So just how is Baconface going to "put this to bed"...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Contract offer withdrawn and officially transfer listed.

Fined for breach of club discipline on the release of statement prior to a game.

I think thats the most likely scenario tbh

Fergie will lock himslef in a cupboard and refuse to come out until Rooney promises to give him a big kiss.

Buzzers said:
gio's side step said:
The whole thing could be a long con constructed by United to deal with the current perception (and reality) of their situation (debt, our progression, their lack of top quality signings, etc).

They construct some shitty story with Rooney behind closed doors - create a division which then sets the context for a big public reconciliation, in order to try and establish some sort of narrative - that they are still the main club, with the big players, and still have ambition. This then galvanises some of their fickle fans and attempts to deal directly with our threat to them this season. 'No way Rooney was ever interested in City', 'Utd still the biggest club in English football' and all that bollocks. Fergie performs an oscar winning speech at the press conference, rooney respons, meeting publically declared, then they react to the very problem they constructed themselves in the first place.

Ok, conspiracy theory. And likely a load of bollocks. Just offering a different take.

No chance, it would do Rooney's reputation too much damage both as a brand and with Utd fans, many of whom never want to see him in the shirt again.

That's the only reason I'm in two minds about this, his rep. with the fans is severely damaged.

smudgedj said:
Buzzers said:
No chance, it would do Rooney's reputation too much damage both as a brand and with Utd fans, many of whom never want to see him in the shirt again.

That's the only reason I'm in two minds about this, his rep. with the fans is severely damaged.

Football fans are fickle. Those angry at Rooney are actually upset and afraid that it is a microcosm of their empire falling. Anything to reassure them that is not the case, i.e. a constructed Rooney u-turn (with some lovely poetic quotes about how he just needed assurances, he never wanted to leave, he's at the biggest club in the world, etc) would fickly turn that anger into enthusiasm again

gio's side step said:
smudgedj said:

Football fans are fickle. Those angry at Rooney are actually upset and afraid that it is a microcosm of their empire falling. Anything to reassure them that is not the case, i.e. a constructed Rooney u-turn (with some lovely poetic quotes about how he just needed assurances, he never wanted to leave, he's at the biggest club in the world, etc) would fickly turn that anger into enthusiasm again

Yep that's so true.

gio's side step said:
smudgedj said:

Dont think so, even if he were to come out at this stage and say he changed his mind, he loves the place and wants to sign for life there's the implications of the 'ambition' statement too and the public row with Fergie.

The only way I'd see it being forgiven if he was to get his head down, shut his mouth and do his talking on the pitch, something which he hasn't done for quite a while, whether its blaming his team mates as he did with Nani, blaming the crowd as he did at the WC or blaming the manager as he did last week the one person Rooney seems unable to lay any blame with (for his form) its himself, and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

gio's side step said:
smudgedj said:

I concur with the original conspiracy theory and the above quote. I think the fact that they are unable to buy new players had to be hidden by a big issue and Fergie had to appear once more to be the Messiah amongst rags. Unable to buy, he gets his przied asset to say he wants to leave, then performs a 'miracle' in persuading him to stay and buys himself another couple of seasons to try to surpass BinDippers record of titles, though it would be a fluke now as there are clearly better teams....but he's bought the time.

The only thing that puts the spanner in the works is Rooney's statement, which would be hard to retract unless they bought players, which they can't.

My other theory was that Rooney's people were doing what Terry's people did in order to engineer a better contract offer from the Scum.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.