Sex Pistols Gigs, Free Trade Hall, June/July 1976

Blue2112 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
I regularly went to the FTH in those days but I was a Heavy Metal Kid so couldn't stand punks and would not have gone anywhere near a punk gig with my long(ish) hair. I did see the Damned support T.Rex at the Apollo.

Also, I've always liked the Pistols' album but they were just a metal band with dodgy vocals and most of them (The Pistols), secretly - at the time - just wanted to be Led Zep: I'm sure I've read interviews where they admitted that. I still like the Clash and Ramones too but only ever bought their music on cd.

Punk and metal were more closely related than either cared to admit.

I always and still do believe that Punk was for blokes that weren't good enough to play Metal. Never could understand why my mates used to all say 'why do you like heavy metal you cant understand anything they're supposed to be singing and it's all just noise' yet I've always thought metal musicians to be unequalled in their playing.
There is a difference between metal and 'screamo'

Too young. I used to listen to my Uncle's Sex Pistols tapes, and a vhs he had although I can't remember that..

Same goes for Acid House. Was about 14 listening to sunset 102 with iggy and the phone in's or 'shout outs' And wasn't allowed anywhere near Manchester centre at night on my own!

kp789 said:
Blue2112 said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I always and still do believe that Punk was for blokes that weren't good enough to play Metal. Never could understand why my mates used to all say 'why do you like heavy metal you cant understand anything they're supposed to be singing and it's all just noise' yet I've always thought metal musicians to be unequalled in their playing.
There is a difference between metal and 'screamo'

Screamo is this a new musical genre that I've missed?

Is this the new type of American grufty male voice sreaming down the microphone that you refer to as if it is I would definetly agree.

I was ten in '76, so way too young to attend these gigs, but I loved the music when I first went to secondary school, and my mates' older siblings shared their punk collections, especially on cassette tapes - brilliant :)

I don't think music like the Pistols, Damned, Stranglers and the Clash will ever particularly "date" as they're just so good, along with plenty of other bands from the era too many to list now, but not to recognise there were tons of appalling bands that followed, which is the same in every musical genre once the creative souls have exhausted themselves/moved on.

The New Romantic era quickly followed, which I am quite fascinated by at the moment as out of it, and the ashes of Punk, came the Goth classics which young people would recognise today.

Bands like the Southern Death Cult, Bauhaus, Play Dead, Siouxsie, the Sisters of Mercy were favourites live, as well as on vinyl and in the clubs - anyone remember Berlin and Cloud Nine, as well as the Ritz of course (is this still going?) - these were all big parts of my later teen years, and so of course hold a lot of fond memories (even if many were proper cringeworthy).

Blue2112 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
I regularly went to the FTH in those days but I was a Heavy Metal Kid so couldn't stand punks and would not have gone anywhere near a punk gig with my long(ish) hair. I did see the Damned support T.Rex at the Apollo.

Also, I've always liked the Pistols' album but they were just a metal band with dodgy vocals and most of them (The Pistols), secretly - at the time - just wanted to be Led Zep: I'm sure I've read interviews where they admitted that. I still like the Clash and Ramones too but only ever bought their music on cd.

That was kind of the point, though. Punk opened the door to young working class lads to form their own band with their own sound. Music was never the same.

I remember coming back into town from a night match, it must have been 76-77, there were a group of punks at the back of the bus singing beat on the brat with a baseball bat. It was the first time I had seen or heard of punks. Within two weeks we were all raiding our Grandads wardrobe for old shit stopper pants and getting our Grans to sew zips in the legs. I can clearly remember Siouxsie being the only band yet to sign a record deal (bought Hong Kong Garden the day it came out in the underground market), and being given Another Music badges at the Clash gig at Belle Vue. I still have all the old singles from back then and get them out occasionaly.

Barcon said:
I remember coming back into town from a night match, it must have been 76-77, there were a group of punks at the back of the bus singing beat on the brat with a baseball bat. It was the first time I had seen or heard of punks. Within two weeks we were all raiding our Grandads wardrobe for old shit stopper pants and getting our Grans to sew zips in the legs. I can clearly remember Siouxsie being the only band yet to sign a record deal (bought Hong Kong Garden the day it came out in the underground market), and being given Another Music badges at the Clash gig at Belle Vue. I still have all the old singles from back then and get them out occasionaly.
How can you like Ramones but not have time for Beach Boys?
Da Bruddaz would not have existed without the Boys.

I was at the second FTH gig... Spent almost all of the Slaughter set talking to Howard Devoto. The Pistols were errr 'different' but obviously something a bit special.

For over 35 years I thought that it was the 'legendary' first gig I'd attended... My good friend Mad Eyed Screamer put me right on that in no uncertain terms not so long ago (he made me feel a right ****) :)

I was never a great fan of British punk. Once I saw the Ramones, I realised that all other 'punk' bands were second raters.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

Lavinda Past said:
I was at the second FTH gig... Spent almost all of the Slaughter set talking to Howard Devoto. The Pistols were errr 'different' but obviously something a bit special.

For over 35 years I thought that it was the 'legendary' first gig I'd attended... My good friend Mad Eyed Screamer put me right on that in no uncertain terms not so long ago (he made me feel a right ****) :)

I was never a great fan of British punk. Once I saw the Ramones, I realised that all other 'punk' bands were second raters.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

The pistols were amazing that night. The Ramones were a top band......Buzzcocks, Clash, Ruts, SLF were anything but second class.

We were at the same gig and I also spent a bit of time with Devoto that night as Shelley was a mutual friend. Small world ;.)

Lavinda Past said:

Gabba Gabba Hey!

Last of The Ramones at Academy tomorrow night....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.