Solution at Centre Back

Dicko69 said:
Anyone else think that in a couple of years time, yaya could drop back to centreback, I think him and kompany would be the most dominant centreback pairing in world football for a few years

Yaya isn't a good enough tackler for the EPL as it is today. Good enough against the rags though

Yaya is one of those players that you have to keep happy. To keep him happy you play him where he wants to play. He wants to play in central midfield and be able to run with the ball and get into scoring situations. He does not want to defend. Our best option at centre back is Demichelis or Lescott in terms of experience but they both lack certain qualities. Nastasic is also struggling this season to implement Pellegrini's high pressing and Garcia is too slow to step up and force the high line. It is a position we need to address in the summer.

Don't we have Karim Rekik to come back with a years experience playing for PSV? Perfect solution as he's also a left footer.

Brendan110_0 said:
Don't we have Karim Rekik to come back with a years experience playing for PSV? Perfect solution as he's also a left footer.

He might prove good enough to provide cover, but he's not good enough to be first choice right now. We need to sign a centre-back in the 24-27 range, someone with experience who will take responsibility but who's an excellent athlete to boot. And good with the ball. And preferably left-footed. And not injury prone. Hmm...

The solution is simple - buy a certain Mr Thiago Emiliano da Silva from PSG to accompany VK.

The reality of facilitating that solution is the difficult part.

According to today's Daily Telegraph, Jan Vertonghen will leave Spurs at the end of the season if they dont qualify for the Champions League. I think he would be the perfect partner for Vinny.

TorontoBlue said:
According to today's Daily Telegraph, Jan Vertonghen will leave Spurs at the end of the season if they dont qualify for the Champions League. I think he would be the perfect partner for Vinny.

I'd still love to know why we didn't go for him in the first place. He always looked like a bargain for Spurs.

I'm not really sold on Vertonghen being a great defender. Most of the time when he's praised it's for attacking well from leftback or being powerful with the ball. I can't remember too many stand out defensive performances from him, or even standout performances when playing CB at all. I might just have it in my head that he's dodgy because of the West Ham game though tbh, as he was a complete wreck in that game

FromPollockToSilva said:
Brendan110_0 said:

He might prove good enough to provide cover, but he's not good enough to be first choice right now. We need to sign a centre-back in the 24-27 range, someone with experience who will take responsibility but who's an excellent athlete to boot. And good with the ball. And preferably left-footed. And not injury prone. Hmm...

I agree. While it would be great to see one of our own come through, our aspirations are too big to allow for sentiment. We need at least one new, proven top class CD in the short and medium term.

Kinkys Left Foot said:
The solution is simple - buy a certain Mr Thiago Emiliano da Silva from PSG to accompany VK.

The reality of facilitating that solution is the difficult part.

Or Virgil Van Dijk from Celtic.
Before you all start,i know it's Scottish football etc,etc ;)
This guy is good,not put a foot wrong all season.
Strong in the air,can ping 40-50 yard passes,calm on the ball...and scored a couple of belters this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.