Sheffield United (N) | FA Cup SF | Post-Match Thread

Sick of seeing smirking reds sniggering at the turn out.

Regardless of how many we took the fact that sheff U took less (big day out, doing well in the championship, playing the champs, get very decent home crowds in a high population city etc etc etc) spells out in huge letters that football fans are being priced out of these games.

Working mans sport no longer and with a cost of living crisis people make choices

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.

The first obvious one is the cost. We have a core support of around 25,000, adding in a few big game supporters still doesn’t get us near the allocation. My Dad and I went yesterday, neither of us drink but still spent well over £200 between us. I’m fortunate to be able to but Sheffield is a largely working class City where larger families will have been priced out.

In terms of getting to watch the champions, there is not much fun going to a game where you know you are going to lose, have hardly any chances and about 20% possession where a collection of the world’s best players run rings around your team for large parts. I’m 32 and this is our 5th semi final watching United but first where I went with absolutely no expectation or really hope of a result. We did miss a chance early on through NDiaye but being realistic that would have just riled your players and you’d have beaten us by more. In a strange way I think we’d have sold more against Brighton or Man U because our fans would have believed we at least had a chance.

Our starting 11 cost £28m yesterday, 20 of which was on Berge. Within that there were 5 free transfers and an academy graduate. I don’t know how much all your players costs but I know at least a few starters cost around or more than our whole 11. We don’t play on a level playing field anymore. The gap between the top 2, the next 3 and the rest is bigger than ever. We are likely to go up but even then there’s going to be games next season where we turn up expecting to get hammered.

I have to say though this is absolutely not a dig at City, other clubs (your city rivals!) have spent far more for far less return. Pep is far and away the best manager in the business in how he refreshes tactics and teams where your rivals fail and struggle to compete with you season on season. You are currently the best team in the world and a joy to watch on TV, just not so much in person when it’s our team on the receiving end!

All the best for your run at the treble, would be great to see you pick up the Champions League this time around especially.

What a ball ache having to travel to Wembley, with extortionate prices, shit transport back etc. At least for the vast majority to be able to walk to Wembley from the tube without fear of rival fans being twats was a bonus. That said never seen so many police and stewards before, they must have thought it was the rags we were playing.

Sheffield was always an unpleasant away day journey, especially in the 80s, strange folk in yodder land.
The only ground I have ever had a knife pulled on me, Bramall lane, it was a Wednesday night cup match if I remember. I was at the fa cup quarter at Goodison, and all that went on there before and after, countless times at $old Trafford, Millwall away, A few European games, countless big home and always, never before or since has a knife been pulled.

Sick of seeing smirking reds sniggering at the turn out.

Regardless of how many we took the fact that sheff U took less (big day out, doing well in the championship, playing the champs, get very decent home crowds in a high population city etc etc etc) spells out in huge letters that football fans are being priced out of these games.

Working mans sport no longer and with a cost of living crisis people make choices
Thats the defining thing as Sheffield sold less than us, considering that's their first semi final in god knows years it proves beyond doubt people just can't afford it at the moment, tickets, transport etc are getting to ridiculous levels...

The only ground I have ever had a knife pulled on me, Bramall lane, it was a Wednesday night cup match if I remember. I was at the fa cup quarter at Goodison, and all that went on there before and after, countless times at $old Trafford, Millwall away, A few European games, countless big home and always, never before or since has a knife been pulled.
I had my car torched at Bramhall lane, but it was a Saturday League 2 game, yodder cunts, always hated them

On five live they chatted to a City fan it cost around £400 all in for the day for him and his son, they didn’t have a clue these commentators, £25 for fish and chips at Wembley they nearly fell off their chairs. They were slagging off all the empty corporate seats and how the semis shouldn’t be at Wembley especially as it was two northern teams. They had nothing but praise for the fans but like others they have no idea what prices really are.
It's a pity the new Wembley wasn't built in a residential area with loads of cheaper takeaways and cafes within walking distance.

Thats the defining thing as Sheffield sold less than us, considering that's their first semi final in god knows years it proves beyond doubt people just can't afford it at the moment, tickets, transport etc are getting to ridiculous levels...
We’ve been in semi finals in 2015, 2014, two in 2003, 1999 and 1993. I think the bigger thing for our fans was we lost all 6 of those and had less realistic chance yesterday than in any of those. Throw in 4 playoff final defeats and some of our fans just don’t go to these sort of games anymore just by being ground down after all the defeats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.