Set Pieces

There was clearly a plan last night to put it on the goalkeper. My only question is, why did that plan then change in the 89th minute?

The amount of corners we have a shocked we don't have 4/5 different types of corners! Maybe foden Kdb or anyone who can strike the ball well should line up our side the pen area and then each corner we at least have a shot on goal

Quite right but not everyone is like minded with you and are perfectly entitled to their views. Using derogatory name calling in a response is also another area where I disagree with your views.

Ok, so the concept of a forum is to post ones views which I did, you tried to be a smart arse insinuating I know better than Pep, how about if you don't agree with my views you just don't bother posting on the thread? Ignored.

Last edited:
Corners , crosses , penalties are of a staggering poor quality for a team of our calibre . That reflects very badly on the training ground work and tactical preparation . Countless times we hit the first man from a good position or just balloon it past . Palmer was decent at crossing but let’s not go there , Firing balls at the keeper with no result from every corner is naive. Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of stupidity.

Did we have a run of 80 corners without a goal under Pellegrini or have I dreamt it

So, we all know Pep is a genius, but he is also a pedant for detail...

How, can we be so bad at set pieces? I understand we do take the occasional decent free kicks but our corners and penalties are awful in general, even our throw ins seem to be wild and often result in us losing the ball.

Last night was just another game where we have not been able to make corners count, we are racking up a ridiculous amount of them with teams camped in their box so surely to God we should be utilising them more? I just can't see how we have a Manager who obsessed over the smallest detail yet we still cannot do something so fundamental to the game properly.
18 corners last night the average success rate is 3% therefore expected number of goals 0.54

So, we all know Pep is a genius, but he is also a pedant for detail...

How, can we be so bad at set pieces? I understand we do take the occasional decent free kicks but our corners and penalties are awful in general, even our throw ins seem to be wild and often result in us losing the ball.

Last night was just another game where we have not been able to make corners count, we are racking up a ridiculous amount of them with teams camped in their box so surely to God we should be utilising them more? I just can't see how we have a Manager who obsessed over the smallest detail yet we still cannot do something so fundamental to the game properly.

Obviously the figures below are for this season but looking back at last year a record 151 goals stemmed from corners, accounting for 13.9 per cent of all goals scored in the Premier League. Seems mad we aren't taking advantage where other teams clearly are doing.
Don't think we'll get an answer to why Pep doesn't really exploit set pieces.

We were top scorers from set pieces 2 or 3 seasons ago if I remember rightly, but the set piece coach moved on after that season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.