Sheffield United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I didn't say you didn't mention it, but it certainly seems unimportant to you, that we've created a model, that produces footballers for football, by investing into football.

Seems to me you need a new sport to follow, or go to lower league football instead.

I've followed City since the early 70's as a kid, I don't care about what other clubs do, but I think what we have done is good for football, and it's largely the opposite of what clubs were doing 15 years ago.

My point was don't confuse spending money, and investment in football.

Our young players progress through a system from age 8 to age 20, the odd one makes it here, most don't, but they go out to other clubs (often for relatively small fee's) to that clubs benefit (often at much greater fee for that club), and even with our resources (investment into youth) not everyone will become a PL player.
I'm quite happy following my team, I don't see that question as relevant at all re other sports but there you go. I'm just not happy with the Premier Leagues current model, that's not particularly related to City as I said. You're right re the production of football talent at City is the best in the land. That is where investment makes a huge difference and no one should begrudge that or the success of that. I've genuinely learned more about City than I did before these posts, I was never anti City though as far as I'm concerned. I've praised City a fair bit both on their past and present, I'm very grateful as a Blades fan for the relationship we have with City that lent us Doyle and McAtee, they are huge favourites at United.

Re lower league football, I spent years following United in League One, I definitely don't want us to return there, I'm merely saying that the lack of wealth distribution is a big problem for the Football League, and just because we're back in the Premier League (hopefully for more than one season but it will be very tough) doesn't change my feelings on the lack of wealth distribution. I know I've overstayed my welcome if ever there was one, that's clear from the lack of people agreeing with me on points re on the Premier League.

And no I don't go on every teams forum after matches as one fan said! Genuinely the first time I've done that since the end of last season; no joking, not something I've done much at all honest! Just felt that some of the comments from City fans were not fair on United but we see things differently at times, that's to be expected. Cheers.

Last edited:
I know I've overstayed my welcome if ever there was one, that's clear from the lack of people agreeing with me on points re on the Premier League.
No you haven't at all, but as City fans, we get used to being slated, so we'll get defensive when the same cliche's are put forward by rival fans.

All we want is the full story to be told not the one the media want to tell about us.

During around the 77th minute in yesterday's game when Dias blocked a Sheffield Shot, Haaland turned around and yelled something at Dias which in turn made Dias do a dismissive hand gesture at Haaland. I wonder what was said.
Haaland shouted "Those fucking last-ditch block are all right, but try getting your head on a few corners at the other end".

I'm quite happy following my team, I don't see that question as relevant at all re other sports but there you go. I'm just not happy with the Premier Leagues current model, that's not particularly related to City as I said. You're right re the production of football talent at City is the best in the land. That is where investment makes a huge difference and no one should begrudge that or the success of that. I've genuinely learned more about City than I did before these posts, I was never anti City though as far as I'm concerned. I've praised City a fair bit both on their past and present, I'm very grateful as a Blades fan for the relationship we have with City that lent us Doyle and McAtee, they are huge favourites at United.

Re lower league football, I spent years following United in League One, I definitely don't want us to return there, I'm merely saying that the lack of wealth distribution is a big problem for the Football League, and just because we're back in the Premier League (hopefully for more than one season but it will be very tough) doesn't change my feelings on the lack of wealth distribution. I know I've overstayed my welcome if ever there was one, that's clear from the lack of people agreeing with me on points re on the Premier League.

And no I don't go on every teams forum after matches as one fan said! Genuinely the first time I've done that since the end of last season; no joking, not something I've done much at all honest! Just felt that some of the comments from City fans were not fair on United but we see things differently at times, that's to be expected. Cheers.

The point on wealth distribution within the football league. The Championship is the 6th richest league in Europe, only The Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, Ligue 1 and The Bundasliga brings in more money. The trickle down effect from the Premier League and it’s tv money results in probably a lot more wealth finding it’s way down the football pyramid in this country than what it would have 40 years ago. Owners are looking at getting in at the very bottom with the goal of going up the league, the likes of Wrexham and Salford City are an example of that and it’s leading to more interest in lower league football. There will always be haves and have nots in football, however we have a unique football pyramid in this country that a lot of other leagues do not have.

What a load of cliche bollocks
I thought about your reply and others, was gonna just leave it because as I said before, I know I'm a guest on here, my posts are very long, I totally get that, I can't reply with one liners, yes they may be boring like my football team as one fan put it. I totally get that some of the stuff even I've said on here was ill informed in reference on City, as I said on previous posts, I've learned more about City, a lot more than I did before, it was never aimed at City from what I was saying, but some if it was I accept, but more the PL. The PL needs reform, the whole concept was created by the "big 5" and for the big 5 I may add. The big five at the time been Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton. My club signed up to it too, don't get me wrong.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say is a lot of the stuff I'm referring to is all mentioned in the Tracey Crouch report which has all gone quiet not surprisingly because it appears the PL is delaying it; surprise, surprise. Even a Tory government has recognised change is needed.

Do we want another Bury situation, a club that we played in League One, they had brilliant fans, supporting their local team when there's huge clubs around them, those fans deserve to support their own team. The Bury situation isn't the only thing though. The wealth distribution isn't right in the game in my view, as Ricky Parry has stated. You've also got UEFA trying to implement a wage cap, I'd love to see that if it works, whether we'll get more affordable ticket prices I don't know, that's one of the many things that needs to change. The money now coming into the Saudi league is worrying also, what's the consequences of that going to be for football and for the PL?

Football does need an independent regulator, we as fans should have more say in our clubs, as in Germany as an example. This isn't about City as I said. I totally get that some of the City's fans frustrations with other fans views are totally valid: Man U did dominate for years in the 90's, Liverpool also in the 80's, there were other teams who won the league too I may add. City are just an incredible club in terms of how they're run, I have seen that more as I've read the posts on here and I'm aware they have massively reduced their spending, selling players off, they develop superb home grown players, Doyle and McAtee are two who will no doubt either be sold on or maybe Macca will get to play for City as is his dream. Change in the game is needed though; what I'm trying to say is not bollocks, or clichés.
The point on wealth distribution within the football league. The Championship is the 6th richest league in Europe, only The Premier League, La Liga, Seria A, Ligue 1 and The Bundasliga brings in more money. The trickle down effect from the Premier League and it’s tv money results in probably a lot more wealth finding it’s way down the football pyramid in this country than what it would have 40 years ago. Owners are looking at getting in at the very bottom with the goal of going up the league, the likes of Wrexham and Salford City are an example of that and it’s leading to more interest in lower league football. There will always be haves and have nots in football, however we have a unique football pyramid in this country that a lot of other leagues do not have.
Sorry but that is the sort of stuff I hear from Conservative voters, it's proven the be crap, we in the north in particular see this, we certainly do in South Yorkshire. We're getting political here but trickle down economics does not work. What's happened with Wrexham is not what I'm referring to. Other sports have greater regulation and it benefits the game, In Germany there is an example of a great ownership and league model than we have. It has some faults, I'm not saying otherwise but their ticket prices are far more affordable for starters, their wages are on the whole are more sensible, fans do have a say in their clubs much more than here. Granted Bayern dominate but they are the natural big fish there.

Last edited:
I thought about your reply and others, was gonna just leave it because as I said before, I know I'm a guest on here, my posts are very long, I totally get that, I can't reply with one liners, yes they may be boring like my football team as one fan put it. I totally get that some of the stuff even I've said on here was ill informed in reference on City, as I said on previous posts, I've learned more about City, a lot more than I did before, it was never aimed at City from what I was saying, but some if it was I accept, but more the PL. The PL needs reform, the whole concept was created by the "big 5" and for the big 5 I may add. The big five at the time been Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton. My club signed up to it too, don't get me wrong.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say is a lot of the stuff I'm referring to is all mentioned in the Tracey Crouch report which has all gone quiet not surprisingly because it appears the PL is delaying it; surprise, surprise. Even a Tory government has recognised change is needed.

Do we want another Bury situation, a club that we played in League One, they had brilliant fans, supporting their local team when there's huge clubs around them, those fans deserve to support their own team. The Bury situation isn't the only thing though. The wealth distribution isn't right in the game in my view, as Ricky Parry has stated. You've also got UEFA trying to implement a wage cap, I'd love to see that if it works, whether we'll get more affordable ticket prices I don't know, that's one of the many things that needs to change. The money now coming into the Saudi league is worrying also, what's the consequences of that going to be for football and for the PL?

Football does need an independent regulator, we as fans should have more say in our clubs, as in Germany as an example. This isn't about City as I said. I totally get that some of the City's fans frustrations with other fans views are totally valid: Man U did dominate for years in the 90's, Liverpool also in the 80's, there were other teams who won the league too I may add. City are just an incredible club in terms of how they're run, I have seen that more as I've read the posts on here and I'm aware they have massively reduced their spending, selling players off, they develop superb home grown players, Doyle and McAtee are two who will no doubt either be sold on or maybe Macca will get to play for City as is his dream. Change in the game is needed though; what I'm trying to say is not bollocks, or clichés.

Sorry but that is the sort of stuff I hear from Conservative voters, it's proven the be crap, we in the north in particular see this, we certainly do in South Yorkshire. We're getting political here but trickle down economics does not work. What's happened with Wrexham is not what I'm referring to. Other sports have greater regulation and it benefits the game, In Germany there is an example of a great ownership and league model than we have. It has some faults, I'm not saying otherwise but their ticket prices are far more affordable for starters, their wages are on the whole are more sensible, fans do have a say in their clubs much more than here. Granted Bayern dominate but they are the natural big fish there.

Is the championship the 6th richest league in the Europe? Yes or no? It wouldn’t have been that case pre 1992, so there is certainly an example of where money going downwards does work.

There are some good things in Germany with ticket prices and free public transport if you are going to a game to make it certainly more affordable to attend. If all the regulation and fan input works, why do Bayern win the league every year there? Everything is loaded in their favour from them being able to take their rivals best players from them to Audi, Allianz and Addidas pumping money in to keep their advantage going.

You've certainly not overstayed your welcome mate. Your insight and views are good to read and I broadly agree with you on distribution of wealth. There should be a fairer distribution of TV money to the whole pyramid. That said, when Premier League clubs make an offer for clubs in lower divisions, the selling clubs should be more realistic with their demands rather than asking for ridiculous fees and imposing an English tax on hone grown players.

I lived in your fine City for 24 years and still work there. I have a few Blades and Wednesdayite mates and there is a good relationship with both clubs and City. I have soft spot for both clubs and hope you both do well except when you're playing us.

You're more than welcome to post here mate and please do keep doing so.

PS I remember Bob Booker very well. I saw him play a few times for younin your 88-90 promotion seasons and in the top flight. Brentford and Blades legend.

Good luck, except against City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.