Serious question relating to us and FFP(update P17)

Re: Serious question relating to us and FFP

unexpected item said:
UEFA and the EU have got FFP all stitched up between them with the EU fully agreeing with UEFA's FFP framework. Any appeal to EU courts will be thrown out imo.

vHULiCl.png

TAYYOlD.png
That's illegal and won't stand up in court.

Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
unexpected item said:
UEFA and the EU have got FFP all stitched up between them with the EU fully agreeing with UEFA's FFP framework. Any appeal to EU courts will be thrown out imo.

vHULiCl.png

TAYYOlD.png
That's illegal and won't stand up in court.
"...we discussed our concerns about the financial viability of certain football clubs"

Can't begin to imagine who they were talking about, bent bastards.

"Concerns". They have no fookin' concerns about us at all, we all know it. Again, Sheikh Mansour should offer to sign a contract guaranteeing City £1billion of cash to avoid 'disaster' if he decides he's had enough, see what UEFA have to say about that since their whole dodgy logic behind these rules is "What if the rich owners pull out?".

LoveCity said:
"Concerns". They have no fookin' concerns about us at all, we all know it. Again, Sheikh Mansour should offer to sign a contract guaranteeing City £1billion of cash to avoid 'disaster' if he decides he's had enough, see what UEFA have to say about that since their whole dodgy logic behind these rules is "What if the rich owners pull out?".
Exactly, they're not concerned about our financial viability at all. If that was the case they could ask Mansour to act as a personal guarantor for any football related debt the club was unable to pay. I reckon he'd just about pass the credit check!

What Uefa are concerned about is the G-14 setting up on their own. FFP has been brought in to protect the interests of the G-14, and in turn, Uefa. It's an absolute scandal and I can't believe that Martin Samuel is the only high profile journalist who has done anything to highlight the biggest stitch up in the history of football.

As prestwich blue mentioned.It is just political now and a bit of a pantomime.

Not worried at all about City.

Income streams/turnover rocketing
Stadium expansion
Wages reducing
Sponsorships increasing-I believe a few more deals are in the pipeline
New tv deal increasing-Does anybody know what that is worth to us next season compared to the current deal.

I really don't care about Uefa/FFP....PSG have made sure of making a mockery with there recent deal.

Probably already posted here somewhere , but City stressing this morning that there's nothing to worry about ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-cool-financial-fair-1293180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ir-1293180</a>

bluscuba said:
Is there anything in FFP that prevents a player having an individual sponsorship deal with a related party? For example an Abu Dhabi company may choose to sponsor falcao or cavani 10 million per year on a season by season basis ( with the wages being paid by City consequently being much lower). Its obviously illegal to restrict an individual's earnings so I can't see how this would not work. It's not in the 'spirit' of FFP but then again the rules are made to protect the elite so why would newcomers care.

A player can sign sponsorship deals with whoever they like, if UEFA tried to tie these earnings with a football club it would be impossible to enforce and the players would not stand for it anyway. Players aren't required to divulge earnings to anyone other than HMRC.

When Ronaldo went to Inter Milan, Continental or Pirelli Tyres, can't recall which one, and Nike, contributed more than 70 per cent towards his salary.

Neymar gets paid only £100,000 a month from Santos but they brokered 11 companies to pay him another £850,000 A MONTH!!!!!

This is the only way to go. Pay our top players a basic £100k a week and be paid directly by companies outside of City.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
As prestwich blue mentioned.It is just political now and a bit of a pantomime.

Not worried at all about City.

Income streams/turnover rocketing
Stadium expansion
Wages reducing
Sponsorships increasing-I believe a few more deals are in the pipeline
New tv deal increasing-Does anybody know what that is worth to us next season compared to the current deal.

I really don't care about Uefa/FFP....PSG have made sure of making a mockery with there recent deal.

yup this exactly.

i'm not worried in the slightest.

I shall not copy the whole of Almunia's letters, but I shall put them in context. The letters date from 21 March 2012. They do not mention City or any other club by name, because they are not concerned with any specific club. In March 2012 the German press was outraged at the contribution expected of the German taxpayer to bail out Spanish banks. Das Bild went further and asked for how long German taxpayers were to be expected to pay the wages of Messi and Ronaldo among others because it had become clear that all but one or two Spanish clubs owed very large sums of money indeed to the Spanish government in unpaid tax. The fear was that the Spanish government would waive these debts, as it had in the past. This could be construed as a state subsidy to a competing enterprise and would be against EU competition law. Almunia explains that the EU is confident that FFP “is also consistent with the aims and objectives of European Union policy in the field of state aid.” This gives the green light for UEFA to take action against Spanish clubs which do not pay their debts to the Spanish government. City are not mentioned because they are not concerned. This issue concerned only Spanish clubs and only the question of state aid.

Interestingly the letter talks approves of the broader question of the need for tight financial regulation in very difficult times. It mentions the need to “live within your means” and to “break even” and it alludes to clubs which pay “inflated transfer fees and wages … even when their true financial position should not allow them to do so.” This is assumed to be a dire warning to City that their “sugar daddy” will not be allowed to spend “funny money” on players and wages. Several points must be made about this interpretation.

The first is that the statement refers exclusively to Spanish tax dodgers! In the very next paragraph to his assertions of convergence between FFP and state aid policy he continues, “such policy of clubs (ie transfer fees and wages) seems particularly unjustified in the context of the economic downturn where austerity measures are being introduced in all member states.” This is a clear reference to government policy in Spain and the position of its football clubs. If those hostile to City argue that Almunia's letter shows support for a wider application of FFP than in cases of “state aid”, and that it shows support for action against City, they are reading words not to be found in the letter. The word Almunia uses is “inflated” about transfer fees and wages. The belief in football is that not since 2009 have City paid above market value for a player and that City's wage bill is large because of the number of players at the club, not because of the “inflated” wages paid to individuals. Then Almunia moves on to talk of clubs whose “true financial position should not allow them to do so.” If this refers to City then it has to be said that City's true position is that the owner pays off the annual deficit by buying shares and the club are debt free. His right to do so is protected by EU and British commercial law. It can be argued that Almunia is actually more worried by Manchester United, who had spent some £50 million in the window of summer 2011 and would bring in a £17 million midfielder and a £24 million striker (on £250 000 pw) in that of 2012, while their true position is that they are some £400 million in debt and hide their accounts in the Cayman Isles.

Now the warnings about sponsorship deals are, I suspect, so much chest beating. UEFA have shown themselves in the past to be stubbornly, stupidly arrogant, notably in the Bosman case. They ploughed on to the bitter end pursuing a case which everyone knew was hopeless and unwinnable. Their assertions that football was a special case and therefore beyond the reach of European law went down like the proverbial lead balloon. Now, Platini seems determined to tell the European courts that they not only decide which European laws apply to football (again!) but now, as a new twist!), he and his buddies actually make them.

I suspect, however, that the Sheikh will view this with scarcely concealed amusement. City have moved on a stage or two. The days of massive investment are over, and they paid off. There may well be a clear out in summer, others will come in. I don't know. But whatever happens will be carefully planned, financially balanced, done with footballing knowledge and expertise and along sound business lines. Michel who?

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I shall not copy the whole of Almunia's letters, but I shall put them in context. The letters date from 21 March 2012. They do not mention City or any other club by name, because they are not concerned with any specific club. In March 2012 the German press was outraged at the contribution expected of the German taxpayer to bail out Spanish banks. Das Bild went further and asked for how long German taxpayers were to be expected to pay the wages of Messi and Ronaldo among others because it had become clear that all but one or two Spanish clubs owed very large sums of money indeed to the Spanish government in unpaid tax. The fear was that the Spanish government would waive these debts, as it had in the past. This could be construed as a state subsidy to a competing enterprise and would be against EU competition law. Almunia explains that the EU is confident that FFP “is also consistent with the aims and objectives of European Union policy in the field of state aid.” This gives the green light for UEFA to take action against Spanish clubs which do not pay their debts to the Spanish government. City are not mentioned because they are not concerned. This issue concerned only Spanish clubs and only the question of state aid.

Interestingly the letter talks approves of the broader question of the need for tight financial regulation in very difficult times. It mentions the need to “live within your means” and to “break even” and it alludes to clubs which pay “inflated transfer fees and wages … even when their true financial position should not allow them to do so.” This is assumed to be a dire warning to City that their “sugar daddy” will not be allowed to spend “funny money” on players and wages. Several points must be made about this interpretation.

The first is that the statement refers exclusively to Spanish tax dodgers! In the very next paragraph to his assertions of convergence between FFP and state aid policy he continues, “such policy of clubs (ie transfer fees and wages) seems particularly unjustified in the context of the economic downturn where austerity measures are being introduced in all member states.” This is a clear reference to government policy in Spain and the position of its football clubs. If those hostile to City argue that Almunia's letter shows support for a wider application of FFP than in cases of “state aid”, and that it shows support for action against City, they are reading words not to be found in the letter. The word Almunia uses is “inflated” about transfer fees and wages. The belief in football is that not since 2009 have City paid above market value for a player and that City's wage bill is large because of the number of players at the club, not because of the “inflated” wages paid to individuals. Then Almunia moves on to talk of clubs whose “true financial position should not allow them to do so.” If this refers to City then it has to be said that City's true position is that the owner pays off the annual deficit by buying shares and the club are debt free. His right to do so is protected by EU and British commercial law. It can be argued that Almunia is actually more worried by Manchester United, who had spent some £50 million in the window of summer 2011 and would bring in a £17 million midfielder and a £24 million striker (on £250 000 pw) in that of 2012, while their true position is that they are some £400 million in debt and hide their accounts in the Cayman Isles.

Now the warnings about sponsorship deals are, I suspect, so much chest beating. UEFA have shown themselves in the past to be stubbornly, stupidly arrogant, notably in the Bosman case. They ploughed on to the bitter end pursuing a case which everyone knew was hopeless and unwinnable. Their assertions that football was a special case and therefore beyond the reach of European law went down like the proverbial lead balloon. Now, Platini seems determined to tell the European courts that they not only decide which European laws apply to football (again!) but now, as a new twist!), he and his buddies actually make them.

I suspect, however, that the Sheikh will view this with scarcely concealed amusement. City have moved on a stage or two. The days of massive investment are over, and they paid off. There may well be a clear out in summer, others will come in. I don't know. But whatever happens will be carefully planned, financially balanced, done with footballing knowledge and expertise and along sound business lines. Michel who?
You seem like a sound chap, I reckon you and Prestwich Blue should be recruited onto the City payroll (as a non-related item of course)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.