Shakhtar (A)-Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree wasteful but it’s was said we were poor in the final third I don’t call ripping teams to shreds in the final third poor imo

It’s a fine margin. I think ban jani was generalising when he used that terminology.

We work so hard when we don't have the ball these days. They had some possession and multiple tries to pass through our defense and we smothered them. Also our defending from crsses into the box is class.

Cracking performance, some very assured performances and bodes very well for the season that we maintain that level even with so many changes.

What a signing he was. In terms of consistency he is right up there for me, one of those relatively low key players who are nonetheless important to the functioning of the team. I know we all worry slightly about the day when we can no longer rely on Fern, but I really hope that we are never in the position where we loose Laporte for an extended period.
A very important and trusted player to Pep, it makes all the difference having a naturally left footed player in the centre at the back, I just hope he never plays him at left back again, every time he's played him there he's been shite.

Shakhtar Donetsk 0-3 Manchester City / Ten points!

1. City give strong performance and back to where they belong, top of Group F.
2. David Silva is prime reason for the fightback after defeat at home to Lyon on MD1.
3. De Bruyne had perfect 68min workout.
4. Mahrez is hitting absolute top gear, I will pick him in my EPL fantasy team soon.
5. That said, picking ManCity players for fantasy team is a real headache as all ten outfield players can score and any five from the squad, barring Ederson, can be benched! I picked Sterling & Otamendi today, but Silva, Laporte & Silva scored!
6. City could have scored ten today but were extremely wasteful in front of goal. Pep’s ManCity create far more chances than Pep’s Barca or Pep’s Bayern, but this City team miss a lot of chances to bury too.
7. On defensive side Stones and Otamendi had few slip ups, expectedly. Stones was playing as RB and Otamendi was playing after some gap, but overall didn’t hurt much.
8. Ederson was tested twice and another occasion came out to play in midfield leaving the goal open!
9. In Mendy Otamendi Laporte Stones, City actually have an extremely tall, street smart, burly, rough and tough defensive unit. A fact which is often overlooked under their slick passing non stop goals.
10. Aguero & Sane got complete rest today so should be fast off the blocks vs Tottenham!

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, it is much more psychologically damaging for opponents, to have a defensive unit which can also be solid, like tonight, rather than Pep's traditional 'nice football, pressing, but gives you a chance' routine.

At times tonight, we looked like a world class version of Mancini's team but with much more pace & inventiveness. (Tbf, Edin would have scored 5 goals though). We played periods like that at Anfield, too, rather than caving in like pussies, silenced them & should have won.

I said then that we looked like a Champions League winning team. If we defend like this, rather than like v Monaco & Liverpool in past seasons, we will win it imo.

The thing is, Pep's not changed things, we're just doing what he was trying to do before, better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.