Shay

AntMcfc said:
Still one of the best keepers in the world, just in some bad form. It happens to everybody, but as usual these disgusting, fickle fans are on his back instantly. We're 4th in the league FFS and all I hear on this site is moaning, absolutely ridiculous. And what makes me laugh the most is you'd all be on Hart's back the moment he made a mistake too, you lot will never be pleased.

I would still take hart to the world cup as our number 1, he has been the best english keeper this season, and like you said its just a bit of bad form, it happens to everyone.

BOOM!

here's my saying all this a few days back, everyone saying no no no you chat shit,

tonight once again proved it right,

i like shay, quality keeper but hasn't a clue how to play the game apart from his shot stopping (should of saved it tonight though), kicking is getting worse, and the dis-alllowed goal the ball landed a yard infront of him, he should already of been all over that ball before shawcross has chance to react to it.

Freestyler said:
BOOM!

here's my saying all this a few days back, everyone saying no no no you chat shit,

i like shay, quality keeper but hasn't a clue how to play the game apart from his shot stopping (should of saved it tonight though), kicking is getting worse, and the dis-alllowed goal the ball landed a yard infront of him, he should already of been all over that ball before shawcross has chance to react to it.

No no no you are STILL chatting shit.

AntMcfc said:
Freestyler said:
BOOM!

so he's a class all round keeper then is he?

His shot stopping is world class, always give him that, the rest of his game is average and commanding his area is zero.

never saw the top 4 go for him, did you?

quality keeper, but just has alot of downfalls in his game, i like the guy, just think he's awful at the moment.

Freestyler said:
AntMcfc said:

so he's a class all round keeper then is he?

His shot stopping is world class, always give him that, the rest of his game is average and commanding his area is zero.

never saw the top 4 go for him, did you?

quality keeper, but just has alot of downfalls in his game, i like the guy, just think he's awful at the moment.

No he's not an amazing all round keeper but Van Nistelrooy wasn't an amazing all round striker either, that doesn't mean he wasn't one of this generations best. Football is about doing what you do well, not trying to do every single thing possible, and Given's shot stopping ability and competancy in all other aspects bar coming for crosses far outweigh a keeper who is average at every single facet of goalkeeping.

As for the top 4, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool all have settled first choice keepers, and replacing them isn't really the top priority for those clubs. Arsenal on the other hand, are desperate for a keeper, and as much as they never publically expressed a desire to sign Given you can bet your bottom dollar that every single Arsenal fan, and member of staff was desperate to bring Given to the club. Were Arsenal not so tight with the pennies I think Given would be playing in an Arsenal shirt this season and beyond and we'd be left with an out of form Hart.

to be fair i think given has been ok this season and has no doubt saved us some precious points but he has cost us too

i'll try and be as objective but

shot stopping - class, everyone has the odd blip with a long shot once in a while

positional sense/spacial awareness - poor, seems to not know where to put himself quite often and someone described his efforts in the cup game for their goal quite rightly. also in two games at the swamp thought the ball was going wide and watched it into his own net which is absolutely criminal.

command of area - poor

claiming crosses - poor

distribution - poor

decision making - average, should have come and claimed balls but left them to be dealt with by defenders who struggled. did it in the cup game and we somehow got away with it when toure should have given away that penalty.

he's good and right now i think he's just about the right man for us if he finds his form again, and he's been a consistent performer throughout his career but if this is the begining of the end then got no room for sentiment and time to bring the future england keeper back home

Wrong. His positioning is top class and the way he narrows down angles is right up there with the very best. The only place you can fault Given is coming for crosses and coming off his line, but even then when he stays on his line he generally makes a good save anyway.

Distribution? That's a really poor thing to mark a keeper down on. His distribution is average, he has no problems hoofing the ball, he never scuffs a kick, he just doesn't make the right decisions now and then. It has never cost us a goal, not once, so I don't think you can claim his kicking is poor when liabilities like Ben Foster are around.

ok maybe he's average in positional terms but still prone to some howlers, but commentators have had a hard on for him for years and always praise him no matter what.

was'nt it his poor clearance that put the ball out in prime delap territory which they scored from, i just never seem to notice him kicking a ball to one of our players. only when he throws it short. but agree there are more around that have bigger gaps in their game like foster, but the rags have VDS so what does foster matter

Is it a coincedence that Givens form has dropped since Hughes has left along with the goalkeeper coaches he had as part of his team?

He really does look short of confidence and nervous at the moment, the back 4 keeps changing which cannot help.

I look at his starting position from set plays especially from deep and IMO he needs to be higher and push the back line up. We are dropping off too deep putting ourselves under pressure.

Changing coaches and training does affect the pros, not always in a positive way.

i think shay is old enough to know his routines and what needs to be done to stay in top shape and so on, if he is being directed to stand off the play more or the back line is told to come deeper then that could be a bit of a problem. thought we have been guilty of inviting teams onto us at times which does no one any favours

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.