Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

I'm pretty sure the black armbands last night will have been for Bobby Charlton, despite him having nothing to do with either club.

I'd like to understand what makes the difference, why Bobby gets this respect across all matches yet Franny just gets something at City.

Is it because of about 80 caps difference? If so, what's the cut off? What if Franny had 70 caps? Would that be enough?

Or is it because he was one of the World Cup winners? Not sure we've had this level of respect shown for all of that team.

Or is it just because of some other factor?

The proliferation of applauding fans who have died seems similar in some ways to the fans with signs asking for a player's shirt. People seem to think because they support the club they deserve it (and you could argue that in some special cases they do). And then others see it on TV or social media and want to do the same but nobody wants to draw a line in the sand to say that ones ok but that one isn't.

I dont see why Spurs or Fulham should be wearing armbands for someone who had nothing to do with them. Has this been done for every WC winner in the pasted ?

Off typic abit after the London terror attacks Dover Castle flew the national trust flag at half past. I phoned them up and asked why didnt you fly it aweek earlier for the Manchester bombing, dont northerners matter ?

Ok I might have been abit childish but it really pissed me of that it had only flown it for Londoners.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, we increasingly have world events being marked.

These pre match gestures have lost their meaning.

When i last mentioned taking the knee wasn't having the impact it once did i was accused of racism.
And that's the thing nowadays. Express any opinion and somebody will accuse you of be anti to it.
I thought taking the knee was just for the first match of the season this year. So i was glad to see it and thought it will be a great reminder and will have a better impact.. But no, it seems it is staying.

This minute silence/applause almost every week is the same.
Somebody famous/attached to the club will die every week. So who decides their death was more/less important?
Last match of the year is the best place for it.

I have no problem with the black armband. The individual can express their own personal grief without making others join in. But i do feel sometimes players are forced to wear them. Those choosing to not wear them probably get grief for it.

If they have to do these things, then why not do them 15 mins before kick off? (announced through the media before the match)
Then we could see who is really bothered about them by coming early.

Doing it almost every kick off just pisses me off!
Yup same here. I'm sick of the politics. Last week they did the minutes silence for Bobby Charlton (I think, or maybe it was for the Israel Gaza war), then they take the knee before actually kicking off...

They need to ban this shit though because the Israel issue is divisive, the BLM thing started with the right intentions, but BLM are coming out with politically incorrect stuff nowadays so do the PL support that now?

Just stay out of it, keep the politics out, like cricket, tennis, crown green bowls ffs. Why just football!

Maybe a little of topic but it's starting to annoy me all this procession happens, just play the bloody game we paid to see.

Nearly all of that world cup winning team has had significant coverage. Bobby Charlton was much more widely known than Franny, who still had several articles on BBC sport and was covered by all media outlets. If Franny had won the World Cup he'd have had a similar scale to Bobby. Franny was very good, but he wasn't one of the best English players ever like Bobby either.

Agree with you. On this part of the message though... What I was trying to get really, but didn't word well (and probably won't again) was about how silly the degrees of respect seem to be.

I get that Bobby was better known than Franny around the world etc, so there being more attention doesn't surprise me. But does he deserve more respect because he was a slightly better footballer? Because he won the World Cup?

It's one of those things where there's no way of pleasing everyone and always being consistent, but looking into the future, would Harry Kane end up not getting the widespread silences and attention because he hasn't won a World Cup? Does that make a difference when it's a team game?

If Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal hadn't counted we might have lost that game. And then what? Would Bobby be viewed any differently? Would he be any less if a person because a close decision went against us rather than for us? Would he deserve any less respect?

I've got to say, as someone who is as "woke" as they come, the generalized minute's silence for both Israel/Palestine transitioning into a minute's applause for a former player transitioning into a taking of the knee for an abstracted anti-racism was one of the weirdest and most absurd things I've seen at a football match.

I dont see why Spurs or Fulham should be wearing armbands for someone who had nothing to do with them. Has this been done for every WC winner in the pasted ?

Off typic abit after the London terror attacks Dover Castle flew the national trust flag at half past. I phoned them up and asked why didnt you fly it aweek earlier for the Manchester bombing, dont northerners matter ?

Ok I might have been abit childish but it really pissed me of that it had only flown it for Londoners.

Just googled it and I was wrong - the black armbands were a premier League thing this week for Israel/Gaza.

Sunday will be a minute's applause not a silence. Not sure why they are having anything as surely their next home game is this week in the CL. Why are they doing anything for a PL game a few days after?

Sunday will be a minute's applause not a silence. Not sure why they are having anything as surely their next home game is this week in the CL. Why are they doing anything for a PL game a few days after?

Probably just because the CL games are on TNT sports these days and they want the widest coverage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.