Shea Charles | Signed by Southampton for £10.5m

I thought that Sancho had agreed something with Pep, at the gentleman's handshake level, but that the offer of immediate and significant playing time at Dortmund made Sancho change his mind. No formal contract at that stage, nothing legally binding, just the handshake. Pep a trifle naive? Product of a different era? Or maybe I have got it all wrong - I hope so, because it doesn't feel good. Anyway Sancho was very young at the time.
City (not Pep obviously) put a contract on the table that would have made him the highest earning teenager in the clubs history, I think he made every indication that he would sign it and was included in the USA tour that summer. It then came out that he was talking to Dortmund and (I think) missed training (went AWOL perhaps?), he eventually was removed from the tour group due to his behaviour.

City (not Pep obviously) put a contract on the table that would have made him the highest earning teenager in the clubs history, I think he made every indication that he would sign it and was included in the USA tour that summer. It then came out that he was talking to Dortmund and (I think) missed training (went AWOL perhaps?), he eventually was removed from the tour group due to his behaviour.

That's the story I heard too. It came down to more of a guarantee on playing time, which Pep quite rightly was unwilling to give him, so he went to Dortmund. He thrived at Dortmund it must be said. The error he made was chasing the money and going to the rags. He should have stayed at Dortmund for another year to hone his skills and then made a move to a more stable club that would suit his style. His form has completely fallen off a cliff and clearly he had this confidence and arrogance as a youngster which made him who he was. Once that goes, a lot of young talented players never fully recover. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, ultimately he would have been better staying with us, but he didn't have the right attitude and we've been better off without him.

That's the story I heard too. It came down to more of a guarantee on playing time, which Pep quite rightly was unwilling to give him, so he went to Dortmund. He thrived at Dortmund it must be said. The error he made was chasing the money and going to the rags. He should have stayed at Dortmund for another year to hone his skills and then made a move to a more stable club that would suit his style. His form has completely fallen off a cliff and clearly he had this confidence and arrogance as a youngster which made him who he was. Once that goes, a lot of young talented players never fully recover. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, ultimately he would have been better staying with us, but he didn't have the right attitude and we've been better off without him.
Yes, I'd forgotten the alleged playing time demands. It's all well and good having confidence in your own skills but then if he was that convinced he shouldn't have needed it putting in his contract. Shame for the lad, not so much for us.

Thanks for the clarification.

Great to see the lad make his league debut. Did not put a foot wrong and he should already be ahead of Kalvin.

Congratulations to the lad for making his PL debut today. Must admit I haven’t seen a lot of him before today. Hope to see a lot more of him at City the next few seasons.

Warm congratulations to Shea for his debut.

From watching the youth games on City+, the thing that impressed me about Shea was his composure. Nothing seemed to ruffle his feathers, and that quality is a great attribute as a central defender.

So its onwards and upwards for another exciting youth product from our amazing production line!

We are being linked with him in the Mail along with Dortmund, no idea how reliable the link is, whether or not you would sell or if he would even entertain us. But given our position at the minute, I think we should be looking at your youth players who dont quite cut it at City level.

We are being linked with him in the Mail along with Dortmund, no idea how reliable the link is, whether or not you would sell or if he would even entertain us. But given our position at the minute, I think we should be looking at your youth players who dont quite cut it at City level.

I think it would be a great move for the kid.

I suspect he would jump at the chance,probably for a relatively small fee and sell on/buy back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.