Sheffield United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I sat down last night and watched some more of the game and I thought Wow, This team will never lie down and roll over and just let the result go, You have to remember this is the 4 season we are defending champions, also coming off last seasons treble and the late finish to the season early start to the new one, so you could forgive some sloppiness, Nope none of that we want more and more and players are throwing themselves into tackles blocking shots with their bodies and fighting tooth and nail,

So it may look like an easy 2.1 away win but that is far from the truth, We had to dig deep and put in the hard yards after they made it 1.1, We could have rolled over and even lost the game but none of that we stepped up again and got the winners,

We fight till the end meaning may need to change to we fight till the death

I thought about your reply and others, was gonna just leave it because as I said before, I know I'm a guest on here, my posts are very long, I totally get that, I can't reply with one liners, yes they may be boring like my football team as one fan put it. I totally get that some of the stuff even I've said on here was ill informed in reference on City, as I said on previous posts, I've learned more about City, a lot more than I did before, it was never aimed at City from what I was saying, but some if it was I accept, but more the PL. The PL needs reform, the whole concept was created by the "big 5" and for the big 5 I may add. The big five at the time been Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton. My club signed up to it too, don't get me wrong.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say is a lot of the stuff I'm referring to is all mentioned in the Tracey Crouch report which has all gone quiet not surprisingly because it appears the PL is delaying it; surprise, surprise. Even a Tory government has recognised change is needed.

Do we want another Bury situation, a club that we played in League One, they had brilliant fans, supporting their local team when there's huge clubs around them, those fans deserve to support their own team. The Bury situation isn't the only thing though. The wealth distribution isn't right in the game in my view, as Ricky Parry has stated. You've also got UEFA trying to implement a wage cap, I'd love to see that if it works, whether we'll get more affordable ticket prices I don't know, that's one of the many things that needs to change. The money now coming into the Saudi league is worrying also, what's the consequences of that going to be for football and for the PL?

Football does need an independent regulator, we as fans should have more say in our clubs, as in Germany as an example. This isn't about City as I said. I totally get that some of the City's fans frustrations with other fans views are totally valid: Man U did dominate for years in the 90's, Liverpool also in the 80's, there were other teams who won the league too I may add. City are just an incredible club in terms of how they're run, I have seen that more as I've read the posts on here and I'm aware they have massively reduced their spending, selling players off, they develop superb home grown players, Doyle and McAtee are two who will no doubt either be sold on or maybe Macca will get to play for City as is his dream. Change in the game is needed though; what I'm trying to say is not bollocks, or clichés.

Sorry but that is the sort of stuff I hear from Conservative voters, it's proven the be crap, we in the north in particular see this, we certainly do in South Yorkshire. We're getting political here but trickle down economics does not work. What's happened with Wrexham is not what I'm referring to. Other sports have greater regulation and it benefits the game, In Germany there is an example of a great ownership and league model than we have. It has some faults, I'm not saying otherwise but their ticket prices are far more affordable for starters, their wages are on the whole are more sensible, fans do have a say in their clubs much more than here. Granted Bayern dominate but they are the natural big fish there.

I agree with you broadly and football needs an independent regulator for so many reasons, but please don't quote that charlatan Rick Parry. He's a shill for the establishment, particularly Liverpool and the so-called Manchester Uniturd.

During around the 77th minute in yesterday's game when Dias blocked a Sheffield Shot, Haaland turned around and yelled something at Dias which in turn made Dias do a dismissive hand gesture at Haaland. I wonder what was said.
Haaland “Take a touch and put me through”

Dias “ I’m not Johnny Stones”

I get your drift, I do. But Pulis kept Stoke up for like ten years, so I'm not so sure it didn't work! The pundits love good football, an that's great if you can buy players to play attacking football, but players that can take people on cost money, and playing more attacking football means you need to have players who can make that work when that team attacks, I dare say if we did it, as I said before, I reckon we'd lose it/City would take the ball of us and within seconds the ball would be back the other end and in our net.

Brentford are a unique club, although Brighton similar - lol! They have an incredible transfer policy, they pick up amazingly gifted players on the cheap and then mould them into top level Premier League players time and time again. They've spent a lot of money, I mean a lot of money for the likes of Sheff United, to make that transfer system work. You talk about Brighton too; they're a success story now but they stayed up under Chris Hughton winning 1 - 0 most matches in their earlier days. I'm fairly sure that would have been defensive football. I don't see it as prehistoric, I get it attracts criticism but as I say, have you seen our squad even in comparison to Forest and Brentford? Forest spent £200m I think it was and only just stayed up and they signed Morgan Gibbs-White for £45m who is a very good player. When you've got talent like that you can attack more, as I said previously, we've got a lot of injuries still and are playing players who aren't ready. I don't think with a fully fit squad we'd have beaten City at all either, but against the sides of more equal merit to us then we should be able to attack more.

I don't find City boring, not that you've said it but others have said that people have accused City of that. It probably will be the way other teams set out v City but there's an art form to breaking that down too and I'd just revel in that but at the same time I do think it's very easy to criticise our style when you've got the quality that Brentford have, Bournemouth less so but they've not got a team as good as Brentford and I'm not sure what the result was but I'm guessing they lost, if they didn't then City probably missed a load!

The trouble is mate Sheffield United owners never show any ambition, unlike Brentford, Burnley, Bournemouth, Leicester etc. I was a student in Sheff in the 80s and lived there for 24 years and still work there so I've seen various owners, some very dodgy in the past at your club. The one common thread is that none of them showed any ambition like Brentford and Co do. Its always sell cheap and buy cheaper. Too many Blades accept the club as a selling club too readily and the board are the same. Successive Sheffield United boards sell the crown jewels and expect to recruit bargain basement signings and loans. How is that fair on your fans who want your club to do something?

We were lucky at City to get owners with ambition, great intelligence and money.

So were Brentford in a different way.

Far be it from me to say what other fans should do but bemoaning the wealth imbalance is not all about City and co being wealthy and Sheffield United and Co not being so. Too many of your fans settle for 2nd best in my experience. Demand more. Your club will have made 160m in TV money and some of that should be invested like Burnley do. Not just spending the Ndiaye and Berge money. You deserve better.

Did anyone ever ask McCabe where the Tevez money went?

I hope you respect City fans and our club now. The club is better run and the fans are still the same. Down to earth and no nonsense in the Maine. Every club though has its idiots, including ours.

Good luck except against City.

Last edited:
I remain bewildered when people cite Germany as a model of good practise for running a League.

It certainly does not produce a competitive League with Bayern Munich winning the last ten in a row.

You have to be careful what you are wishing for to avoid creating a behemoth like that. Any attempt to link spending with income (as is the case with FFP) is not going to do a great deal for the likes of Sheffield United.

It certainly should benefit the clubs with the best records at the time when finance really started to drive the results (formation of EPL?). The early years of the EPL were dominated by four teams, who qualified for the CL every year (United, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea). They used the CL revenue to outspend every other team and ensure that they stayed there.

This remained the situation until the incompetence of Liverpool’s owners and the tight-fistedness of Arsenal under Wenger allowed first Spurs and then City to crash the party.

For all the moaning about City dominance, the EPL remains as competitive as any in Europe (five different winners in 10 years) Compare it to the Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1, or Serie A (until Juventus self-imploded)! Things tend to be as bad, if not worse, in the likes of the SPL, Portuguese League, etc.

When the Yanks took over Formula One they appears to change the regulations to try and nobble Mercedes. This worked and created the currently unwatchable schedule where Red Bull win every race without a challenge.

I take your point re Bayern, they're just an exceptionally big club full top though and the natural big fish in the pond there. How has the 5o plus 1 rule made Bayern so dominant then? Is that due to the 50 plus 1 rule? I'm not so sure there but do stand to be corrected. As I said earlier, any frustrations I have are not with City, it's how the model is allowed to be that is the issue and without regulation then we've created a monster in itself in my view. We've got the ownership issues that even the bigger clubs too are affected by such as Man U in terms of a leveraged buy out, we've got wages and transfer fees spiralling out of control, ticket prices that are ridiculous and earnings from them are no longer the main source of income yet they continue to be sky high. If people are happy with this then there's something fundamentally wrong!

Some of the stuff re German football does not need to be necessarily replicated here but we desperately need more fan ownership/control from fans in our clubs and a more even distribution of wealth from the PL to the rest of the football league. I can't ever see subsidised travel or matches coming in from the government but the wealth created from the PL needs distributing more so away from astronomical wages and transfer fees and into a more sustainable model. Ticket prices shouldn't be £50 plus in my view. I paid £41 yesterday and that is a lot too in my view, too much. Maybe my views are seen as contrary to the investment City have invested into the club and maybe if we had more regulation than City wouldn't have been as successful but that's not the aim, the aim is for a sustainable model in my view that doesn't rely on billionaire run clubs even for teams towards the bottom in some cases.

You're right re Forest that they did spend money, I'm not one for defending Forest but the point is that back in the pre-premier league days the league could be won, and was won, by a series of teams not just one or two. Granted we've had several winners of the PL, but with the investment that City has spent it's taken it to yet another level and when clubs of Liverpool and Man U's size are struggling to make up the difference then you've got a situation that you've mentioned with Bayern, approaching a one team league.

I'm not saying for one minute it's just down to just spending money on players because it isn't. City also have the best manager in the league, one of the best academies and I know they've great in the community also. All of that of course takes huge investment though it has to be said in terms of the training ground/academy and the budget that City has attracts the best manager too. I don't want to come across as criticising City because it's not City it's the league as a whole which has become a monster in my view, what's happened at City is the stuff of dreams for City fans, particularly those that were there in the days before, but for teams like mine, just surviving in the PL is near impossible without a serious amount of cash, beyond what we can afford. We did it for two seasons last time but it can only last so long without serious investment that requires billionaire owners or not far off. If you're happy with as it is now, that's your prerogative, with respect I don't agree.

Anyway, I've digressed away from yesterdays match, all the best, I appreciate the respect people have shown to me on here, I've said everything I wanted to and answered as best possible points back, we'll not agree on some things. Take care as I said, God bless.

Who would you say is the best player who's ever played for you?

Last edited:
I thought about your reply and others, was gonna just leave it because as I said before, I know I'm a guest on here, my posts are very long, I totally get that, I can't reply with one liners, yes they may be boring like my football team as one fan put it. I totally get that some of the stuff even I've said on here was ill informed in reference on City, as I said on previous posts, I've learned more about City, a lot more than I did before, it was never aimed at City from what I was saying, but some if it was I accept, but more the PL. The PL needs reform, the whole concept was created by the "big 5" and for the big 5 I may add. The big five at the time been Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton. My club signed up to it too, don't get me wrong.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say is a lot of the stuff I'm referring to is all mentioned in the Tracey Crouch report which has all gone quiet not surprisingly because it appears the PL is delaying it; surprise, surprise. Even a Tory government has recognised change is needed.

Do we want another Bury situation, a club that we played in League One, they had brilliant fans, supporting their local team when there's huge clubs around them, those fans deserve to support their own team. The Bury situation isn't the only thing though. The wealth distribution isn't right in the game in my view, as Ricky Parry has stated. You've also got UEFA trying to implement a wage cap, I'd love to see that if it works, whether we'll get more affordable ticket prices I don't know, that's one of the many things that needs to change. The money now coming into the Saudi league is worrying also, what's the consequences of that going to be for football and for the PL?

Football does need an independent regulator, we as fans should have more say in our clubs, as in Germany as an example. This isn't about City as I said. I totally get that some of the City's fans frustrations with other fans views are totally valid: Man U did dominate for years in the 90's, Liverpool also in the 80's, there were other teams who won the league too I may add. City are just an incredible club in terms of how they're run, I have seen that more as I've read the posts on here and I'm aware they have massively reduced their spending, selling players off, they develop superb home grown players, Doyle and McAtee are two who will no doubt either be sold on or maybe Macca will get to play for City as is his dream. Change in the game is needed though; what I'm trying to say is not bollocks, or clichés.

Sorry but that is the sort of stuff I hear from Conservative voters, it's proven the be crap, we in the north in particular see this, we certainly do in South Yorkshire. We're getting political here but trickle down economics does not work. What's happened with Wrexham is not what I'm referring to. Other sports have greater regulation and it benefits the game, In Germany there is an example of a great ownership and league model than we have. It has some faults, I'm not saying otherwise but their ticket prices are far more affordable for starters, their wages are on the whole are more sensible, fans do have a say in their clubs much more than here. Granted Bayern dominate but they are the natural big fish there.

Which sports are you refering to?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.