"Smart" motorways

I guess the point Kinkladze 1 is missing is that it doesn’t matter how bad a driver you are if you have broken down. If you have come to a stop before you’ve reached an emergency lay-by, then you are a sitting duck until the system works out you are an obstacle.

An example of an incident my mate told me about with someone he works with in a company vehicle.

The van ploughed into the back of a car that had broken down on a smart motorway.

When they reviewed the dash cam footage they found the driver of the van had gone past a Red Cross sign and ignored it.

However the vehicle he crashed into had no lights or hazard warning on

I guess the point Kinkladze 1 is missing is that it doesn’t matter how bad a driver you are if you have broken down. If you have come to a stop before you’ve reached an emergency lay-by, then you are a sitting duck until the system works out you are an obstacle.
I think his missing if the point may be something to do with Darwin’s theory of evolution.

What a crap couple of journeys. I am certain that reducing the speed on these motorways to much causes congestion. If they slow the traffic to 40 there will be more vehicles entering that section than leaving. Is that not common sense? So why do they do it if there aren’t any breakdowns etc? Yesterday on the way over on M62 they slowed traffic down from 70 to 60 right down to 40. On one sign as we approached is went 50 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 40 all in the space of time it took me to reach the sign. Today coming back the speed was different on every sign for several miles anything from 40 to 70. Crazy and confusing.

What a crap couple of journeys. I am certain that reducing the speed on these motorways to much causes congestion. If they slow the traffic to 40 there will be more vehicles entering that section than leaving. Is that not common sense? So why do they do it if there aren’t any breakdowns etc? Yesterday on the way over on M62 they slowed traffic down from 70 to 60 right down to 40. On one sign as we approached is went 50 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 40 all in the space of time it took me to reach the sign. Today coming back the speed was different on every sign for several miles anything from 40 to 70. Crazy and confusing.

The amount of cars you can fit on a section of road depends upon their speed. Slower cars travel closer together so more can fit into a section. To travel 70mph cars need a certain amount of space in front and behind. If there is not enough space per car then all cars have to slow. However, under normal conditions cars slow haphazardly and change lanes which can result in knots of traffic where cars end up stopping even though there is no obstruction on the road (besides other cars). I think the logic of smart roads is to slow the traffic uniformly when the traffic density gets too high to travel at a particular speed (70mph for example). So the traffic slows but continues to flow. It makes some sort of sense, but I don't know how well it works in practice. I remember, before smart roads, noticing that traffic in 50mph roadworks zone usually moved smoothly but leaving these zones often meant snarl-ups as traffic started moving at different speeds and changing lanes.

The amount of cars you can fit on a section of road depends upon their speed. Slower cars travel closer together so more can fit into a section. To travel 70mph cars need a certain amount of space in front and behind. If there is not enough space per car then all cars have to slow. However, under normal conditions cars slow haphazardly and change lanes which can result in knots of traffic where cars end up stopping even though there is no obstruction on the road (besides other cars). I think the logic of smart roads is to slow the traffic uniformly when the traffic density gets too high to travel at a particular speed (70mph for example). So the traffic slows but continues to flow. It makes some sort of sense, but I don't know how well it works in practice. I remember, before smart roads, noticing that traffic in 50mph roadworks zone usually moved smoothly but leaving these zones often meant snarl-ups as traffic started moving at different speeds and changing lanes.
And don't forget: you are never 'in' a traffic jam; you 'are' the traffic jam.

I suppose it decreases the ‘concertina’ effect when drivers travel too close together then stamp on the breaks when the car in front does thus slowing them down less than the speed of the car in front, the guy behind does the same until half a mile back the cars are stationary. Usually caused by cars travelling too close to each other.

Had a blowout on the M62 a couple of weeks ago, fortunately after the end of the Smart motorway section. It was scary enough getting out on to the hard shoulder with 38 ton lorries going past at 70mph. Had it happened in the bit where there was no hard shoulder it would have been terrifying. Had to get recovered and the recovery driver told me about the number of times that breakdowns on a smart motorway have ended in disaster or very near misses. Scary stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.