Should there be international football at this stage of the season?

Shall we play for our country?

• Yes

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 172 95.0%

• Total voters
I wish it were only two games instead of three, but I've got no problem with the breaks.

Tbh I love watching England these days because the City players are usually so much more skilled than their contemporaries. Even Walker, who for City looks technically limited in possession, looks miles better than the midfielders when they have ball.

Year 1 World Cup qualifiers
Year 2 World Cup
Year 3 Euro/ACON/Copa America etc qualifiers
Year 4 Euros/ACON/Copa America

Ban all friendly matches.

All played June/July

This international break is too soon. A few teams who got off to a bad start might see it as a blessing but most will see it as a hindrance because most teams were only just beginning to find some rhythm and this could disrupt it.

Why not either:

Have some in October to November, then some more after the busy period is over when some players would be happy for internationals to change things up.

OR

Have some in winter instead of a winter break and then finish the season in April and have all the rest of the qualifiers in May. With less friendlies all around.

I can remember in the early '70s, fixtures carried on, when internationals were played. If a club had players in the England team, they had to suck it up and get on with it.
They played Internationals midweek between full league fixtures for all Divisions, a player would turn out for his club on the Saturday, meet up, train and play for his country on the Wednesday and be back playing for his club the following weekend. They didn't miss any league matches for their clubs.

They played Internationals midweek between full league fixtures for all Divisions, a player would turn out for his club on the Saturday, meet up, train and play for his country on the Wednesday and be back playing for his club the following weekend. They didn't miss any league matches for their clubs.
isnt there a story about mark hughes playing 2 games in the same day?

isnt there a story about mark hughes playing 2 games in the same day?
Indeed there is:

“On 11 November 1987, he played two competitive matches in one day, first for Wales against Czechoslovakia in Prague in a Euro 1988 qualifier, and second, after being flown across the border into Germany, appearing as a substitute for Bayern in their second round cup replay over Borussia Mönchengladbach.”

Absolutely not. Especially in a year where there has been a major summer tournament which means most players have not had full pre season with their clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.