Something Special about Stockport?

Source of one of the best pub quiz questions.
Which club's football ground is closest to the River Mersey?

Last edited:
Take it you haven’t been there for a while mate?

One of if not the the most booming towns in the country right now, the development and investment going on at the moment is insane.

Lived here 30 years. The produce hall is alright I suppose for some interesting scran and there's a nice shop that let's you fill your own containers with cereal, fruit and nuts but apart from that it's shite.

Lived here 30 years. The produce hall is alright I suppose for some interesting scran and there's a nice shop that let's you fill your own containers with cereal, fruit and nuts but apart from that it's shite.

The Produce Hall is….fine. Another cash machine for Steve Pilling. But probably the least interesting place to eat in the town centre now.

The shop you’re talking about out is The Good Life, a decent little shop.

There’s loads of nice restaurants and cafes - have you been to Yellowhammer, the Mekong Cat, Where the Light Gets In?

Still Life Story is a wonderful shop selling homewares and stuff by local craft makers, the market is the most buzzing it’s been for probably 100 years, there’s great bars like the Cracked Actor which do nice beers from independent breweries, new offices being built bringing more money into the town, I think Stockport is great.

To go from being mostly a forgotten shell of a former booming place like Rochdale or Oldham, to being the most talked about urban regeneration story in the country in about 5 years is astounding.

I know some people don’t like gentrification though.

That spiral cyclepath to bus station roof garden is laughable. Views of shopping trollies in the Mersey, no cycle path onto the A6. Barely a clear route uphill. Planning at its finest.

It's a handy route from the station to the Runaway Brewery tap though which sells some absolutely fantastic beer.

The Produce Hall is….fine. Another cash machine for Steve Pilling. But probably the least interesting place to eat in the town centre now.

The shop you’re talking about out is The Good Life, a decent little shop.

There’s loads of nice restaurants and cafes - have you been to Yellowhammer, the Mekong Cat, Where the Light Gets In?

Still Life Story is a wonderful shop selling homewares and stuff by local craft makers, the market is the most buzzing it’s been for probably 100 years, there’s great bars like the Cracked Actor which do nice beers from independent breweries, new offices being built bringing more money into the town, I think Stockport is great.

To go from being mostly a forgotten shell of a former booming place like Rochdale or Oldham, to being the most talked about urban regeneration story in the country in about 5 years is astounding.

I know some people don’t like gentrification though.

Feel it is a bit gentrified tbh, not sure many Brinnington or Edgeley residents are drinking in The Cracked Actor! I'd disagree with the market being booming, thought it was a terrible idea to charge entry for it, you can walk around every stall in 5 minutes. I think the makers market that tours the local areas is much better (though I think it does now go to Edgeley)

I had heard of Where the Light Comes In, not really my sort of thing but I'll check out the other 2 places you mentioned. The Greek place on Petersgate, Rozafa, is really nice

Feel it is a bit gentrified tbh, not sure many Brinnington or Edgeley residents are drinking in The Cracked Actor! I'd disagree with the market being booming, thought it was a terrible idea to charge entry for it, you can walk around every stall in 5 minutes. I think the makers market that tours the local areas is much better (though I think it does now go to Edgeley)

I had heard of Where the Light Comes In, not really my sort of thing but I'll check out the other 2 places you mentioned. The Greek place on Petersgate, Rozafa, is really nice

I haven’t been to Rozafa but it’s meant to be amazing. Family run for generations hasn’t it, they got one (not sure if it’s still there) by the town hall in Manchester too. I’ve been to that one and it was awesome.

Deffo check out the Mekong Cat. Their noodle bowls and summer rolls are amazing

I haven’t been to Rozafa but it’s meant to be amazing. Family run for generations hasn’t it, they got one (not sure if it’s still there) by the town hall in Manchester too. I’ve been to that one and it was awesome.

Deffo check out the Mekong Cat. Their noodle bowls and summer rolls are amazing

Really nice food, never had a bad meal there, it's just like having a meal on holiday in Greece (apart from the weather!) The Manchester one is still going aswell. I'll make a note of the Mekong Cat to try I do like my Asian food so will give it a go one day in the near future.

Macheda Mark II. Implying that Zirkzee is gonna be a one-hit wonder like Macheda was all those years ago in 2009.

Unless you knew that and are making a joke. In that case, whoosh for me, lol.
No I really didn’t know and being in a lazy mood posting from my bed, couldn’t be bothered Googling. TMI

Thank you for telling me. Nobody beats Mr Stones!! ;-)

No I really didn’t know and being in a lazy mood posting from my bed, couldn’t be bothered Googling. TMI

Thank you for telling me. Nobody beats Mr Stones!! ;-)
No problem, you're welcome.

Well, to expand further, it's a reference to when Macheda scored that last-minute winning goal against Villa in 2009 for the Rags (that awful moment that ended up winning them the title) as a 17-year-old. Then the guy disappeared and did nothing else of note in his career.

The other poster was saying hopefully Zirkzee will be a similar flash in the pan.

And yes, Stones is an excellent defender. I like/rate Gvardiol the most though of all the City defenders. They're all very good though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.