Sheffield United (N) | FA Cup SF | Post-Match Thread

Thats a nice read thanks and you seem quite a knowledgeable bunch yourselves. Only thing I would say is that with the possible exception of Haaland, the team aren't really a collection of the world's best players, in fact most are written off as bad buys by our wonderful press on arrival. its more the unit Pep has moulded them into and how much he improves players. When Pellegrini was here we were only just making top 4.
Premier League winners, two League Cups and the CL semi-final. And he was the first manager to get us into the CL knock out phase.
I'm not sure 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in four seasons under Pellers is "only just making top four".

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.

The first obvious one is the cost. We have a core support of around 25,000, adding in a few big game supporters still doesn’t get us near the allocation. My Dad and I went yesterday, neither of us drink but still spent well over £200 between us. I’m fortunate to be able to but Sheffield is a largely working class City where larger families will have been priced out.

In terms of getting to watch the champions, there is not much fun going to a game where you know you are going to lose, have hardly any chances and about 20% possession where a collection of the world’s best players run rings around your team for large parts. I’m 32 and this is our 5th semi final watching United but first where I went with absolutely no expectation or really hope of a result. We did miss a chance early on through NDiaye but being realistic that would have just riled your players and you’d have beaten us by more. In a strange way I think we’d have sold more against Brighton or Man U because our fans would have believed we at least had a chance.

Our starting 11 cost £28m yesterday, 20 of which was on Berge. Within that there were 5 free transfers and an academy graduate. I don’t know how much all your players costs but I know at least a few starters cost around or more than our whole 11. We don’t play on a level playing field anymore. The gap between the top 2, the next 3 and the rest is bigger than ever. We are likely to go up but even then there’s going to be games next season where we turn up expecting to get hammered.

I have to say though this is absolutely not a dig at City, other clubs (your city rivals!) have spent far more for far less return. Pep is far and away the best manager in the business in how he refreshes tactics and teams where your rivals fail and struggle to compete with you season on season. You are currently the best team in the world and a joy to watch on TV, just not so much in person when it’s our team on the receiving end!

All the best for your run at the treble, would be great to see you pick up the Champions League this time around especially.
Great post pal. At the end of the day, it was 2 clubs around 200 miles away from Wembley paying high prices for a SEMI-final. Cost of living is a killer at the moment with families deciding to heat or eat, without even considering a football match. I've always liked Sufc because you're a real set of fans who represent your City well with passionate support. I did have some doings with your bbc crew back in the day and took a bit of a kicking on the forecourt about 20 years ago(deserved tbh)but gave it back at home in spades :) Good luck next season and I hope you stay up at the expense of Leeds(if they don't go down this season).

Premier League winners, two League Cups and the CL semi-final. And he was the first manager to get us into the CL knock out phase.
I'm not sure 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in four seasons under Pellers is "only just making top four".
He had 3 years, the 3rd placed was under the current manager. MP tailed off once he knew he was sacked, concentrated on the UCL.

I have been reading this forum for a while, mainly to see City fans thoughts on how Doyle and McAtee are developing with us (both tremendously by the way) but thought as an SUFC fan would offer an alternative opinion on why we didn’t sell out.

The first obvious one is the cost. We have a core support of around 25,000, adding in a few big game supporters still doesn’t get us near the allocation. My Dad and I went yesterday, neither of us drink but still spent well over £200 between us. I’m fortunate to be able to but Sheffield is a largely working class City where larger families will have been priced out.

In terms of getting to watch the champions, there is not much fun going to a game where you know you are going to lose, have hardly any chances and about 20% possession where a collection of the world’s best players run rings around your team for large parts. I’m 32 and this is our 5th semi final watching United but first where I went with absolutely no expectation or really hope of a result. We did miss a chance early on through NDiaye but being realistic that would have just riled your players and you’d have beaten us by more. In a strange way I think we’d have sold more against Brighton or Man U because our fans would have believed we at least had a chance.

Our starting 11 cost £28m yesterday, 20 of which was on Berge. Within that there were 5 free transfers and an academy graduate. I don’t know how much all your players costs but I know at least a few starters cost around or more than our whole 11. We don’t play on a level playing field anymore. The gap between the top 2, the next 3 and the rest is bigger than ever. We are likely to go up but even then there’s going to be games next season where we turn up expecting to get hammered.

I have to say though this is absolutely not a dig at City, other clubs (your city rivals!) have spent far more for far less return. Pep is far and away the best manager in the business in how he refreshes tactics and teams where your rivals fail and struggle to compete with you season on season. You are currently the best team in the world and a joy to watch on TV, just not so much in person when it’s our team on the receiving end!

All the best for your run at the treble, would be great to see you pick up the Champions League this time around especially.
You are absolutely right. It is a dear do, travel.expense, ticket expense, buying anything to eat when you are down there. I went part way by car (to Warwick) and the rest by train. It is a long day too. I am not sure why other clubs are bothered about the turn out, it has nothing to do with them. They can all sod off. Good luck to you and your club.

Thought Sheffield United acquitted themselves well in the circumstances and they can take some heart from that display for next season. Perhaps they could have given us a scare if they'd stuck away the early chance, then avoided the reckless challenge from their striker that gave us the penalty through which we went in ahead at the break. Needing three points from four games, they at least shouldn't now have any problem wrapping up automatic promotion.

Job done for us, anyway, and pleasing that we were able to rest Stones, KDB and Rodri, as well as managing to build a three-goal lead with 25 minutes or so left, allowing us to make a few subs. Arsenal on Wednesday is a huge game and I think we approach it looking in excellent shape, which is very pleasing.

I wasnt having a dig at your support by the way. Sorry if it came across like that.

I was point out really why we both didnt sell out and using your support as an example to back up ourselves not selling out too (yes i confused myself there)

Cost for me and my little girl yesterday;

Tickets £135
Fuel £60
Parking at watford £10
Tube £12 (i think?)
2 Pizza and 2 Cokes on baker street £35
2 pints and 2 cokes in a marylebone pub £16
Programme £5 (?)
Coke in wembley £4.20 (robbing bastards)
Macdonalds on way home £12

That is a fuckin dear do. Add that on to what supporting city has already cost me in the month of april alone. Plus a final where my son will want to come too.

Its choices. I think both teams did extremely well to shift 30k each .

Good luck for future and look after mcatee and doyle as i think they will be staying with you

I agree, sunshine, drugs and alcohol bring out the worst in some football fans. This has also been called out as unacceptable on our forum this morning and ruined the day of quite a few of our young fans experiencing Wembley for the first time.

I do think it’s a growing concern across football post pandemic and we have an unpleasant share like most clubs.
Agree , there was quite a few trying to goad City fans , i am in my sixties with my family and a couple of teens in my face shouting "come on then" , really is pathetic , and yet queing for the tube had a good crack with a few of their supporters.
Alcohol and drugs , the columbian marching powder now being the go to addiction means there will be a proportion of dickheads in every fan base , but if they want a scrap why approach pensioners with their families , have a go at some of our more youthful supporters and see what happens.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.