Shay Given to Arsenal (merged)

Re: we've agreed to let Shay Given join Arsenal

IrishMacca said:
10.Goater_Legend said:
Theres a reason why so many defensive partnerships have failed at Newcastle with Given behind them, that's because he fails to come of his line, and is awful at commanding his box from set-pieces and has pore communication, always has been and always will be.

This was also the case at City last season when Kolo looked worried and shaky as did Lescott at times, City were one of the higest conceding sides in the top half of the league last season. With Hart in net, Kolo looked brilliant, full of confidence and looked quality alongside Vincent. Hart also COMMANDED his box for the full 90 minutes, spoke with his defenders and made it difficult for the Spurs players to get on the end of crosses, he was also off his line rapidly to deny Defoe with two brilliant saves.

Hart is practicably already as good as Given and will be much better within a year, it's got nothing to do with England, it's more about you defending Given simply because he's Ireland's number one.

As i've already said though, Given is also a very good keeper.

-- Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:21 am --

Oh and to answer your question about what clubs have won lots with keepers under 25, here's some for you, Shilton at Nottingham Forest, Khan at Bayern Munich and Schmeichel at United to name a few.

But NOW, this decade. Look at the ages of all the top class teams. Buffon, VDS..etc. No club with any serious ambition to compete has an inexperienced kid in goals, when every one else has experienced top class keepers, which Given is, that said, with the FA, Capello and the English press in your ear. It must be hard to ignore and worth putting what we could have won this season on the line.

Real Madrid and Chelsae off the top of my head there's probably more.

It comes down to a decision where there's not a lot of difference in current ability between two keepers but one is 11 years younger. Mancini has made the right call in mine and in many others eyes.

Spindash said:
IrishMacca said:
He's just not Joe Hart. You mean he's not English, Hart has had one good season and played well enough in the game on Saturday and suddenly, he's "Joe Hart" the messiah, "God" suddenly he's an all time great, and done more in his 5 mins at the club as no. 1 than Given did, who played a major role in getting us 5th last season.

Hart has played more games for City than Given (67 to 60), so that's also wrong.

None of which were good enough to keep him at City, but ONE good enough season at a mid table club, a world cup trip, despite being just a water boy, and the desperate need of new English players has changed all that.

I personally have no doubts that Hart will go on to be the best keeper in the Prem for many years to come and win many titles with us.

We're looking at a good 15 years service out of this guy.

IrishMacca, Mancini's job hangs on these sort of decisions so I really doubt that he gives a flying fuck what the English media think, especially as they spend most of the time tipping him for the sack!

Personally I'd have gone with Given at WHL but there you go Mancini is the man paid to take the flak and on this occasion he got it right. I don't want Given to leave but I can understand that he would want a decent amount of first team football at this stage of his career.

IrishMacca said:
Spindash said:
Hart has played more games for City than Given (67 to 60), so that's also wrong.

None of which were good enough to keep him at City, but ONE good enough season at a mid table club, a world cup trip, despite being just a water boy, and the desperate need of new English players has changed all that.
AHHHH, yes they were good enough for City, it's just that Mark Hughes for some baffling reason decided to bring in another keeper, although Shay is a top keeper and i'm glad he's a City player, he wasn't needed at the time and it has now left us in a mess.

Once again, big thanks to Mark Hughes.

IrishMacca said:
Spindash said:

Hart have served city great whenever he has played, why hugues signed Given in the first place i dont know!

10.Goater_Legend said:
I personally have no doubts that Hart will go on to be the best keeper in the Prem for many years to come and win many titles with us.

Foster had all the potential in the world, he's was going to be the next big thing, I'm sure those United fans thought they'd be looking at a good 15 years great service out of him.
Yet like so many young English keepers, there was a false dawn, like there is for oh so many keepers and players in general, and they faded off into irrelevance and became nothing but average. Not saying it'll happen to Hart, but 1 good enough season at a mid table club, and one game for City isn't enough to suggest that he'll be the best keeper for years to come. It's something I'd rather not gamble a season on.<br /><br />-- Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:45 am --<br /><br />
zeven said:
IrishMacca said:
Hart have served city great whenever he has played, why hugues signed Given in the first place i dont know!

I know like, why did he bother, I mean it's not like Given did anything for the club anyway. It's not like Hart had an endless list of weaknesses before Given came..but nope, that too has disapeared, along with the memory of Given's great performances for us. It's just a mystery.

IrishMacca said:
10.Goater_Legend said:

Foster had all the potential in the world, he's was going to be the next big thing, I'm sure those United fans thought they'd be looking at a good 15 years great service out of him.
Yet like so many young English keepers, there was a false dawn, like there is for oh so many keepers and players in general, and they faded off into irrelevance and became nothing but average. Not saying it'll happen to Hart, but 1 good enough season at a mid table club, and one game for City isn't enough to suggest that he'll be the best keeper for years to come. It's something I'd rather not gamble a season on.
I've watched Hart closely since he broke into the City team in 2007, trust me the boy's special. He's on another planet ability wise to Ben Foster.

zeven said:
IrishMacca said:

No, that's not right. Before Hart went on loan to Brum he was too raw to be in a team that was aiming for 4th spot, Hughes was right to bring another keeper in, one of the few things he did get right. Hart has clearly improved significantly while at Brum and is now roughly on a par with Given.

10.Goater_Legend said:
IrishMacca said:
Yet like so many young English keepers, there was a false dawn, like there is for oh so many keepers and players in general, and they faded off into irrelevance and became nothing but average. Not saying it'll happen to Hart, but 1 good enough season at a mid table club, and one game for City isn't enough to suggest that he'll be the best keeper for years to come. It's something I'd rather not gamble a season on.
I've watched Hart closely since he broke into the City team in 2007, trust me the boy's special. He's on another planet ability wise to Ben Foster.

It's funny I've heard many fans say that about many, many players, you know what's happened to most. The English media were in a frenzy for Foster, just like they are for Hart, and will be for whatever player comes after Hart.
I've watched Given for a long, long time, he's "special" too, someone I'd much rather trust on a big occasion in goal than Hart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.