Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only see this signing as city to improve him & sell on in 2/3 years & make a profit
What I don't get is, it was only last week several fans were lamenting why Brighton can unearth a €15m Cucurella, where 12 months later 2 PL giants were battling for his signature by lodging £40m & £62m bids, but City can never seemingly unearth these gems?

Now we're reportedly signing a very promising LB for €15m plus add-ons, with a sell on clause, but we're only doing it to develop the player to sell for a profit?

Why can't City be doing a Brighton here & only be looking to sell on if Gomez doesn't make the grade? Are players only worthy of a longterm future at City if they cost north of £50m? :-/

I'd never heard of Gomez previously, let alone seen him play a match, but from the "Best of" YouTube highlight reels I've seen, the kid looks promising.

He's played right back, left back, right midfield, left midfield, as a No 8 & on both left & right wings. He's evidently a creative attacking player who can defend too, VERY similar to one Marcelo!

Give the player a chance to prove himself mate... \0/

Last edited:
I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.
I had a similar argument with a Rag several years ago about the son of a friend of his who was released by City, leaving the boy & his family devastated.

Apparently this kid was the dogs bollocks, & the Rag was disgusted that we'd thrown the boy on the scrapheap, so I asked him "If the boy's THAT great, why haven't ManUre signed him for free?"

Several minutes of bluster & excuses were spewed out until I told him to focus & asked the question again, whereby he deflected & changed the subject to our FFP woes.

You see it's like this... If we've sold these players on or released them it's usually with good reason. How many of these released/sold on players have ended up playing for domestic League challenging, regular Champions League competing clubs?

Most have gone on to carve out privileged careers at mid-table PL to lower league clubs & live a lifestyle that most of us can only dream of, so should they be angry & bitter at City for being sold on or released, or grateful for the football education & character grounding we afforded them?

Sancho was very different as we didn't want him to leave, but he wanted to play first team football as a 17/18 year old when there were several better senior players ahead of him at City.

In stark contrast, Foden bided his time & proved himself & Zinchenko fought against the odds to prove he was good enough for us & carved out an excellent PL & international career, earning him a mid-career move to one of the London giants.

If they're good enough to be in a squad which has been challenging for the PL & CL most seasons, they've all the opportunity in the world to prove it at City.

Decent call, you could maybe say Trippier winning league titles at Atletico
And without winning anything Sancho was much coveted at Dortmund. But not many, tbf, you’re correct
Did one of our Spanish lads win a title as a sub at Milan?
Brahim Diaz?

Tbf he looked head and shoulders above everyone at EDS level.

Just shows how big of a step it is to make it in our first team squad.

This could be one of those deals that we have all spoken about in the past? Gomez is obviously talented and maybe a year or two with Pep could bear fruit and he turns out to be top class? Rather than us loan him out or sell with a buy back and end up signing him for £50m if he does well elsewhere?

It's being suggested its £11m which could rise to over 15 in add-ons and they have a 15% add-on in the contract. I think this one is a calculated gamble, if it works great, if not then loan him out and hope for an Angelino situation.

I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.
Embarrassing? Completely different mindset to me there bud. I’m extremely proud of how many of our academy players have made it as professional footballers

Why do you find it embarrassing?

A new low. Jebus, where do you start with this tripe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.