Shamima Begum

Remember she has a state just not the one she was brought up in, so I'd consider correcting your post

Whether she is stateless or not is up in the air. The BBC, Al-Jazira and the Guardian have all referred to her as stateless this afternoon or “effectively stateless”

A UK tribunal accepted arguments by UK lawyers that she had Bangladeshi citizenship before turning 21, but ultimately the only authority on who is and isn’t a Bangladeshi citizen is the government and courts of Bangladesh and they have been unequivocal that you have the right to Bengali citizenship if your parent is born there, you don’t automatically have the citizenship.

I can only imagine how some people in this country would react to a foreign government dictating our citizenship laws and telling us they were wrong.

Anyway, if major reputable news publications are happy with calling her stateless then I am.

Whether she is stateless or not is up in the air. The BBC, Al-Jazira and the Guardian have all referred to her as stateless this afternoon or “effectively stateless”

A UK tribunal accepted arguments by UK lawyers that she had Bangladeshi citizenship before turning 21, but ultimately the only authority on who is and isn’t a Bangladeshi citizen is the government and courts of Bangladesh and they have been unequivocal that you have the right to Bengali citizenship if your parent is born there, you don’t automatically have the citizenship.

I can only imagine how some people in this country would react to a foreign government dictating our citizenship laws and telling us they were wrong.

Anyway, if major reputable news publications are happy with calling her stateless then I am.

it really isn't, it's a fact that she has Bangali citizenship. Not sure why you'd say otherwise, it's a yes/no answer

When I first saw this thread had resurfaced I was thinking she had passed away.

I’ve seen arguments from both sides on here but why not proceed with a “trial in absentia”? I know this is a unique one but let’s say she’s found guilty and given a 20 year custodial sentence for Terrorism charges (as we all know that’s 10 years in reality), wether she’d be as keen to return home knowing she’s doing porridge for a good few years.
13 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.