Sheffield United (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

Times change and football “evolves”. I recall teams being defensive but this low block, parking the bus approach seems to be more prevalent than it once was.

City have never really been that kind of team and it is very much not what our supporters want. Mind you, the football we play is some way removed from the Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Marsh stuff I grew up on.

I think some of our supporters still struggle with the way Pep has his team play the game but it is leading the development of a City way and hopefully building the foundations on which a lasting identity and dynasty can be built.

Sadly City’s success means that most teams have the objective of trying to contain City and hoping to capitalise on a mistake, set piece or counter attack.

The way in which City can control games also simply pushes many inferior teams back.

Yesterday, I was happy to watch City pass and probe and patiently wait for their moments. The most exciting games are where both teams have the ball and try to attack when they do but I am with Pep in not liking the opposition to have the ball.
Add me to that, even though this season on many occasions I get frustrated at the sideways and backwards. My fear of opposition having the ball is that they usually score *...

Times change and football “evolves”. I recall teams being defensive but this low block, parking the bus approach seems to be more prevalent than it once was.

City have never really been that kind of team and it is very much not what our supporters want. Mind you, the football we play is some way removed from the Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Marsh stuff I grew up on.

I think some of our supporters still struggle with the way Pep has his team play the game but it is leading the development of a City way and hopefully building the foundations on which a lasting identity and dynasty can be built.

Sadly City’s success means that most teams have the objective of trying to contain City and hoping to capitalise on a mistake, set piece or counter attack.

The way in which City can control games also simply pushes many inferior teams back.

Yesterday, I was happy to watch City pass and probe and patiently wait for their moments. The most exciting games are where both teams have the ball and try to attack when they do but I am with Pep in not liking the opposition to have the ball.
I agree with all of this except Sheffield had no intention of trying to score yesterday, City were never in danger and were not needing to score they weaved pretty patterns ball retention was great but in the entertainment stakes it was pretty boring to watch. The total blame for that is Wilder it was pretty much a stalement once City got the goal

It was a difficult game as a result of the Sheffield United set up and their desire to get anything out of the game other than a draw. The main things for me though were resemblance of a return to form, our ability to beat the defensive wall, seeing Phil Foden back to his best and KDB back in the squad. Having watched Arsenal and Liverpool (to a lesser extent) fail to break down teams who set up like that, it certainly makes me feel that we have that as an advantage.
Great result and clean sheet, hope we can progress further and show the World again that we are true champions.

I agree with all of this except Sheffield had no intention of trying to score yesterday, City were never in danger and were not needing to score they weaved pretty patterns ball retention was great but in the entertainment stakes it was pretty boring to watch. The total blame for that is Wilder it was pretty much a stalement once City got the goal
SU were certainly one of the most conservative opponents we have faced.

I amuse myself by thinking about where the next pass should go. They don’t always get it right ;) but very often do. I’d have them take a few more chances but when you lose the ball in open play, that can be when you have problems. Also, it makes sense to try and limit how much pressing you have to do: that is hard work.

When I played football (at the very lowest level possible), I often played in goal so to stay involved, I would constantly tell my team mates what to do with the ball, even when they were down the other end of the pitch and couldn’t hear me.

IMG-0137.jpg

We have been dross at times , but i cannot recall our team going away to big clubs with zero ambition with the only intention of keeping the score respectable , we always had attacking intent , ive been to Klanfield and watched us concede six goals the swamp and concede five goals , Middlesbrough concede eight goals , but we didnt go to those grounds and put ten men behind the ball.
Agree our success breeds fear in clubs when they play us , but it does ruin football games as a spectacle
Oh Christ don't remind me of that afternoon. In all honesty on that occasion it looked like the players just downed tools cos of the Sven situation.
Totally agree it ruins it but, as stated elsewhere, times and managerial styles change (in this case not for the better)

Alot better 2nd half wen we matched there 5 defenders with our 5 attackers that opened the game up a bit more for us. Unfortunately it's gonna be like this for another couple of months until the real fatigue sets in and we are able to open teams up alot earlier in games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.