Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be true in this case but in the last 12 months we've spent the best part of 150m on Jack Grealish and Kalvin Phillips. If that's not overpaying for players I don't know what is.

In context, we have spent 215m on Jack Grealish, Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland, Juliam Alvarez, and Sergio Gomes. Some we pay big for, some we don't, so the point of the days of consistently overpaying being over is still valid.

Looks as if our executive team have played another blinder.
The days of signing £50m fullbacks and overpaying for players are over.
The approach of signing young talent and letting Pep develop them into world class players tells me Pep isn’t going anywhere else anytime soon.
He remains an essential part of the project.
Love this club!
Totally agree except for Walker who has been immense

That may be true in this case but in the last 12 months we've spent the best part of 150m on Jack Grealish and Kalvin Phillips. If that's not overpaying for players I don't know what is.
Shuuuuush, Grealish was a bargain.
He'll come good, we just need to either play him in his right position, buy an overlapping left back or solve the humanitarian crisis in Sudan...

Haaland means we can play the full length of the pitch but Gomez means we finally have the ability to extend the width of the pitch on the left and attack the final third from that corner. I thus expect to see us hit the byline more often and expect to see us scoring more of those tap in goals that are the hallmark of passing football. They look the simplest but stem from playing the best football.

Still maintain Grealish will be a great signing.
40m for an internationally established English midfielder is not above the going rate given his age…
£62 million for a LB us quite frankly bonkers

Totally agree except for Walker who has been immense
You’ve also got to look at what Walker was when we signed the guy ie English, young, established international and generally acknowledged as the best in his position in the premiership.
We were also in a different place as a developing team…and yes we probably overpaid.

You’ve also got to look at what Walker was when we signed the guy ie English, young, established international and generally acknowledged as the best in his position in the premiership.
We were also in a different place as a developing team…and yes we probably overpaid.

Even if we’d paid £100m for Walker he‘s proved that would have been worth it, given how consistently good he’s been for us. Just like the scouse twats getting van Dijk who has proved definitely worth the £75m (I wish we’d paid up for him), some players are worth paying what it takes to get them.

Others not so much, £80m for Maguire for example. Hopefully Cucurella proves to be more like Maguire than Walker and he’s shipped off on loan to Villarreal or similar after one season.

So it looks as if Sergio Gomez was already on our radar, but earmarked for Girona, until the Cucurella deal went to shit.

Guardiola has cleared up the confusion in yesterday's press conference by confirming Gomez, Walker, Cancelo & JWE will be our four full backs going forward, with Aké, Stones & Lewis as auxiliary backups.

Could be better imho, but it could be a shit load worse too. Personally I'd still like to see another senior left back, but now Gomez & JWE have the ideal opportunity to stake their claims & become our left back pairing for the next 10 years if they can realise their potential.

Here's hoping it works out beyond my wishes... :-)

Haaland means we can play the full length of the pitch but Gomez means we finally have the ability to extend the width of the pitch on the left and attack the final third from that corner. I thus expect to see us hit the byline more often and expect to see us scoring more of those tap in goals that are the hallmark of passing football. They look the simplest but stem from playing the best football.
^^^This!^^^ Last week was a case in point where Grealish played a couple of OK-ish balls into the box with his left, but the crosses had little authority.

In most cases both Grealish & Cancelo had to check back onto their right foots which gave WHU's defence a crucial second or two to set themselves.

Now with a genuine left footer joining as an attacking full back, Haaland & Alvarez will have the opportunity to feast on in-swinging & out-swinging crosses, as well as through-balls & intricate passes through defensive lines to their feet.

This signing of Gomez adds so many strings to our bow, it's unreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.