Shamima Begum

We are following the system though, like I said I think she may well end up here. But you can't have it both ways and say we must follow the legalities until you disagree with someone in that process.

BTW every country play fast and loose with international obligations and my main disagreement is those that bleat she was some dopey kid and was somehow conned into being an evil little shit.
We can argue forever and a day but if she were never to return I wouldn't lose a wink.

There are far more deserving people we should be concerned about rather than this turd that we can't flush.

I don’t think anyone is saying to have it both ways? Like I said, I’ve agreed with the legal position of the judges all the way through, where I disagree is with the decision of the Home Secretary.

I don’t care about her personally, I think too many people on both sides of the argument are too concerned about her individually.

"She's never wanted to go there" irrelevant argument.

"they’ve said all along she wasn’t a citizen" They're own law states otherwise

Like I said go and research the law before making incorrect statements

I did, that’s why I put what the judges found rather than my own statement…

"She's never wanted to go there" irrelevant argument.

"they’ve said all along she wasn’t a citizen" They're own law states otherwise

Like I said go and research the law before making incorrect statements

If the UK can strip her of citizenship then Bangladesh can also deny her citizenship.

If Bangladesh is legally bound to honour her citizenship and abide by that then what does that say about us? What value is your or my citizenship if it can be removed or denied by the whim of one individual?

The issue is the decision by the then Home Secretary, not the law so far.

It’s going through the process to see how much they can be held accountable as we’ve not had such people in office that flounce international law, so our legal system is having to learn how to deal with that.

The fact that people are happy to leave a citizen as de facto stateless to satisfy their want doesn’t sit right with me.

Saying that we can only say what we want to happen is false. We have a legal system that is there to try people who have broken the law, not leave them untried.

Due process doesn’t seem to be needed on social media these days. It’s just “bring back the noose” etc. Nuance is dead.

She isn’t a victim, she’s a criminal that needs bringing to justice.

I meant you, me and others can only say what we want. We have no control of the outcome.

I know it doesn't sit right with you, I would be fine with it. It's a difference of opinion.

We have this opinion but ain't in charge. This is pretty much exactly what I wrote. Unless you're about to hold some government position my point cannot be argued against.

It can be both. As an underage teen she was a victim. This does not absolve her from any crimes she may have committed. We have washed our hands of her for expediency and because she was high profile. It has nothing to do with our safety because we have allowed others in similar circumstances to stay.

We took the easy route and the cowards route and created a precedent that will be misused in the future.

Opinion.

Having let others stay is not a valid enough reason. I would have been happy for them not to come back either.

Two wrongs don't make a right we just dont agree on what the wrong is.

The home secretary has made a decision, that is part of the process, as law lovers just let the process take its course.

I'm just happy some posters will forever argue for the law even in morally dubious cases. Thank god we don't have hypocrites on here:-)

Opinion.

Having let others stay is not a valid enough reason. I would have been happy for them not to come back either.

The home secretary has made a decision, that is part of the process, as law lovers just let the process take its course.

I'm just happy some posters will forever argue for the law even in morally dubious cases. Thank god we don't have hypocrites on here:-)

Not sure I get your point here, are you saying anyone that believes in the law has to agree with every government decision?

I’ve not seen anyone argue the judges findings.

Opinion.

Yes. As is yours. As was the Home Secretary’s. In your opinion removing citizenship on an arbitrary and subjective basis is correct. I do not as the scope for misuse of that power is too great.

The courts will determine whether the HS had the legal right to make that decision; not whether the decision was the correct one to make. The first point is a matter of law as it stands. The second point is for the Government to ponder the wisdom of placing too much power over every citizens right to citizenship in the hands of one individual.

If the UK can strip her of citizenship then Bangladesh can also deny her citizenship.

If Bangladesh is legally bound to honour her citizenship and abide by that then what does that say about us? What value is your or my citizenship if it can be removed or denied by the whim of one individual?

wrong I'm afraid, you can't be left without a citizenship as that's illegal, UK stripped her at the time she had dual citizenship therefore still had a citizenship in a different country. That different country can't now strip it away I'm afraid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.