Social Media - is it really a good thing?

I caught one out at work. “Oxbridge educated” on LinkedIn yet degree from Cardiff.
Let myself down by not claiming an Oxbridge education though. I did state that I would need paid time off regularly to attend Cobra meetings when required. adding it was all, "very hush hush".

With the exception of when someone has died, I never put bad news on Facebook. Maybe I'm critical about something (i.e. the new Champions League proposal) but it's just not the done thing to wax lyrical on there about bad things. People post a hyper inflated view of themselves.

There are some nasty pieces of work on Twitter too. I've blocked over 400 on there now because I've taken abhorrent dogs abuse. Mainly football. A group of United fans got hold of my @ and were sharing tweets, photos etc. Sadly, other "Blues" have done it to me too.

There are some nasty pieces of work on Twitter too. I've blocked over 400 on there now because I've taken abhorrent dogs abuse. Mainly football. A group of United fans got hold of my @ and were sharing tweets, photos etc. Sadly, other "Blues" have done it to me too.

sad c*nts! social media abuse needs to be tackled so much stronger

the vile abuse aimed at celebs just isn't right, and we will see more Caroline Flack related deaths if it continues

I've never really used socal media, never had a facebook, twitter or instagram account, which for my age is probably unusual. I use WhatsApp and occasionally zoom, that's about it. Oh, and youtube which I treat a bit like a streaming service whenever I want to watch something specific.

I get that for some it is a lifeline, for our family abroad we can share updates on the kids easily. But otherwise it has just always seemed like too much effort for too little reward to me at least.

Some of my mates will post conversations they've had with fans of other clubs which have been toxic. Wonder why anyone gets involved really, you're not going to convince you're average united fan that the city UEFA charges were a stitch up any more than you can show the average Liverpool fan that it doesn't actually mean more.

Social media gives everyone a voice, unfortunately not everyone is worth listening to.

Coupled with how personal it can get, plus a less resilient society in general, and it's easy for me to say sat here not knowing what it was ever all about, but sometimes walking away is best. Does it really matter what Rashford said, what Jezza the Rag from Basildon thinks about Aguero or what some moviestar had for breakfast? I choose to filter out their voices by not listening in the first place.

If Donald Trump tweets in the middle of the woods but I don't read it, my life isn't affected in any way. I still eat my dinner, read my little ones a bedtime story and turn on the match to support city. Neither is Trump's to be honest but at least I didn't clog my head up with any of it.

I get that being visible socially is a big deal for celebs though, and I can see that unless these companies take more responsibility and care for their users then more and more will just leave their platforms.

sad c*nts! social media abuse needs to be tackled so much stronger

the vile abuse aimed at celebs just isn't right, and we will see more Caroline Flack related deaths if it continues

I've been called a "nonce" and a "paedo" goodness knows how many times. Complain to Twitter and they do nothing. Is this libel? I'm fairly sure I don't rape children so I guess it is.

England fans in 2018 were unbearable too. I note they've all fucked off since.

Liverpool fans are a nightmare on Twitter. I made light of a defeat to Wolves in the Cup whilst I was on holiday in Malaga (lovely night with fans of many clubs in a sports bar) and woke up to 50 tweets of absolute abuse. They openly search for anyone badmouthing their club and abuse them. I had to padlock my account before blocking one by one. It's inevitably a badge of honour for them.

It really pisses me off. Imagine walking through the street and person after person is screaming abhorrent abuse at you. You'd want to wallop them. Then make an unpopular comment on Twitter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.