Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well like I said in an earlier thread,the cheque book better be out soon,but it would be very difficult to provide a replacement for Aguero,virtually impossible at this moment in time"
Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Higuain, etc. There are plenty of world class strikers who could fill Aguero's role.

Agreed though that if we broke with Kun, it's basically impossible that we could get a decent replacement in during the winter window - nonetheless, Jesus just might possibly be better than Kun - we'll see.

Moreover, Kun seems to be basically a good guy and doesn't seem to have an overly large ego. I expect that he'll do whatever Pep wants and that this is a non-issue.

Last edited:
This was certainly not a form based decision, got a feeling of this was Pep firing a warning shot across his bows, don't take the club for granted, if your prepared to risk a injury when playing for Argentina when not 100% fit, think Peps the kind of guy who thinks players should put the club who pays their
Wages first when risking injury on International duty and the fact he was benched for both last night and against Everton looks like Pep is showing that no player is bigger than the club, if not why did Sergio not start against Everton if Pep wasn't going to start him last night. This guy takes no prisoners even if it risks losing such a big game.
6 months ago would we have started a big match without hart,kompany,toure,nasri,aguero ?
See a link ? All players that held a lot of power in the dressing room

Because Aguero doesn't work the press well. He has hinted at this enough times. You watch our games you see it. Barca is a different breed of animal. To beat them you need tactical attentiveness and some luck.

As much as everyone pretends to not see it, when Aguero plays our press is like mush. Against teams we will dominate possession wise, it's not as bad of an issue ( even though it severely diminishes our chance creating) but against superior teams, it's almost necessary.
He could be better at it, but he works it as well as Lewandowski did at Bayern. I refuse to believe that Pep has zero tactical flexibility because of his philosophy. He must be able to see that the benefit of playing him over Nolito is so staggeringly obvious even if he does press slightly less.

I'm not suggesting that,or hinting,but it's a result business,and Aguero is arguably the best striker in the league,and only a fucking nugget would leave him out of the side,the best striker we have had at City in absolute years,mind you we also had the best keeper we had in years,and look how that panned out
He is everything you say, but IMO, he is out of form and will have to regain that pdq if he wants to be first name on the starting sheet every week

He could be better at it, but he works it as well as Lewandowski did at Bayern. I refuse to believe that Pep has zero tactical flexibility because of his philosophy. He must be able to see that the benefit of playing him over Nolito is so staggeringly obvious even if he does press slightly less.
Against Barcelona, there may be no benefit at all if we let Barca play there game. Like I said, this will not be the case often, and more likely than not Aguero will eventually improve at it. But at a time when he hasn't yet and we are faced with the prospect of playing a superior team, this tactical maneuvering of personell is not unusual.

Less we forget, we played Aguero against an inferior, compared to Barca that is, Tothenham andAguero didn't get many touches nor was he involved much, coz they pressed us and made it uncomfortable.

It seems Pep would rather be the team pressing. And we frankly haven't done that as well with Aguero. I really don't have a problem with it. Aguero is a fantastic player and has his attributes, but if what he is weak at will severely limit us in certain matchups, I'm all for benching him in those games..

Fans can't whine about Pellars playing Yaya all the time and then turn around and complain when the new Manager they like makes a switch that exclude one of their favourites. Especially when the reasoning for it is quite clear.

I love Pep more than ever for this decision. He's just looking at it logically. Even on here we've all been aware of Kun's lack of interest in pressing relentlessly. He does a few token runs to make it seem like he's trying to win the ball, but really he's not doing anything at all in that regard. I think it's fantastic! He wants the team to press, so picks the team that will do that, irrespective of what names that means he has to leave out. Absolutely fine by me! Aguero either adapts or is sold within a year. Personally I expect him to adapt, but Pep has to treat him in this way to get him to change. Love Pep so much, great manager.

Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Higuain, etc. There are plenty of world class strikers who could fill Aguero's role.

Agreed though that if we broke with Kun, it's basically impossible that we could get a decent replacement in during the winter window - nonetheless, Jesus just might possibly be better than Kun - we'll see.

Moreover, Kun seems to be basically a good guy and doesn't seem to have an overly large ego. I expect that he'll do whatever Pep wants and that this is a non-issue.
I don't think we are breaking with Kun. I don't believe it's even an issue. The only real issue here it seems some fans who canonize certain players and think there are no justifiable reason for dropping them.

That way of thinking is problematic. Players sometimes lose form, get niggles, and sometimes don't fit the tactical game plan. All their wonderful attributes notwithstanding... And there could always be a legitimate reason for dropping them.

I love Pep more than ever for this decision. He's just looking at it logically. Even on here we've all been aware of Kun's lack of interest in pressing relentlessly. He does a few token runs to make it seem like he's trying to win the ball, but really he's not doing anything at all in that regard. I think it's fantastic! He wants the team to press, so picks the team that will do that, irrespective of what names that means he has to leave out. Absolutely fine by me! Aguero either adapts or is sold within a year. Personally I expect him to adapt, but Pep has to treat him in this way to get him to change. Love Pep so much, great manager.
This was what I thought the majority of responses would be like. But oh well....

While i agree with and can completely see and understand what and why Pep did what he did in putting Kun not he bench the fact is that it did also have a negative effect of leaving us completely toothless....KDB was awful and sterling and nolito offered no goal threat though both played very well in all other aspects.

It is only against barca that we will ever have to play this way. I don't think playing anyone in the prem or even against the likes of real madrid or bayern do we need to play like that.

Im not sure why people are trying to suggest we need to replace Kun...we won't get anyone as good on while i really rate kelechi he is so far off being at Kuns level (in all aspects of the game) that it doesn't even warrant thinking about it....I also really love the look of Gabriel Jesus as well and cant wait to see him but id see him more as a threat to the other forward players (Sane, Nolito, Navas and sterling) than a direct replacement for Kun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.