Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have this fucking anxiety feeling when we buy these squad type players that one of the "potentials" like Wilson-Esbrand will get pissed off and leave.

Until we sold Zinchenko and were left with nobody, most of us on here had never heard of or seen any of JWE either. He is a name, that appeared to fill a gap on the tour. Doubt there was ever much expected of him this season, and putting the pressure on him to step up with only two FBs in the side would have been harsh.

Ahh yes I know all that. But what I was saying that I get a feeling of anxiety for the youth that I don't like. I imagine a Sancho scenario. One of my foibles. :)

Foden developed, slowly, in a team with two silvas, kdb, and gundo. To which we also added Mahrez, at which point many thought that was it for him. He was good enough, he had the safety net of building up minutes without being relied on to win games. Till he was ready to be relied on a bit more, and then fully.

Any kid that is good enough, and patient enough will do the same. Palmer next probably, and the expectation on him is already a bit higher, and the jump a bit more sudden. JWE is different, he has yet to even step in let alone step up.

Last edited:
Until we sold Zinchenko and were left with nobody, most of us on here had never heard of or seen any of JWE either. He is a name, that appeared to fill a gap on the tour. Doubt there was ever much expected of him this season, and putting the pressure on him to step up with only two FBs in the side would have been harsh.
Yeah ignore me, I'm old and daft.

He's had a couple of years of injuries, so getting minutes around the squad and starting some cup games (to build on his Wycombe cup game) was probably the idea.

I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.

I get that, I really do. But then, I like the winning of trophies and being there till the end of competitions we don't manage to win.

I know to always take highlights with a grain of salt but he really does look quite impressive.

He really does look impressive there. What’s great is he can clearly play on both sides, and I’d assume he’s fine playing either inverted or out wide, so he’s a no brainer signing. Also, something quite rare… when he’s playing on the right, although he’s left footed, he still goes around the outside and crosses with his right foot plenty. Most will just keep cutting in, but he seems confident enough in his weak foot to use it. Looks to have everything we need for Pep to mould him.

Decent call, you could maybe say Trippier winning league titles at Atletico
And without winning anything Sancho was much coveted at Dortmund. But not many, tbf, you’re correct
Did one of our Spanish lads win a title as a sub at Milan?

And of course, Eric Garcia, who is now Barcelona's Vincent Kompany.

He really does look impressive there. What’s great is he can clearly play on both sides, and I’d assume he’s fine playing either inverted or out wide, so he’s a no brainer signing. Also, something quite rare… when he’s playing on the right, although he’s left footed, he still goes around the outside and crosses with his right foot plenty. Most will just keep cutting in, but he seems confident enough in his weak foot to use it. Looks to have everything we need for Pep to mould him.
Totally agree with you.
He’s v much in the Cancelo mode but left rather than right footed.
Seems v comfortable at right back which makes him an ideal back up for Walker too if needed.
Really like the look of this boy.
Different gravy to Zinchenko.
I don’t think he’s bound for Girona.

He's had a couple of years of injuries, so getting minutes around the squad and starting some cup games (to build on his Wycombe cup game) was probably the idea.

And that wouldn't change with the arrival oh Gomez or a more senior LB, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.