"Shay Given is Not a Good Goalkeeper"

Fat Chance said:
I asked the question just recently with regard to a 6ft 2inch given being able to use his arm/hands.....are there some 9ft 6 inch strikers floating around. Funny scenario this really cause for years nobody mentioned Shilton in the Maradonna hand of god incident...look at shilton and then look at maradonna, shilton is allowed to use the shoot of his arm to defend with....watch the replay again he stood on his tip toes and diego jumped (well)....so.....can Given the greatest goalkeeper that ever lived actually jump?....if the answer to that is 'yes' then it does rather beg a multitude of further questions about his reluctance to do so....if he can't and he's a gk then he's a brilliant at being 75% efficient...simples.
smiley37.gif
smiley37.gif

Imagine once upon a time people actually played the game.

'Imagine once upon a time people actually played the game'.

Dont be worrying your knickers about any psycobabble....can he jump or whaty?.....how lateral do you want to get?

Fat Chance said:
'Imagine once upon a time people actually played the game'.

Dont be worrying your knickers about any psycobabble....can he jump or whaty?.....how lateral do you want to get?

Talking all techical and such, doesn't mean you understand the game, and clearly by the post you don't, not by a long shot.

Shay Given is definitely a good keeper, nowhere near a great one though. World class shot-stopper but he can't/won't come for crosses which he should be able to get. This wouldn't matter if we had 2 dominant centre halves who are great in the air but we don't so it puts pressure on us.

Damocles said:
I tend to think that these types of articles come from people who spend more time looking at their statistic books, than actually watching the games on the pitch.
Well I watch the game on the pitch and I agree. He has too many weaknesses in his game. Crosses, distribution and organisation. I don't see him doing any of these well.

Fuck the technical our kid....can our gk actually fuckin jump, cause if he cant we've got the mullers to buy one that can. Funny you mention actually playing the game like some all knowing one. If youlisten to every ex paid professional ever to commentate on a match they all to a man think it's fucking outrageous to loose a goal from a cross, free kick or corner being that defending such a scenario is obviously a two bob game....no goalie 'Defending' with the defenders and havoc will arrive very shortly. I know proper inbreds that understand that.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Damocles said:
I tend to think that these types of articles come from people who spend more time looking at their statistic books, than actually watching the games on the pitch.
Well I watch the game on the pitch and I agree. He has too many weaknesses in his game. Crosses, distribution and organisation. I don't see him doing any of these well.

Crosses - Il give you that one.

Distribution - best ive seen at City for many a year which may not be saying much but there was nothing more frustrating than watching Joe Hart kick the ball down the oppossing centre backs throat time after time after time.

Organisation - As much as almost any other keeper i see. Free kicks, he is very vocal, corners the same, but nowadays a lot of the organising comes from the key defensive players.

Any keeper can always be better and the defence set up with have will always leave ours exposed but his weaknesses are nowhere near as many as you say.

shay given is not a good goalkeeper...he's a very good goalkeeper.
if a keeper chooses not to come for many crosses,then he should do just that,and only come for nailed on 'kepers ball' crosses.that way,any defender will know its their job to attack the ball and clear it,coz the keeper isnt coming.ergo,no confusion.
its a style of keeping,and it works.the same as a keeper who comes for everything,but they dont always get there,which makes them look stupid.

Fat Chance said:
Fuck the technical our kid....can our gk actually fuckin jump, cause if he cant we've got the mullers to buy one that can. Funny you mention actually playing the game like some all knowing one. If youlisten to every ex paid professional ever to commentate on a match they all to a man think it's fucking outrageous to loose a goal from a cross, free kick or corner being that defending such a scenario is obviously a two bob game....no goalie 'Defending' with the defenders and havoc will arrive very shortly. I know proper inbreds that understand that.

And loosing a goal to a corner or a free because of shite defending is what down to the keeper if he doesn't "defend" with the defenders? You've, like you should know, a few seconds before a corner/free whatever is taken to shout out directions but every player, their movement, their positioning, their actions, it's down to themselves, when the ball comes in, each player concentrates on what they've to do.
A keeper concentrates on his own game, a defender likewise, no keeper should have to continue shouting directions at defenders for the following passage of play in front of goal for every move and action needed, it's impossible. Every man to himself needs to make their own call.
You cannot control the positioning of the defenders after the ball is kicked in, you can't organise the players infront of you in real time play. You're on your own then. Ya, there's a few calls like clear it, mine, keepers etc. But other then that, it's down to the players themselves to do their own job.

And asking why doesn't he jump. It's ridiculous. It's laughable.

IrishMacca said:
selim said:
You watch serie-A? Juventus is 7th! and he said himself that he cant take it anymore. Realistic? yes of course!

Sure that's where the money is. FFS. And you wonder why people say we're destroying the game.

Not to go off point. My point is that we buy excellent players and some so called supporters come out and find faults in them, every single one of those armchair clueless fans who have never kicked a football before in their life, I guarantee you if Buffon came within a month you'd have people on here moaning for Hart back and finding all these so called faults in them.
FFS. Lets everyone get their sky remotes out.

I know you get it a lot with professional sport, but ffs, has anyone on here even kicked a football like ffs. Some of the posts are ridiculous.

You dont have to kick a football to tell that Given is a liability on crosses and that Buffon is a much better keeper!

As i said before Given is a good keeper but saying ''we don't want Buffon we have Given'' is just ridiculous!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.