in 8 air balls with davies he lost 3, conceede 3 fouls and 2 resulting in 3 of their 4 chances and won 2. Komps literally could not guard Davies without fouling him. Lescott did!

And as one of those who have whined the loudest about Lescott's incompetence when we have the ball, I was greatly surprised to find Lescott was more willing to join the offense than Komps (First time ever Lescott made more forays into the opponents half than Komps). 9-6 (by my hand count). But even more impressive was how he moved wide quickly to get open for a pass (this is something Lescott and Nigel often do very little of). And even though he was Akward, his passes were accurate and well thought out in this game. Frankly this might be the first game in which I truly have no complaints about Lescott.

Sure, technically you shouldn't get beat by a shorter man, and thus the 2nd goal is his fault, realistically we all know it does happen (so long as it doesn't become a norm) which we can't say is the case with Lescott, as he doesn't get beat in the air often. Reckon he was 3rd best in the league in aerial battles. So this was truly a one off by a very good offensive guy in the air.

The first goal is really blameless, both Petrov and Klasnic were perfect and lucky at the same time. You just doff your hat to that and move on.

Some have argued Micah did a pooe job closing down. I have watched said play 7 times. Micah closed down, quickly and correctly. ANd had Petrov attempted a cross, it would have been difficult. But intelligently, Petrov volleyed the ball back into the box, threading the thinest of line behind Micah's shutdown of the crossing lane.

And Klasnic ran across the face of goal and one-timed it. Truth is Lescott was so close the ball actually went thru his leg to get in. That in my opinion is good defending. If a man scores after such close marking. You duff your hat and move on. Had Klasnic done anything but take a one time shot on a hard driven volley, he would have been stopped by Lescott. 9 out of 10 tries, Klasnic miskicks that on a one-timer, or tries to control the ball and get nicked by Lescott. If there is any blame in that sequence, it should go to Silva for losing the ball about 7 seconds earlier unnecessarily.

Like I have said, I have been a great critic of Lescott al thru last season, even the games most claimed he played well in, he really didn't (in my opinion) as he either had little to do or mostly won airballs. This particular game, he did a whole lot. And did it well.

And even I am shocked by the following words I am about to type. But in the 3 games we have played this fall (including the Community Shield) Lescott has been the better CD in each and everyone.

No one wants to say it, but Komps has been the one making the most mistakes. I am hoping it is just a bad patch though, coz he has shown he CAN be class!

This is a good post.

I've been slightly concerned with Kompany's form recently, as a matter of fact. And this extends back to the end of last season too.

vs. Bolton, I didn't think he had a great game. Dax has pointed out a few mistakes, but the one that really stuck out was when he went diving in on Eagles (I think it was), missed, and allowed Eagles a completely free run into our box (he fluffed the shot). I don't care if you think you're going to win the ball, you just don't take a risk like that if the alternative is a very good chance for the opposition. More generally, he just gave away stupid free kicks with stupid fouls.

vs. Utd, the obvious error.

vs. Blackburn, I remember him having an awful game. Lucky not to give away a penalty, numerous needless fouls conceded.

These are just the ones I remember, but it's been a theme in City's last 10 or so games. Don't get me wrong, I think he is and will continue to be a fantastic player; equally though, I think it's harsh to start pointing fingers at Lescott when he's been City's superior centre back recently.

ThreeTeamSupporter said:
Dax777 said:
BlueJill said:

This is a good post.

I've been slightly concerned with Kompany's form recently, as a matter of fact. And this extends back to the end of last season too.

vs. Bolton, I didn't think he had a great game. Dax has pointed out a few mistakes, but the one that really stuck out was when he went diving in on Eagles (I think it was), missed, and allowed Eagles a completely free run into our box (he fluffed the shot). I don't care if you think you're going to win the ball, you just don't take a risk like that if the alternative is a very good chance for the opposition. More generally, he just gave away stupid free kicks with stupid fouls.

vs. Blackburn, I remember him having an awful game. Lucky not to give away a penalty, numerous needless fouls conceded.

These are just the ones I remember, but it's been a theme in City's last 10 or so games. Don't get me wrong, I think he is and will continue to be a fantastic player; equally though, I think it's harsh to start pointing fingers at Lescott when he's been City's superior centre back recently.
Again it was Lescott's quick close down of Eagles that forced the muffed shot. Like I said, on the the 3 games this fall alone, he has been the better CD everytime. And I am one of those who is staunchly against him being a starter. So if I think he was better in 3 games, you can almost bank it that he was. Against Swansea, Komps was the better defender, but he also made more errors. Lescott has consistently in all 3 games made fewer errors. And has done better defensive work against United and Bolton. Komps was the better defender against Swansea. But Swansea wasn't very offensive, so Komps Aggressiveness in going out to go meet then in their area, and his good job covering for micah might have nudged it for him defensively. But in terms of being rattled, the 2 times a CD gave up the ball when Swansea pressured high, it was Komps who gave it up both times.

But at Bolton, Lescott was practically better at every aspect including giving up goals :P

ThreeTeamSupporter said:
Dax777 said:
BlueJill said:

This is a good post.

This is true, I'm sure Vinny will be fine but Lescott has been better recently. Lescott is an official whipping boy/blame figure though so it's best to focus on the mistakes he makes, point them out & ignore those made by Vinny, even if they're much worse. It's the unwritten City law.

Neville Kneville said:
This is true, I'm sure Vinny will be fine but Lescott has been better recently. Lescott is an official whipping boy/blame figure though so it's best to focus on the mistakes he makes, point them out & ignore those made by Vinny, even if they're much worse. It's the unwritten City law.

Does this law apply to Nigel too. Who gets 9 ratings for doing same thing as Yaya who gets a 6 for similar effort? :D or Barry who gets a 4 for similar effort :D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.