Sergio Ramos

I couldn't care what an insecure few on this forum think. The whole point of these platforms is to express your opinions, not take orders from General Consensus; if you think our team and transfer policy are faultless and without potential for improvement then good luck to you, but you have to accept that other people think otherwise and will propose ways in which to improve them.

None of our current centre halves are up to the standard set by Chelsea; the pre-Pellegrini Kompany was, but his current form simply hasn't been good enough. Demichelis has cost us more goals with individual errors in 2 seasons than Lescott did in 5, and Mangala's first season wasn't anywhere near as good as Nastasic's, despite the Serb experiencing all the same mitigating circumstances that people use to excuse Mangala's mistakes.

Kompany can come again, but it's essential that we find him an intelligent partner to establish the kind of familiarity and stability that allowed him to previously prosper. Mangala and Demichelis go AWOL far to often to fit that description, and Ramos would be the same. There's a 21 year old defender at Everton who was the best on the pitch against us, the Rags and Chelsea who ticks every box, but it looks like the latter will sign him and groom him alongside John Terry with a view to succeeding him.

Stones and a proper midfield anchor should have been our primary targets this summer, as an improved defence with a resurrected Kompany would take us closer to Chelsea next season than any marquee 'Golactico' signing can. Hopefully we have a few targets that have gone under the radar because if not our potential attacking brilliance next season will be neutralised by defensive ineptitude.

Mascherano still regards himself as a defensive midfielder despite being used almost exclusively in defence by Barca in the past 5 years; a chance to play there for the remainder of his career, alongside international teammates in a league he's already excelled in might just appeal to him.
Yawn
Still chatting shit

Think Mangala at his worst last season, chasing the ball/man around like an 8 year old in the playground; that's Ramos' approach to playing centre half, albeit with more technical ability and discipline problems. He'll get exposed just as David Luiz was.

We already have two of those types in the aforementioned Mangala and Demichelis, plus Kompany, who's got a big season ahead of him. Our next centre half has to be an intelligent one, positionally impeccable and composed both on the ball and in his decision making. Ramos would be no use to us in that regard; I'd take him as leftback, but that's all.

You dont think Mangala, Demi of Vinnie are intelligent? Wow

You dont think Mangala, Demi of Vinnie are intelligent? Wow

Leave the poor chap alone, he's John Stone's agent and he's desperate to get the kid a move away from Everton before the 'young and English' hype wears off.

I couldn't care what an insecure few on this forum think. The whole point of these platforms is to express your opinions, not take orders from General Consensus; if you think our team and transfer policy are faultless and without potential for improvement then good luck to you, but you have to accept that other people think otherwise and will propose ways in which to improve them.

None of our current centre halves are up to the standard set by Chelsea; the pre-Pellegrini Kompany was, but his current form simply hasn't been good enough. Demichelis has cost us more goals with individual errors in 2 seasons than Lescott did in 5, and Mangala's first season wasn't anywhere near as good as Nastasic's, despite the Serb experiencing all the same mitigating circumstances that people use to excuse Mangala's mistakes.

Kompany can come again, but it's essential that we find him an intelligent partner to establish the kind of familiarity and stability that allowed him to previously prosper. Mangala and Demichelis go AWOL far to often to fit that description, and Ramos would be the same. There's a 21 year old defender at Everton who was the best on the pitch against us, the Rags and Chelsea who ticks every box, but it looks like the latter will sign him and groom him alongside John Terry with a view to succeeding him.

Stones and a proper midfield anchor should have been our primary targets this summer, as an improved defence with a resurrected Kompany would take us closer to Chelsea next season than any marquee 'Golactico' signing can. Hopefully we have a few targets that have gone under the radar because if not our potential attacking brilliance next season will be neutralised by defensive ineptitude.

Mascherano still regards himself as a defensive midfielder despite being used almost exclusively in defence by Barca in the past 5 years; a chance to play there for the remainder of his career, alongside international teammates in a league he's already excelled in might just appeal to him.

Chelsea central defenders except possibly Zouma (who I havent seen enough of) would be a disaster in our system. All of ours would thrive in theirs.

Some good points there. For me Mascherano was Player of the Tournament in the World Cup last year. He was IMMENSE in central midfield for Argentina i don't think he put a foot wrong. Not a bad under the radar shout for our anchor in midfield - in that position players at the top level can still play into their mid 30s as well so we could get three good years out of him. But i just don't see it being something that will happen.

And while i am constantly looking on in disbelief at our centre halves [bar Demichelis] (Demi was far and away our best defender of any position last season!) under Pellegrini's tactics, and Stones looked great in the Prem last season though so it is a good shout, but i wouldn't mind seeing how Denayer goes really.

But i do agree that we do not need another front foot defender like Ramos to play alongside, the already rash and not very composed under Pelle's tactics, Kompany. We need a calmer more compsed player there - another Demichelis! Or, as i kept saying after seeing Demichelis and Mangala look miles ahead of any other partnership we had at the back last season - play Demi and Mangala - but again, i can;t see that happening.

One last thing though is that Chelsea's centre halves are not that good - it is just Mourinho's tactics that make them look so...look at Kompany when our tactics were for defenders to take their time and read what was opening up in front of them...put Cahill in our current tactics and he'd look like a Bolton player again (see his England performances!)

Last edited by a moderator:
John Stones better signing than Ramos. Love that one, proper Transfer Forum stuff

He would be a better signing! Even if he is not as good as ramos! Good player, great potential, wouldn't cost 40m and 250k a week and we could get 10 years out of him not 3

He would be a better signing! Even if he is not as good as ramos! Good player, great potential, wouldn't cost 40m and 250k a week and we could get 10 years out of him not 3

Why do you think Everton would let us have John Stones cheap, when they wanted 20 odd mil for Lescott 6 years go ?

If we wanted to sign cbs with potential, there will be less expensive & possibly better ones than John Stones knocking around Europe, & we also have at least 3 kids at City, plus Denayer (who imo is way better than Stones in every way except physical size) who have a decent chance of coming through in the next 3/4/ 5/6 years.

I don't want Ramos but I don't want us to clog up the team with 'potential' brought in from elsewhere when we don't actually need to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.