Shamima Begum

Never had you down for a fellow traveller ; )
I'll never forget a classmate, from a very middle class, well-off home in leafy Cheshire chanting "Smash the bourgeoisie. Smash the bourgeoisie".

No idea what happened to him after we left school but I often picture him retired to his French farmhouse, with Winter trips to his Swiss ski chalet, to which his kids looked forward to during their Easter holidays from their boarding school.

Exactly, a Syrian Prison. With no access or rights to British citizenship and the benefits thereof whatsover (having previously willingly rejected and publicly renounced it.)

The longer she stays in Syrian/Kurdish custody the better. Her whole life, as far as i'm concerned.
I make no judgment on whether she should be allowed to return (even if just to plead her legal case), but that is an immoral stance - just to make it someone else's problem. What have the Syrian Kurds done to have to keep her in that camp for life? They defeat ISIS and then have to look after other nations' citizens (and those nations absolve themselves of responsibility by revoking their citizenship). Perhaps the Kurds should just put them on a plane to the UK. It's how we get rid of criminals we don't want - even those born here - that we don't want.

How about postwar Germany saying they don't want back any Nazi Party PoWs, just the nice Germans?m

Actually, I think I have made a judgment.

It was Shamima who gave the interviews herself. Not a journalists interpretation of her words, they were her words. By publications that supported her return to the UK. They must have thought "fucking hell love, give us something positive to work with!"
Remember that we banned Dan Roan after he misrepresented an interview with Vieira? And Sky's disgusting reporting of Sterling's gun tattoo, where they put a word he hadn't said into their story?

I'm not defending her or her views. But taking away her citizenship, as a person born and brought up here, can't be done if that would render her stateless. This hearing was about her right to appeal in person about that decision, not upholding the loss of citizenship.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd be surprised if, when she does finally appeal the loss of her status, albeit remotely, that the court doesn't find in her favour. Then those pesky 'do-gooder lawyers' will get the blame again, for the heinous act of upholding the law of the land.

The reason why I and I reckon an overwhelming majority of people in the UK don't want her back in the UK is that you'd never get her out again even if she lost her appeal.

This would be based on an infringement of her human rights to advocate the beheading of people of different religions, throwing homosexuals off tall buildings and so on.

From a quick perusal, it seems the Supreme Court has set aside the ruling that Begum should be allowed to appear in person to appeal the removal of her British citizenship.

Quite why British authorities are terrified of her appearing in person remains a mystery. They cite national security (being the basis of the Home Secretary’s original decision), but can’t really see how she is a potential threat. I guess, as the piece infers, it’s more about avoiding any involvement with her and hoping the problem goes away.

Still, I find it odd that everyone melts into a gibbering fury over someone who was recruited into ISIS as a fifteen year old girl.
Good post. The last 4 words should mean somethinq

Remember that we banned Dan Roan after he misrepresented an interview with Vieira? And Sky's disgusting reporting of Sterling's gun tattoo, where they put a word he hadn't said into their story?

Im not defending her or her views. But taking away her citizenship, as a person born and brought up here, can't be done if that would render her stateless. This hearing was about her right to appeal in person about that decision, not upholding the loss of citizenship.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd be surprised if, when she does finally appeal the loss of her status, albeit remotely, that the court doesn't find in her favour. Then those pesky 'do-gooder lawyers' will get the blame again, for the heinous act of upholding the law of the land.
She voluntarily gave up her UK citizenship. She didn't believe herself to be British anymore. She thought the Islamic State was something permanent as many did.

She may have been born here, but neither you, I or even the British Government can force someone to be British if they declare themselves not to be. When the Supreme Court says that her rights do not trump the rights and safety of the citizens of the UK, you know you've backed the wrong horse.

Remember she thought nothing of the rights of others in her pursuit of her "perfect society", and to deny those, whose regime she supported, that were victims of said regime, the justice they deserve, because of... i'm still waiting for a legitimate reason on that.

She's 'British'? Not anymore. The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of that. By 'law' that should be upheld. Unless you and others know better than the Supreme Court. Trust me, had the SC ruled in favour, i'd have said nothing, but those arguing against the SC's ruling today, I have to ask why.

Good post. The last 4 words should mean somethinq
Jon Venables was 10. He's not shown any sign of reformation. She also stated:

Was there a point when you started to have second thoughts about your life under Islamic State?

Only at the end, after my son died. I realised I had to get out for the sake of my children - for the sake of my daughter and my baby. Yeah.

Only at the end?

Yeah.

You didn't have any regrets up until that point?

No.

She voluntarily gave up her UK citizenship. She didn't believe herself to be British anymore. She thought the Islamic State was something permanent as many did.

She may have been born here, but neither you, I or even the British Government can force someone to be British if they declare themselves not to be. When the Supreme Court says that her rights do not trump the rights and safety of the citizens of the UK, you know you've backed the wrong horse.

Remember she thought nothing of the rights of others in her pursuit of her "perfect society", and to deny those, whose regime she supported, that were victims of said regime, the justice they deserve, because of... i'm still waiting for a legitimate reason on that.

She's 'British'? Not anymore. The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of that. By 'law' that should be upheld. Unless you and others know better than the Supreme Court. Trust me, had the SC ruled in favour, i'd have said nothing, but those arguing against the SC's ruling today, I have to ask why.
The SC has not ruled in favour of her not being "British". That's still subject to appeal. I look forward to your saying nothing if the appeal is upheld.

Depends how much people believe the rights of the state supersede the rights of the individual really. Bear in mind the supreme courts decision isn’t based on the merits of the case itself, it’s about the Secretary of States ability to make and cast that judgment in the knowledge that there’s no realistic means of appeal.

Most liberals won’t be in agreement with the supreme courts decision, most illiberals will be and a lot of the papers will misinterpret the SC decision into what they want to perceive it to be.

Personally, I have very little sympathy for her individually. I have no sympathy for murderers either though, it doesn’t mean I don’t think they should have a right to a fair trial or we should bring back capital punishment though.

Depends how much people believe the rights of the state supersede the rights of the individual really. Bear in mind the supreme courts decision isn’t based on the merits of the case itself, it’s about the Secretary of States ability to make and cast that judgment in the knowledge that there’s no realistic means of appeal.

Most liberals won’t be in agreement with the supreme courts decision, most illiberals will be and a lot of the papers will misinterpret the SC decision into what they want to perceive it to be.

Personally, I have very little sympathy for her individually. I have no sympathy for murderers either though, it doesn’t mean I don’t think they should have a right to a fair trial or we should bring back capital punishment though.
The people are the state and the state works for the people, and the majority opinion is that she should not return to a country that she has rejected, chosen to disavow, chosen to reject, whose ethics, morals and rights she's turned her back on in favour of those of a regime our own state abhored and does not endorse.

So the question I pose to those people defending her is why is protecting the rights of one individual who did not care for the rights of others more important than seeing said individual stand trial at those who were directly affected by her actions, when she chose to no longer be protected by the courts that would have otherwise defended her?

Whilst engaging, supporting and co-operating, willingly, with the acts of the Islamic State, she no longer considered herself a British citizen. And as the Supreme Court just stated "the right to a fair trial does NOT trump all other considerations, such as the safety of the citizens"

Why is Begum's plight to be given more precedence than the safety of law abiding, British citizens? Nobody has come up with a justifiable argument.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.