Sir Chris Hoy reveals cancer diagnosis

Awful news. You just assumed it had been caught early and he was going to be OK with treatment. Even more terrible is the fact he’s so young and he’s got young kids.

I feel so lucky that my prostate cancer was detected early and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the scans showed that it hadn’t spread.

If I’d not gone for the routine PSA test I could have been in the same position.

Please, guys, go for a PSA test when you are at or near 50. I didn’t have any symptoms but the treatment I am on now is painless and I can still do everything I want to. But this is only because it was found early.

I hope Chris Hoy can make the best of a last few happy years with his family.

Terrible news, I'm too old to hero worship people but he would come very close, so much to admire about the man and athlete. Really hope he can have as long as possible.
I'm having my stomach removed next month, feel lucky when you hear news like this.

Always came across as a decent lad terrible news, hope he and his family can squeeze as much out of what's left of his life.

Awful news. You just assumed it had been caught early and he was going to be OK with treatment. Even more terrible is the fact he’s so young and he’s got young kids.

I feel so lucky that my prostate cancer was detected early and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the scans showed that it hadn’t spread.

If I’d not gone for the routine PSA test I could have been in the same position.

Please, guys, go for a PSA test when you are at or near 50. I didn’t have any symptoms but the treatment I am on now is painless and I can still do everything I want to. But this is only because it was found early.

He's been desperately unlucky in that he had no symptoms as far as I'm aware from his prostate so the cancer was slowly growing unawares. It was only when it spread to other areas it was discovered. It's often called the silent killer for that very reason. If he looks back there may have been small signs such as a need to urinate more but being young and fit he probably shrugged them off. This cancer now appears to be hitting much younger men than it once did. I echo what you say, keep an eye on it and get a PSA test asap. Don't let your doctor fob you off, insist.

A weird reply for sure. Although a part of me says...yeah...release it!!

From personal experience cancer only thrives because it blocks the body from seeing it. My treatment, I have the bastard stuff on the liver, lungs and chest area which is a far cry from the mole I had removed that was cancerous, removes the cancer inhibitors and lets the body attack it. Cue lots of internal fights going on and an immune system that is really fucked. Also cue loads of problems because of this.

It sounds like, and this is only reading what he said and a bit between the lines, he had prostrate cancer, treatment was attempted, and now, like me, it's spread. Cue the extra treatment. In my case, immunotherapy...too many areas for any other treatment to work, in his case...? Maybe the same, I hope the same because it works really well if you are fit in the first place. (for those that know me my Doctor told me I was!!) It also lets the body attack all the cancer.

So a terminal diagnosis, although a shock when first told, might not mean terminal. Well it probably does but not in the shock and awe of the word but rather maybe a few years down the line. In the meantime I've had holidays, been to concerts, been drunk and apart from giving up work led a sort of normal life.

Sure I get tired, it washes over you sometimes, but I've progressed from hospital visits for infusions/ illness every week to once a month infusion at home from a lovely nurse, a monthly blood check, phone call and no hospital at all in 12 months apart from scans. The cancer has even shrunk in some areas. We are talking millimetres though!

If he's gone down this route then his quality of life will be very good. Obviously we don't know how far down the road he is or what his treatment is but he comes across as a fighter. The main problem is the prostrate word. If that's not been sorted out first, if he wasn't in remission for that before it spread, then that's a fucking hard version to shift.

Still, he says he's on treatment..."You remind yourself, aren't I lucky that there is medicine I can take that will fend this off for as long as possible."...so finger crossed he can fight the bastard stuff.
I hope everything goes well for you fella

If the bastard C has got this sports mad human being, who's trained like mad over the years and would of eaten the right food and not abused alcohol, recreational drugs and tobacco, then what chance have us mere mortals got .? Sometimes fate can be so cruel.

Got my PSA test added to my routine blood test a month ago, fortunately everything was fine.

As you say mate all blokes should see their GP and get it done.

Terribly sad news reading this, this morning added to their situation is the diagnosis of his wife’s MS. Life can be so cruel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.