"Smart" motorways

Fucking death traps and distracting. The m6 is a joke 3 lanes of hgvs trying to beat each others speed limiter and everyone else staying in the 4th lane even if it's clear on the left after passing.

Had a blowout on the M62 a couple of weeks ago, fortunately after the end of the Smart motorway section. It was scary enough getting out on to the hard shoulder with 38 ton lorries going past at 70mph. Had it happened in the bit where there was no hard shoulder it would have been terrifying. Had to get recovered and the recovery driver told me about the number of times that breakdowns on a smart motorway have ended in disaster or very near misses. Scary stuff.
Yes they are death traps. We were hit from behind by a transit van on M1 near Northampton coming back from England v Switzerland last month at Wembley at 10-20pm in a stretch of motorway where they are making it into a Smart motorway so there is no hard shoulder, Police and highways agency were phoned and informed. Car was without lights and in live traffic just waiting to be smashed into and the only way a definite fatality was avoided was that we were behind the car waving our phone torches for 3 hours because that is how long it took anyone to come to us police, highways or breakdown. Numerous Articulated lorries, cars and other vehicles were doing emergency stops or had to swerve violently as they approached us. All you could smell was burning rubber and so glad no one died. DISGRACE.

An example of an incident my mate told me about with someone he works with in a company vehicle.

The van ploughed into the back of a car that had broken down on a smart motorway.

When they reviewed the dash cam footage they found the driver of the van had gone past a Red Cross sign and ignored it.

However the vehicle he crashed into had no lights or hazard warning on
2 examples of people being shit at driving and thick. Nothing to do with the motorway.

The first thick twat managed to hit a static object that was probably in his view for over 500m and failed to see it or react. If you claim he wouldn’t have had time to stop because at 70mph you travel 500m in x seconds you are proving that he was driving too fast for his capabilities. This thick twat also went beyond a red X which most none thick twats will know is prohibited.

And as for the second thick twat who stopped without putting his hazards on , well, enough said.

the motorways are full of absolute cocks who can’t drive.

2 examples of people being shit at driving and thick. Nothing to do with the motorway.

The first thick twat managed to hit a static object that was probably in his view for over 500m and failed to see it or react. If you claim he wouldn’t have had time to stop because at 70mph you travel 500m in x seconds you are proving that he was driving too fast for his capabilities. This thick twat also went beyond a red X which most none thick twats will know is prohibited.

And as for the second thick twat who stopped without putting his hazards on , well, enough said.

the motorways are full of absolute cocks who can’t drive.
I crashed into the back of a static car on the M61 and have the scars and metal plate in my shoulder to prove it

Fucking death traps and distracting. The m6 is a joke 3 lanes of hgvs trying to beat each others speed limiter and everyone else staying in the 4th lane even if it's clear on the left after passing.
totally agree, why on earth hgvs are allowed in the 3rd land of a moterway that has been widened to increase and speed up traffic flow is beyond me

Not linked to smart motorwys, but went to France for the first time in four years a couple of weeks ago and forgot just how good it is to drive on the roads over there. Not just the space, the culture they have of everyone moving into the left lane as soon as possible means you never get that person pottering along in the middle or even the fast lane.

It’s in the Highway Code for here too but the difference in how people apply it is huge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.