Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said he had been banned for 7 games. That does not effect the goals per game ratio.

I think Aguero has been a great player for us, and still is effective. The question is how effective and is his game beginning to deteriorate. Great players don't always stay at the top of their game throughout their career. I can think of plenty of players whose game has dipped as they grow older, particularly forwards whose game relies so much on creating that bit of space.

I am putting the argument again as you are trying to put words into my mouth which I have not said. I regard Aguero as a top player. But we have a goal scoring problem. Or we had one before Jesus came along. Every single press conference Guardiola has mentioned goal-scoring as a problem. Just take that one stage further and look at the goal-scorers. I don't why you find this to be a taboo-subject.

This season Sergio had to adjust to a new manager with a different playing style. His goals per minute stat were a bit higher than his previous average.
Comparing to the other Premier League top scorers, it doesn't look so bad
Premier (all competitions)
R. Lukaku: 3177 min/ 24 goals = 132.37 (134)
A. Sanchez: 3155m / 23 g = 137.17 (137)
H. Kane: 2367m / 22 g = 107.59 (107)
D. Costa: 3028m / 20 g = 151.5 (151)
S. Agüero: 2334/ 18 g = 129.66 (110.7)
Only Harry Kane had a better year and not that different considering all tournaments.

This season Sergio had to adjust to a new manager with a different playing style. His goals per minute stat were a bit higher than his previous average.
Comparing to the other Premier League top scorers, it doesn't look so bad
Premier (all competitions)
R. Lukaku: 3177 min/ 24 goals = 132.37 (134)
A. Sanchez: 3155m / 23 g = 137.17 (137)
H. Kane: 2367m / 22 g = 107.59 (107)
D. Costa: 3028m / 20 g = 151.5 (151)
S. Agüero: 2334/ 18 g = 129.66 (110.7)
Only Harry Kane had a better year and not that different considering all tournaments.
Tbh, given how chances City create I think that start doesn't say much - Lukaku would have more goals/minute at City than at Everton. This isn't a dig at Aguero, but I'd be more interested in stats like shots/goal to compare strikers.

Tbh, given how chances City create I think that start doesn't say much - Lukaku would have more goals/minute at City than at Everton. This isn't a dig at Aguero, but I'd be more interested in stats like shots/goal to compare strikers.

We actually don't create that many chances. We create a lot of half-chances and manage to score a disproportionate amount of them because we have some of the best players in the world, but as for big, gilt-edged goalscoring opportunities we've found them few and far between.

We actually don't create that many chances. We create a lot of half-chances and manage to score a disproportionate amount of them because we have some of the best players in the world, but as for big, gilt-edged goalscoring opportunities we've found them few and far between.

I think we are top of the big chance league for the season mate and a big chance is one deemed where a goal is far more likely to be scored than not.

I will try to find a link but for me its been our biggest issue this season in that we haven't scored the goals and thus win the games we should have.

I think we are top of the big chance league for the season mate and a big chance is one deemed where a goal is far more likely to be scored than not.

I will try to find a link but for me its been our biggest issue this season in that we haven't scored the goals and thus win the games we should have.
I'd have thought so, too, although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I think Guardiola thinks likewise. He's said this repeatedly without drawing out the consequences for obvious reasons. It does look like playing the waiting game with Jesus will pay off. we could have gone for another striker to back up Aguero, or gone with Kelechi, but I doubt any in the long run will be as good as Jesus. The best move we have made for a long time.

Don't be that guy, Dom

We have been abysmal in front of goal this year and create more than anyone!

Don't be that guy, Dom

We have been abysmal in front of goal this year and create more than anyone!

I don't think we do. We've had a couple big chances missed at key times, but apart from those 3 or 4 headline grabbers, a lot of the time we just aren't creating that high quality chances.

There's a good twitter account who does ExpG charts and ours are nearly always lots of small chances, compared to other teams that get fewer but bigger ones.

I've not had time to look properly, but just some selected stats here. These are Premier League games ONLY. I couldn't get stats for all games - life's too short.
I've also just taken a random sample of players: some top strikers across the EPL, and then some extra City players you might expect to score a few. It might be a bit unfair on de Bruyne and Silva, as they're being compared to strikers here, and not to other midfielders.

However, I think it highlights some of the problems we've had in front of goal in the league this season.

sdhizp.jpg

Stats taken from the premier league page.

I don't think we do. We've had a couple big chances missed at key times, but apart from those 3 or 4 headline grabbers, a lot of the time we just aren't creating that high quality chances.

There's a good twitter account who does ExpG charts and ours are nearly always lots of small chances, compared to other teams that get fewer but bigger ones.

3 or 4 per game, minimum, which cost us v Chelsea, Spurs, Rags, Monaco and Dippers to name but a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.