Sign martinez now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exeter Blue I am here said:
Ended up playing centre forward and dived every time he was touched. Woeful performance from both Martinez (individually) and Spain (collectively). Wouldn't pay tuppence for him based on that showing

Agreed, but consider how he played against Rooney and the Rags in the Europa.That was world class!

BlueAnorak said:
Ended up playing centre forward and dived every time he was touched. Woeful performance from both Martinez (individually) and Spain (collectively). Wouldn't pay tuppence for him based on that showing

Agreed, but consider how he played against Rooney and the Rags in the Europa.That was world class!

True. Lack of pace is my biggest concern about him though, and whilst he's got all the comfortableness in possession we always associate with Spanish players, I wonder if he's robust enough for centre half on a regular basis. He looked like he couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding today!

BlueAnorak said:

True. Lack of pace is my biggest concern about him though, and whilst he's got all the comfortableness in possession we always associate with Spanish players, I wonder if he's robust enough for centre half on a regular basis. He looked like he couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding today!

hes quicker than barry thats for certain, imo his best position is centre mid, maybe centre back in la liga but over here he would be more suited to central midfield and as cover for centre back.

If we're going to judge on international football now and especially one-off Olympics performances then Micah should be playing for Stevenage after the clusterfook he and Tomkins made out of defending against Brazil. Judge players on their club performances and Martinez is a top talent, albeit a little undisciplined (too many yellow and red cards last season) - something that can be sorted.

kompany10 said:
were nowhere near the top clubs? in what sense?

In my opinion a top club is a squad who is one of the worlds best and ours is.

You gotta give Rammy and dan some credit there. "Top squad" doesn't equal "top club". You won't ever be considered a top club unless you make it big in Europe and even those who mangage to win the UCL but then fail to perform among the elite on a constant basis are quickly forgotten like it happened to Benfica or Ajax. Those are still big clubs, but they failed to perform on a constant basis in recent (10-15) years.

Only the clubs that challenge for the UCL and their domestic title on a constant basis and win it every now and then are truly considered "top clubs". A successful club history adds to the myth of a "top club" as well.
Sure, we got one of the best squads in Europe atm but a top squad alone won't do you any good as long as you don't get to give it a shot at international silverware at least every now and then.

European top clubs in my opinion...

Real Madrid (considered the world's biggest club; 9x UCL winner; 12 UCL finals)
FC Barcelona (dominated Europe in recent years; 4x UCL winner; 7 UCL finals)
AC Milan (always a serious UCL title contender; 7x UCL winner, 9 UCL finals)
FC Bayern (always a serious UCL title contender; 4x UCL winner; 9 UCL Finals)
Rags (hate to say it but they are up there; 3x UCL winner; 5 UCL finals)
Internazionale Milano (currently in decline; 3x UCL winner; 5 UCL finals)
FC Chelsea (earned that spot through the past 10 years; 1x UCL winner; 2 UCL finals)
Scousers (currently in decline; 5x UCL winner; 7 UCL finals)
Juventus (still a myth in italy and currently on the rise; 2x UCL winner; 7 UCL finals)
The Arse (barely in; perform quite well in Prem and UCL on a constant basis)

Patience is the key here. We'll be up there as well within a few years time and will probably replace the Scousers or the Arse in that list. Challenging for Silverware and winning some is the way to do it. Btw... no ranking intended.

kompany10 said:
BlueAnorak said:

hes quicker than barry thats for certain, imo his best position is centre mid, maybe centre back in la liga but over here he would be more suited to central midfield and as cover for centre back.

He's never looked quicker than Barry when I've seen him & has been useless in half the games I've seen him & pretty good in the other half but never anywhere near living upto the hype.

Potential and nothing more so far imo & nowhere near good enough to replace either of our centre halves yet, as some have suggested.

Neville Kneville said:
kompany10 said:

He's never looked quicker than Barry when I've seen him & has been useless in half the games I've seen him & pretty good in the other half but never anywhere near living upto the hype.

Potential and nothing more so far imo & nowhere near good enough to replace either of our centre halves yet, as some have suggested.
35 mill is madness, which is why he ain't signed for anyone. 17/20 mill worth a punt. Looks to have it all but there must be a few doubts.

I can't remember seeing him more lame than last night. He looked unfit, compared to what I normally see when watching Bilbao.

Herrera looked good though!

I'm working at the Newcastle Uni training centre where the football teams are training and Spain are here for the next couple of days. It's my day off today, but if (and it's a big if) I get chance tomorrow, I'll ask Martinez if he's coming to us.

unexpected item said:
I'm working at the Newcastle Uni training centre where the football teams are training and Spain are here for the next couple of days. It's my day off today, but if (and it's a big if) I get chance tomorrow, I'll ask Martinez if he's coming to us.

Can't wait for this. He's sure to give an honest and direct answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.