Serie A Thread - 2023/24

Mazzarri lost his head coach role just this evening, now there is Calzona, that 99% of italians don't know who is. I had to read on Wiki he worked for Slovakia national team!
Some pranksters on the web just started to call him "Calzone", that is a sort of a closed pizza very famous in Naples.

I personally think, but it's a view quite shared here, that match played a huge role in what Inter is doing this year.

It gave us determination and consciousness we could face on an even footing a big team as City is in nowadays. It's more a psychological thing, than putting it on the matter of formal values and player ratings. Last year, from middle March to June, Inter was in good shape mentally and athletically and that final was a one-off match, a sort of a cherry on top.

We were the underdog without burdens on us. This is why before the match, I wrote we had a 45% of winning percentage (if I remember well). But in that match the only thing we succeeded to do was only to contain, to contain and to contain. Our scoring chances didn't arise from a well-orchestrated job, offensively speaking.

But ... that defeat was a huge benefit, looking back. I personally wasn't even frustrated, despite a Champions League final is a rare event, yet I wouldn't have never imagined that we could do so good this year.

By the way, Serie A is far from over, and Atletico Madrid is an interesting opponent. So there's a realistic chance to be eliminated so early (but every stage and opponent from now on will be hard). For sure I hope not, and wish Inter wants to show in Europe as well the same good playing Inzaghi is working on since he signed.
Thanks for your reply. I agree that reaching the final last year has played a part in the attitude and strength you are showing this year. Whilst I am sure no one at Inter are counting their chickens before they hatch, they'd be daft too, you look the strongest and most complete team so far. Good luck with your season.

As for Atletico, 'interesting opponent' made me smile, they were tough when we played them, very physical but I am sure you know that!

Thanks blue_whippet! (also for the idiom, I lack many of them). About it, the idiom, what we learnt in these years is Inzaghi is methodical and he likes to mind step by step, match after match. He understood the psychological importance of UCL since his first season here: at the end of that season he was asked what he would have wanted to change. Everyone expected some words about national title just lost, yet he didn't reply "I want to play again February match against AC Milan", but "I'd want to play against Liverpool at Anfield, and reach the QF". Last year, many players confessed they had been counting their chickens before being hatched, as you say, after it was clear we were wiped away for the run to the Scudetto before December '22. I think they learnt to be humble and the importance of sacrifice. For their admission some of them already thought too early to be the best team thanks to Conte's years.

Today Brehme passed away, fans and club have been in love with him still now. Also because his attitude towards us after his retirement. This will be a strong motivation to do well this evening. May God bless him.

"Interesting" because they say Atletico changed its style in playing. At least, since I haven't been watching games for their part this season,except for that match in Saudi against Real, I ignore if they did it slighty or radically. I've to trust what I read and hear, and so the "interest" is more for me about them :)
Don't know whether to expect from them a strenuous defense or ball possession. But if they will play as Sociedad did with us (and with PSG for the 1st half) there will be circumstances to put pressure on us, because we suffer that kind of playing made of pressing all around (and good technique in touching the ball, skill that Atletico has always had).

Looking like another three points for Bologna who move up to 4th. They are having a great season and captained by Lewis Ferguson

Definitely do not want to face this Inter team on current form.

It’s not even that they’re gung-ho but they just give off the feeling of robustness and resilience.

It’s not even that they’re gung-ho but they just give off the feeling of robustness and resilience.
It’s amazing how effective they are, even with Sanches, Mkhitarayn, Arnautovic, Darmian and Klaasen playing regularly.

Agree. I think they look a really strong and focused team this year.

Agree. I think they look a really strong and focused team this year.
Yup. Thing is, they haven’t slowed down. They haven’t had a spike or massive dip in performance. It’s just…consistent is the word I’m probably looking.

Not to say I don’t believe in the lads. I’ll always do that till the final whistle but just need the lads to start flowing as they usually do.

Exactly. Effective is the word. It’s not that they look like poetry in motion, however, they seem like a well oiled machine…effective as you put it.
Plus, they’re better for not having Onana and Lukaku.

It’ll be interesting to see how winning their league really early affects their form.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.