Sheffield United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I answered that previously Knuckles.

I did mention the community stuff in one of the posts and the huge investment in the area. I think I must have said about six or seven times that there's no gripe from me about City as a club or the spending as long as it's within the rules and that's not a dig at City either to current situation, as I said that side of things just bores me and it will no doubt go on for years. It's the Premier League and it's lack of regulation that's the issue, as others have said on here, loads of clubs have spent money in the past, maybe not for quite as intense for what City have recently, but Man U were regularly the biggest spenders for years and they also had a superb youth system. Blackburn bought the league at the time, but that was their right to do so and they spent very well too.

My issue is mainly with the lack of wealth distribution from the PL to the rest of the football league, it was the sole reason the PL was created was to remove themselves from the rest of the league so they could regulate themselves and make more money, the latter understandable, but then you've got the rest of the league feeding off the scraps and that doesn't make for a healthy football league. You've also got insane wages, transfer fees, ticket prices with so little regulation. Other sports like rugby league and cricket have a wage cap, we don't in football because of course the PL would no longer be able to attract the talent that we never could before because players will always join the biggest league for wages, Saudi a slight exception because it's in its infancy and it's not in Europe, obviously! Cricket and rugby league have a limited pot of money, football doesn't in this country because it relies on hugely wealthy owners to finance it, and again, I'm not referring to City alone but almost the whole PL because to get there that's what it takes. Granted football generates huge income but the PL money isn't enough to finance the wages that most PL teams have to pay to compete, you need big backing also.

If City fans, and everyone else, but particularly the biggest clubs who have to pay the most ticket prices think what we've got now is good for the common man then fair play. I disagree. It's only sustainable if you have billion dollar owners, and given the insane money that owners are putting in and also the wages going out, why can't fans be given subsidised tickets if that's what's needed? Or we could have a wage cap and try and get this under control. It won't happen because we've gone too far now down the road.
Kin ell how many long winded posts are you going to make? Do you join every clubs forum to bore them to death like your teams football or is it just us you need to enlighten with your wisdom?

I did mention the community stuff in one of the posts and the huge investment in the area. I think I must have said about six or seven times that there's no gripe from me about City as a club or the spending as long as it's within the rules and that's not a dig at City either to current situation, as I said that side of things just bores me and it will no doubt go on for years. It's the Premier League and it's lack of regulation that's the issue, as others have said on here, loads of clubs have spent money in the past, maybe not for quite as intense for what City have recently, but Man U were regularly the biggest spenders for years and they also had a superb youth system. Blackburn bought the league at the time, but that was their right to do so and they spent very well too.

My issue is mainly with the lack of wealth distribution from the PL to the rest of the football league, it was the sole reason the PL was created was to remove themselves from the rest of the league so they could regulate themselves and make more money, the latter understandable, but then you've got the rest of the league feeding off the scraps and that doesn't make for a healthy football league. You've also got insane wages, transfer fees, ticket prices with so little regulation. Other sports like rugby league and cricket have a wage cap, we don't in football because of course the PL would no longer be able to attract the talent that we never could before because players will always join the biggest league for wages, Saudi a slight exception because it's in its infancy and it's not in Europe, obviously! Cricket and rugby league have a limited pot of money, football doesn't in this country because it relies on hugely wealthy owners to finance it, and again, I'm not referring to City alone but almost the whole PL because to get there that's what it takes. Granted football generates huge income but the PL money isn't enough to finance the wages that most PL teams have to pay to compete, you need big backing also.

If City fans, and everyone else, but particularly the biggest clubs who have to pay the most ticket prices think what we've got now is good for the common man then fair play. I disagree. It's only sustainable if you have billion dollar owners, and given the insane money that owners are putting in and also the wages going out, why can't fans be given subsidised tickets if that's what's needed? Or we could have a wage cap and try and get this under control. It won't happen because we've gone too far now down the road.
I didn't say you didn't mention it, but it certainly seems unimportant to you, that we've created a model, that produces footballers for football, by investing into football.

Seems to me you need a new sport to follow, or go to lower league football instead.

I've followed City since the early 70's as a kid, I don't care about what other clubs do, but I think what we have done is good for football, and it's largely the opposite of what clubs were doing 15 years ago.

My point was don't confuse spending money, and investment in football.

Our young players progress through a system from age 8 to age 20, the odd one makes it here, most don't, but they go out to other clubs (often for relatively small fee's) to that clubs benefit (often at much greater fee for that club), and even with our resources (investment into youth) not everyone will become a PL player.

loads of clubs have spent money in the past, maybe not for quite as intense for what City have recently, but Man U were regularly the biggest spenders for years and they also had a superb youth system. Blackburn bought the league at the time, but that was their right to do so and they spent very well too.
City spent a load due to the impending FFP which was twisted by United/Liverpool et al from reducing debt. And lets get it straight, City spent big for 3 years, were stabbed in the back by UEFA with an alteration to FFP because we actually passed the regulations, then took a fine, squad reduction and reduction in allowed losses for a further 2 years.
Since then we've reduced losses year on year while jumping through cartel hoops, probes, attempted bans (exonerated at CAS), now making massive profits whilst winning trophies (mainly due to Pep). We get great value on re-selling top players too.

I answered that previously Knuckles.

Are you aware that FFP prevents owner investment, if fact it was the reason for it Newcastle may well have the richest owners but, they can’t fund the club on the football side of the business transfers, salaries etc Turnover is king, and City with a fantastic commercial team, wise investment in players, an academy that produces players other clubs want and of course prize money earnings result in what is probably the best run club in world football
So, stop the nonsense about billionaire owners funding, that ship long sailed

Last edited:
During around the 77th minute in yesterday's game when Dias blocked a Sheffield Shot, Haaland turned around and yelled something at Dias which in turn made Dias do a dismissive hand gesture at Haaland. I wonder what was said.

I do respect Manchester City , they are the best team in Premier League history, but it is important that football remains a competitive game.
Forgive me, I'm just curious. Was it equally important in the 90s and 00s when our lovely neighbours were hoovering up titles? Or the 70s and 80s when Liverpool were doing likewise?

Forgive me, I'm just curious. Was it equally important in the 90s and 00s when our lovely neighbours were hoovering up titles? Or the 70s and 80s when Liverpool were doing likewise?
Yes, I definitely don't hold a candle for either Liverpool or Man Utd!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.