Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar argument with a Rag several years ago about the son of a friend of his who was released by City, leaving the boy & his family devastated.

Apparently this kid was the dogs bollocks, & the Rag was disgusted that we'd thrown the boy on the scrapheap, so I asked him "If the boy's THAT great, why haven't ManUre signed him for free?"

Several minutes of bluster & excuses were spewed out until I told him to focus & asked the question again, whereby he deflected & changed the subject to our FFP woes.

You see it's like this... If we've sold these players on or released them it's usually with good reason. How many of these released/sold on players have ended up playing for domestic League challenging, regular Champions League competing clubs?

Most have gone on to carve out privileged careers at mid-table PL to lower league clubs & live a lifestyle that most of us can only dream of, so should they be angry & bitter at City for being sold on or released, or grateful for the football education & character grounding we afforded them?

Sancho was very different as we didn't want him to leave, but he wanted to play first team football as a 17/18 year old when there were several better senior players ahead of him at City.

In stark contrast, Foden bided his time & proved himself & Zinchenko fought against the odds to prove he was good enough for us & carved out an excellent PL & international career, earning him a mid-career move to one of the London giants.

If they're good enough to be in a squad which has been challenging for the PL & CL most seasons, they've all the opportunity in the world to prove it at City.
Great summary

A new low. Jebus, where do you start with this tripe?
Madrid X3, Bayern, Chelsea, Madrid.

Last 6 times UCL winners. Probably bagged 25+ trophies and scored over 1K goals in their respective championships. All these teams have unreal academies.

Name more than one academy, homegrown players, that played in the finals and the UCL seasons for them.

I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.
What you have to understand and for some reason a lot of City fans don't understand either, is that the academy is just a money making machine and that's it. RARELY a gem like Foden or maybe Palmer will come through and make it. It has already paid for itself and more. Some people just need to get the 'Fergie kids' dream out of there heads and applaud the fantastic business that our club is.

What you have to understand and for some reason a lot of City fans don't understand either, is that the academy is just a money making machine and that's it. RARELY a gem like Foden or maybe Palmer will come through and make it. It has already paid for itself and more. Some people just need to get the 'Fergie kids' dream out of there heads and applaud the fantastic business that our club is.
The plan was always to produce 3 a year, 1 to sell right away, 1 to loan out for potential where we may bring back or sell in the future, and 1 that can move up to train with the first team. This is pretty much how it’s now going it’s clearly working.
I agree though, some expect a Utd type influx of players but that was unique and a one off situation that’s never happen again anywhere.

What I don't get is, it was only last week several fans were lamenting why Brighton can unearth a €15m Cucurella, where 12 months later 2 PL giants were battling for his signature by lodging £40m & £62m bids, but City can never seemingly unearth these gems?
Those several fans don't remember that City had no chance of unearthing Cucurella because for the previous three or so years we had two left backs filling the squad who were immovable. Up until this summer there simply wasn't room for a new left back.

One was Zinchenko and we actually arranged and agreed to two separate deals only to have him reject the moves and fight for his place. City rightly IMO didn't force Zin out. So nothing more we could or should have done there.

Then there was a certain French clown who the club I'm sure did everything they could do to find a taker for (prior to the legal troubles), but he was on massive wages and horrifically terrible. Very doubtful we could have even sold him off for free without covering most of his wages as part of any deal. So again not sure what City could do there without eating a massive loss. It was only after the legal troubles did arise early last season that the squad space may have opened up.

So long story short getting Cucurella or any other left back for that matter any sooner and cheaper than we will do was just simply never a possibility.

I agree though, some expect a Utd type influx of players but that was unique and a one off situation that’s never happen again anywhere.
That was the issue that I always had with all the 'class of 92' stuff being held up as proof that United always gives youth a chance. If that was the case then why are they still talking about only them 30 years later and what happened to the classes of 93, 94 , 95 etc. etc.?

As you say, a one-off and not indicative of how things go in football generally (at any club).

Last edited:
Embarrassing? Completely different mindset to me there bud. I’m extremely proud of how many of our academy players have made it as professional footballers

Why do you find it embarrassing?
I’m thinking more of the Aaron Mooy, Marlos Moreno, Anthony Caceres, Luke Brattan, Max Diskerud and Jack Harrison type of ‘Manchester City’ player.

I’m thinking more of the Aaron Mooy, Marlos Moreno, Anthony Caceres, Luke Brattan, Max Diskerud and Jack Harrison type of ‘Manchester City’ player.
Ah ok, with you discussing our academy in your post. It reads like you were embarrassed by our academy to me

Again, where you’re embarrassed, I’m thinking, what a belting business model, which generates us millions per annum

Why does the above embarrass you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.