Shay

Along with Brad Friedel head and shoulders above anybody else in the Premiership. As far as I can remember that is the only direct error he has made that has led to a Goal.

Some Posters on this thread really need to get a grip.

Having played as a keeper, not at top level as I topped out at 5"9', I thought it was a shit goal to concede. I think Hart is better now and will be much better in years to come. I hate to say it but looking at recent matches I really dont think Shay has the speed of thought necessary for the premiership. His reflexes are top but that is not enough for a top 4 keeper. Joe was better when we let him go out on loan and is far better now.

Unfortunatley my instinct is Hart in Given out, sorry just IMO but from standing between the posts for the best part of 30 years, having made strikers give up playing and, most important of all, looking at the view from the camera behind the goal i.e. seeing what the keeper does Shay is not a top 4 keeper.

I can't believe another negative thread - well I can as there are so many city whingers - but to be slagging of Shay and wanting to get rid of him is totally and utterly blind and just lacking in any real judgement. At the moment, Shay is the best goal keeper in the premiership. There may be one or two with more clean sheets or less goals against, but that is nothing to go on when trying to assess his ability.
Firstly, the goal at Stoke. IT TOOK A DEFLECTION off Lescot - not much, but defo a deflection to send it off at an angle. Secondly, it was a poor clearance, though just a miss hit by Johnson. That goal was a chance, fluke goal like all teams score.
Given was of course, laid out flat by the France game, was obviously madly in man-ly love with hughes - and like the rest of the team, were close on devistated to go out of the carling cup. These kinds of events in football would knock the living crap out of anyone. Lets just remember that we are 4TH in the Premiership at the moment, with a game on hand on those car stereo nicking scousers. Furthermore, the only real question about the goals let in are 90% down to the defense and midfield. The stoke disallowed goal should have been a goal - but where the fuck were our defenders when Given (not the tallest of keepers) had to try and outjump a forward running and jumping stoke player? On of our defenders lost him which they have a terrible habit of doing at the moment.
But Given is WORLD CLASS and if he was english, would have been england's number 1 for many years - and still now. Don't delude yourself about his ability. GIVEN IS HERE TO STAY. I agree about getting Hart back for next season, but would much prefer to have him as second goal keeper to Stuart

BlueTony said:
I hate to say it but looking at recent matches I really dont think Shay has the speed of thought necessary for the premiership.

I'm sorry but that's just laughable mate.

despair, v.

[ME. des-, dis-peiren, -payren, a. OF. despeir-, stressed stem-form of desperer:L. dsprre to despair, f. DE- I. 6 + sprre to hope. (Displaced in F. by dés-espérer, a Romanic compound of espérer to hope: so Pr. and Sp. desesperar.)]

1. intr. To lose or give up hope; to be without hope. Const. of (with indirect passive to be despaired of); rarely in (obs.), to with inf.

b. refl. in same sense. Obs.

c. to be despaired, in same sense: see DESPAIRED ppl. a. 1. Obs.

2. trans. To deprive of hope, cast into despair. Obs. rare.

3. trans. To cease to hope for, to be without hope of; = despair of in 1. Obs. or arch.

¶4. Used by Wyclif app. in sense: To hope amiss, to indulge false or mistaken hope. (Cf. prec. n. 3.)

I agree Shay has made the odd error however balanced by the points he has earned makes him way out in front of top keepers. He could do with a short break away from football and lose 7 lbs in weight to be in the worlds top 5 .

We must be the worst fans in the prem for jumping on players and manages backs. Perhaps we should look at ourself s to find out why.

I said last week he ain't a good shot stopper when the ball is out of range of his body length, anything that involves him having to twinkle toes his feet and make the save and he's average (and then we played Stoke)...i've no doubts he'd probably be world champion at a catch the bullet arcade game but he'll never be a Ray Clemence and for folk thinking he's worthy of parity with Corrigan at his best.. then i'd remind them that Joe virtually single handedly kept us up for two seasons before we finally dropped....Givens stood still feet planted heroics have not stretched that far just yet.

We must be the worst fans in the prem for jumping on players and manages backs. Perhaps we should look at ourself s to find out why.[/quote]

Probably cause we've been served up some proper fuckin shite for 30 years.

I played as a keeper for a number of years and was trained at one of my teams by an ex professional. Im sorry but saying Shay is good at shotstopping is not enough to balance what he's not good at, fair enough he's saved us points with good saves, but how much pressure does he constantly put on the defence with his in capability to command and claim crosses, quite alot.
He's a brilliant shotstopper, by all means one of the best in the world, but there is ALOT more to being a goalkeeper than shotstopping these days. If he was 'world class', why was he at newcastle until last year? If he is world class, why was he not playing for one of the top clubs in the world before coming to us?
He has far too many weaknesses in comparisons with strengths IMO

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.