Shamima Begum

A UK tribunal accepted arguments by UK lawyers that she had Bangladeshi citizenship before turning 21, but ultimately the only authority on who is and isn’t a Bangladeshi citizen is the government and courts of Bangladesh and they have been unequivocal that you have the right to Bengali citizenship if your parent is born there, you don’t automatically have the citizenship.
You’ve acknowledged but skipped over the key point there - possibly accidentally, possibly deliberately - she is entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship, she just has to apply for it, so she is wilfully stateless at this point.

Of course, she doesn’t want Bangladeshi citizenship as they’ve made clear she will be tried for her alleged crimes and executed if/when found guilty.

Instead she is now applying for Dutch citizenship by marriage, which she is not entitled to but is pursuing as it’s her only route now out of Syria that wouldn’t see her face capital punishment if found guilty of her alleged crimes.

wrong I'm afraid, you can't be left without a citizenship as that's illegal, UK stripped her at the time she had dual citizenship therefore still had a citizenship in a different country. That different country can't now strip it away I'm afraid.
She didn’t have dual citizenship. She was entitled to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship but hadn’t, and although she would normally be granted citizenship under jus sanguinis, in this case the Bangladeshi government have publicly stated she would be refused if she did apply for it. Perhaps you need to do a bit of research yourself.

She didn’t have dual citizenship. She was entitled to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship but hadn’t, and although she would normally be granted citizenship under jus sanguinis, in this case the Bangladeshi government have publicly stated she would be refused if she did apply for it. Perhaps you need to do a bit of research yourself.

Moot point judges made the call, I will go with the judges decision on this one.

The court also held that Javid had acted lawfully even if it meant Begum, now 24, was effectively stateless – because she theoretically held Bangladeshi citizenship, which applied up to her 21st birthday, at the time of his decision in 2019.

wrong I'm afraid, you can't be left without a citizenship as that's illegal, UK stripped her at the time she had dual citizenship therefore still had a citizenship in a different country. That different country can't now strip it away I'm afraid.

So, the ability to strip citizenship is a race to see who can do it first, even if the other country isn’t aware it’s a race? Charming.

Last time I looked Bangladesh has claimed she is not a Bangladeshi citizen. Whether that claim would stand up in Bangladeshi courts remains to be seen and unless Begrum challenges the Bangladeshi Govt that is still the position. The UK asserts she does have Bangladeshi citizenship so is the UK now interpreting Bangladeshi law on behalf of Bangladesh? A somewhat colonial attitude but there you go.

Anyway, to recap. Not a UK citizen. Not a Bangladeshi citizen. Note: The UK stating she is a Bangladeshi citizen doesn’t actually make her one. That decision is for the Bangladeshi Govt and courts. Sovereignty and all that.

UK judges asserting and interpreting Bangladeshi law on behalf of Bangladesh and in this case contrary to the Bangladeshi Govt?

Dude, ever heard of sovereignty?

I don't care about Bangladesh, argue with the law these judges made the decision for us.

And it was the right call.

You’ve acknowledged but skipped over the key point there - possibly accidentally, possibly deliberately - she is entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship, she just has to apply for it, so she is wilfully stateless at this point.

Of course, she doesn’t want Bangladeshi citizenship as they’ve made clear she will be tried for her alleged crimes and executed if/when found guilty.

Instead she is now applying for Dutch citizenship by marriage, which she is not entitled to but is pursuing as it’s her only route now out of Syria that wouldn’t see her face capital punishment if found guilty of her alleged crimes.

Your first paragraph should be past tense, that was all true at the point Javid made his decision.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.