Seriously though, who had honestly ever heard of Akanji?

There’s been a couple of moments where I’ve thought, “why’s he not…?” and “what’s he done that for?”.

That cross from Reus for their goal the other night was right on his head, and he never even thought about attempting to head it.

That slide across the floor when Reus turned him inside was poor and is a recipe for giving a penalty away.

Despite looking completely controlled nearly all the time with the ball so far, three or four times yesterday he smashed a pass to nobody. One of them, he was under no pressure at all and just hammered it over Bernardo which had Pep bending over with his head in his hands (Dias did the same yesterday a few times… Rodri was going mad at the pair of them!)

He’s also not been tested yet. Sevilla, Dortmund and Wolves have had next to nowt up front.

But he looks dead calm, he’s got a good knack of looking forward into midfield first for his pass and usually makes them very well, with quick sharp and accurate passes. He moves into the passing lanes well when other players have the ball, making himself available.

He’s got pace and looks strong n’all.

Early days yet though.

Wasn't anything special at Dortmund. I'm really surprised at how good he's been, he's also checking behind him when teams attack us he never did that at Dortmund would always lose the runner. Peps probably been coaching him about that. That's the only thing at Dortmund that didn't make him a world class defender was little mistakes where he didn't track the runner. Or little mistakes when on the ball. So far it looks like Pep has taken those mistakes out of his game.
Pep is a genius, it is hard to believe none of Akanji's previous coaches thought to tell him to track the runner.

Have to say I'd not heard of him. Mind you, a few years back we signed another very decent defender for a very decent price who I'd not heard of!
Pablo someone??...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.