Should aeroplane gestures be acted upon by the club?

Doctor Who actor David Tennant will star in a film about the tragic story of the Busby Babes.

The United team was the youngest side ever to win the Football League – with an average age of 21 in 1956.

But in February 1958, eight players lost their lives in the Munich air disaster and two, Jackie Blanchflower and Johnny Berry, were unable to play again.

The crash, caused when the plane skidded on snow, killed 23 of the 44 passengers, including club supporters and journalists.

The BBC Two film, United, will draw on first-hand interviews with survivors, looking at how the team and community overcame the tragedy.

Tennant, who left his role as the Doctor earlier this year, will play ‘starmaker’ Jimmy Murphy – the coach who scouted and trained the young talent.

Jack O’Connell – James Cook in Channel 4’s Skins – will portray club legend Bobby Charlton, and Thomas Howes will play centre-half Mark Jones. The part of manager Matt Busby is to be confirmed.

Peter Salmon, director of BBC North, said: “This was a tragedy that touched the lives of many people in Manchester both directly and indirectly. With its superbly talented cast and powerful script, I am proud BBC North is supporting this project.”

United, written by Lancashire-born Chris Chibnall whose credits include Torchwood and Life On Mars, begins filming this month and is due out in the spring.

blueinsa said:
Shock fucking horror...football fans at football match sing nasty songs...

I swear that the creators of threads like these have only just started to watch football or go to games?

Gone on for a long time and it will never stop until they stop milking it!

Sssshhhhh.......dont mention the M***** word unless its the rags and they fancy making a few quid out of it.

For those that dont like it or dont sing it, fine, thats your choice but ffs, stop coming on here and creating the same old tired thread in the vain hope that it will stop. It wont and its boring.

We will go to football shortly with hands tied behind our backs and gaffer tape over our mouths and seatbelts must be worn at all times during the game :-(

Nail on the head. Good job some people weren't around 20 or more years ago otherwise they would have had a thrombie at some of the songs that used to be sang at games. Those nasty, nasty football fans.<br /><br />-- Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 pm --<br /><br />
mancitymick said:
Doctor Who actor David Tennant will star in a film about the tragic story of the Busby Babes.

The United team was the youngest side ever to win the Football League – with an average age of 21 in 1956.

But in February 1958, eight players lost their lives in the Munich air disaster and two, Jackie Blanchflower and Johnny Berry, were unable to play again.

The crash, caused when the plane skidded on snow, killed 23 of the 44 passengers, including club supporters and journalists.

The BBC Two film, United, will draw on first-hand interviews with survivors, looking at how the team and community overcame the tragedy.

Tennant, who left his role as the Doctor earlier this year, will play ‘starmaker’ Jimmy Murphy – the coach who scouted and trained the young talent.

Jack O’Connell – James Cook in Channel 4’s Skins – will portray club legend Bobby Charlton, and Thomas Howes will play centre-half Mark Jones. The part of manager Matt Busby is to be confirmed.

Peter Salmon, director of BBC North, said: “This was a tragedy that touched the lives of many people in Manchester both directly and indirectly. With its superbly talented cast and powerful script, I am proud BBC North is supporting this project.”

United, written by Lancashire-born Chris Chibnall whose credits include Torchwood and Life On Mars, begins filming this month and is due out in the spring.

Thank god for that! I don't think it's ever been mentioned before so i'm glad they are bringing it to the conscience of the nation.

I look forward to the BBC adaption of the Superga air disaster, so we can see how it affected another football club where all the team was killed.

It is very difficult to stop but it does embarrass the club. Just as many sets of tossers amongst other sets of fans embarrass their own clubs. But however much it embarrasses the club, they won't do anything about it as it open a huge can of worms. Just like other clubs won't do something about the nobheads amongst their own fans for the same reasons.

I do laugh though at the justifications offered.

"They do this"
"I'm anti PC"
"If you've got a problem do something about it"

It's quite simple. Individuals make a choice. Some people are sad enough to do it. Some people are so dim that they can convince themselves that it means nothing. Some people use the pathetic actions of others to justify their own pathetic actions. Some people are capable of having standards and keeping them.

One thing always strikes me though. Whether it is nobhead United fans singing about Hillsborough or nobhead City fans singing about Munich, those that use the actions of others to justify their own pathetic stuff are always the people who are most angered by the other side's nobheads. They simultaneously seeth and castigate nobheads on the other side, whilst acting in exactly the same way themselves.

But hey, hypocrisy and a lack of personal responsibility is a way of life for the Jeremy Kyle type sections of society. It shouldn't really be a surprise.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
But hey, hypocrisy and a lack of personal responsibility is a way of life for the Jeremy Kyle type sections of society. It shouldn't really be a surprise.

Nowt like a sweeping generalisation!

Lets be honest every clubs guilty of having songs that are low. Everton fans have some pretty distasteful songs. Why just the Munich song?. I agree I think both Liverpool and Manchester United fans go overboard when talking about their disasters but many fans just think the songs sick. I'd say certain clubs fans get more abuse than others. Everton and Liverpool fans get the same old anti scouse songs, which I actually find quite funny. Spurs get a load of anti semetic abuse and United get abuse about Munich. Racist behaviour still happens at grounds without punishment but realistically when people are in large crowds they can belnd in and it's very hard to punish individuals like to Sol Campbell case.

Why did fans call Foster 'a m*nich'?
Does this wind him up? Whats an air disaster got to do with him?
Why did those people stay silent during the minute before kick off to remember the dead the mock some people that died.

MAKE ALL THE F.CKING EXCUSES YOU LIKE, YOU LOT ARE AN EMBARASSMENT.

Looking at it i think you have 2 or 3 types of fans. One fan just sings the songs as is probably unaware of context. Others sing it as a way of mocking man utd not the people who died. It might be a way of saying no matter what's gone on this is what we think of that club. Thus why people sing at ex-utd players. They dont do it too annoy said player whether in this case its ben foster, its done to mock the man utd club. Finally, maybe some people mock the folks who unfortunately died. I doubt there are many of these, maybe some real nasty people put no level-headed people. I also think sometimes you can get caught up in it all and sometimes sing things you wouldn't normally think of doing.

I think that is why there was the outrage about the Foe comments because it was a reference to one person and made it all the more personal to everybody.

Im not sayin its correct, but those are just my thoughts.

Ken is 80 and sits in front of me at COMS. He told us that he was working nights in a factory when the news came through on the radio about the crash. Apparently a huge cheer went up in celebration. However Ken did add that they didn't really know what they were cheering. I'm not so sure. Hope this helps. Cheers Ken.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.