Sergio Aguero leaves City after 10 years

I think there's a lot of overthinking in this thread. It's sad but it's not exactly surprising is it? Was very much a case of 'you're damned if you, damned if you don't' with how the club dealt with this situation. Even though I'm gutted he's going, personally, I'm kinda relieved its over. It was so bloody obvious that he was going IMO that it got tiring seeing people moan about him not starting and kicking off. As for the speculation about replacements now etc, who really gives a fuck. I think both City and Sergio will feel relieved that everyone now knows where they stand and they'll crack on and carry on winning. It's not shocking in the slightest for anyone who's been paying any attention to us at all so I cant see any reason at all why itll affect us on or off the pitch. The annoying press briefings from Sergio's camp will now stop too. As will loads of other shit.

Pep wanted this sorted, has made a few comments about it too but we didn’t know who it was about.

Leaves the team and Sergio to work hard and send him off in glory - it will motivate them believe me and pep will use it to motivate too.

As for replacement - probably looking at someone yes but that’s secondary to resolving a situation and being up front and honest with all parties.

I think Kompany announcing the morning after the FA Cup final worked pretty well.

Different situations though. One in the team, ultra professional and focused playing v well. The other on the bench looking very very miserable as he realised his time was over. We might actually get a smile now from Kun now he's accepted it all. I don't think anyone would have enjoyed watching him warm up miserably for weeks.

Farewell king.

Sad to see him leave especially with no crowds but I think the injuries have finally caught up with him and if we’re be honest deep down he was never going to sign a new contract with a new striker being lined up.

We’ve pretty much wrapped up the title by April without him so it’s a scary prospect for a rivals if we do sign a top quality striker who may also provide an ariel threat which we haven’t had since Dzeko. Even Sterling manages the odd headed goal from Cancelo and KDB crosses. Haaland would score for fun lol. Certainly an interesting summer ahead.

Different situations though. One in the team, ultra professional and focused playing v well. The other on the bench looking very very miserable as he realised his time was over. We might actually get a smile now from Kun now he's accepted it all. I don't think anyone would have enjoyed watching him warm up miserably for weeks.

Maybe. Personally I'd be surprised if he's smiling away on the bench watching his last possible minutes at City go by from the stands.

Best realistic scenario is United lose a few games, we wrap up the league and Pep plays him while resting the CL starters.

He is Barca bound, to play a couple of years with Messi.
Can't blame him, really.
There are club legends, and then there is Aguero. He sits at the head of the legends table, totally unopposed (obviously, I've had to take Frank Lampard out of the equation here).
He has made this last decade the greatest decade in our clubs history, for me. We are so fortunate to have had such legends (and thoroughly nice people) play for us in the last 10 years.
As always with football, my mind turns to who will replace him. I wonder if this early press release is a statement of intent to Haaland, to show we are clearing the decks for his arrival? Maybe it was even requested by his management team to show our commitment?
One thing is for sure, the usual City transfer rumour machine is being oiled and cranked up ready to go into overdrive in the next few months.
Strap yourselves in, it's going to be a bumpy ride!!! :)

It's just a bad way to do it IMO and a shit way for one of our best players to leave.

Every game Pep doesn't pick him in, we're going to see camera shots of him sitting on the bench every 3 minutes and have to listen to commentators talking about it. The next 5 days are going to be absolutely dominated by who's going to replace him.

The Dortmund games are going to be a complete circus with the Haaland link now. The media were focusing on him going to United/Real/Chelsea before this but the vacuum of us losing Aguero will make all the press coverage land on us.

We'll probably get Watzke denying there's been a deal agreed for Haaland and insulting the club by the end of the week.

It's going to make the fans incredibly toxic, any game in which Jesus or Sterling don't score and Aguero is on the pitch, they're going to get heaps of abuse.

I can't understand why they made it public now. It's got the potential to overshadow the entire run in. There's a reason Kompany waited until after his last game.
The club are simply managing the situation, maybe it was gonna be taken out of theirs/his hands....as for your first sentence, Sergio can leave in a blaze of glory scoring CL winners, Picking up PL & LC medals & maybe even an unprecedented quadruple,hardly a shit way to leave! it’s down to him now, if he’s good enough he will succeed, the challenge has been set, he just has to stay fit & raise his game one more time. The Haaland for Sergio talk was inevitable as is the stick (on match day threads) for those who miss sitters, as for the press, let them focus on that, if anything it will allow us to concentrate on winning trophies. Players have left us in many different ways, the best way is to score goals, win big games & trophies

I can see it now. We make the ucl final, sergio is a sub. Its the 92', 3 more min of extra time. Pep gives the nod to sergio as he comes on....the rest is history.

Maybe. Personally I'd be surprised if he's smiling away on the bench watching his last possible minutes at City go by from the stands.

Probably not fully happy, no, but surely better. He's clearly been sending very clear body language messages recently intentionally. Everyone knows now so he has nowt to gain now sulking about. I don't blame him for looking miserable btw, but if he is still doing that over the coming weeks then I dont really know what hes trying to achieve. He's had an amazing career here. The team is moving on now sadly without him, but he's a much loved senior pro - may as well just try and make the most of the rest of his time here.

I think there's a lot of overthinking in this thread. It's sad but it's not exactly surprising is it? Was very much a case of 'you're damned if you, damned if you don't' with how the club dealt with this situation. Even though I'm gutted he's going, personally, I'm kinda relieved its over. It was so bloody obvious that he was going IMO that it got tiring seeing people moan about him not starting and kicking off. As for the speculation about replacements now etc, who really gives a fuck. I think both City and Sergio will feel relieved that everyone now knows where they stand and they'll crack on and carry on winning. It's not shocking in the slightest for anyone who's been paying any attention to us at all so I cant see any reason at all why itll affect us on or off the pitch. The annoying press briefings from Sergio's camp will now stop too. As will loads of other shit.

Edit - the difference for me re Kompany is that he was playing week in week out when he decided to leave. There was no discontent at all. Sergio has kinda been sidelined by injuries and the manager. It was clearly a very different atmosphere and we saw how annoyed Kun was about his standing right now at city with the little moan about not getting the ball. We couldn't leave it to play out in the same way as one was happy Vinnie, the other was sad Kun. Way different.
I think we’d offered Vinnie a new contract and he was stalling as the Anderlecht project came up. He then decided to leave, but not tell anyone until the season was over. You could see at the end of the Leicester game that his lap of honour was hugely emotional for him. He’d never have been like that in any other scenario. He’d have been pumped ready for the Brighton game.

It looks like Sergio wanted to stay and tried to apply pressure to Pep. He got his answer.

I’m totally conflicted as I’m gutted that our main talisman is leaving, but know deep down that he isn’t the same player anymore. His knee injury against Burnley seems to have finished him off.

Announcing it in an international break allows the furore around it to die down a bit in the next week.

I think it’s probably the right time for him to leave, but hindsight suggests last summer may have been that point to get a fee for him.

Let’s hope he bangs in some important goals in the next couple of months and finally gets his CL medal.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.