Sir Joe ?

One of our all time great managers assembled a side which were a band of brothers and so much more than the sum of their parts. A captain in Andy Morrison willing to sweat blood for the club, the legend that was the goat, the Whitley's and Paul Dickov to name but a few. I always think of the Wigan play off home leg as the day a long nightmare ended. A night of such passion and emotion and despite one more relegation don't think the club has really looked back since. Younger blues will have no idea the debt we owe Joe Royle, he gave us back our pride and joyful days like Gillingham at Wembley, and Birmingham at home and Blackburn away the season after times we thought had gone forever. So thanks Sir Joe the man who saved Manchester City.

Some of the best times I had watching City. Sure we've seen better quality football now, but I got to go to grounds I've never seen before, saw Kevin Horlock sent off for agressive walking at Bournemouth and I still get a shiver when thinking of the 28th Dec game when Stoke went in 1-0 up at half time.

Joe gave some team talk 'cos we reaped the whirlwind in the 2nd half and blew them away. The fight from our players was just awesome, the crowd in full voice egging the boys on and a 2-1 victory that set us on our way to Wembley.

Last edited:
Loved him. Grabbed us kicking and screaming into the playoffs and the rest is history. Got us organised and actually playing as a team for the first time since the Brian Horton days i would say.
An underrated elite coach - wonderful partnership with Willie Donachie. Had Oldham playing some great high energy football and getting to the latter stages of the cups, including a League Cup final. Like Pep, he transformed some unrecognised players into internationals. Remember Earl Barrett - what a player, Roger Palmer (I played against him as a kid when he played for the Manchester Senrab), Rick Holden, Denis Irwin, Andy Ritchie, Paul Warhurst and others. Won the FA Cup with Everton and turned us around. Not afraid of saying we are City, we are coming back. I think he said something like when this club turns it round there'll be no stopping us. For sure he should have been England coach at some point - who knows what he would have achieved. And what a striker he was. Great guy.

Just watched the Gillingham & Blackburn games. Think we owe a major debt to Joe Royle. Thank you Sir Joe. Where would we be now without you.
I watched the Gillingham game last night also. Did you notice how vocal the commentator was when Gillingham scored as opposed to our goals.
A lot of those tackles wouldn't be allowed today and there were two handball instances for each side that would have been given by VAR.
Still a great watch.

Great bloke. Much praise rightfully goes to the current owners, but I see the combination of Joe and Bernstein as just as vital. The pragmatism they both showed after the relegation at Stoke was the bad news / unpleasant medicine we needed to save the club and equip us to rise back up the divisions. I always remember the week after we went down in 98 the M(U)EN doing a two page spread on the 55 players we had on the books. Yes we lost kinky, but there was a lot of dead wood and debt to deal with too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.