Something Special about Stockport?

Isn’t it more boundary changes and government, rather than geography?

For a lot of people Manchester was and still is Lancashire and places like Wigan arent really greater Manchester at all.
Despite Saddleworth Urban District being amalgamated into Greater Manchester in 1974, many locals still vehemently insist that they live in Yorkshire.
Similarly, a campaign was mounted some years ago by the good people of Southport to remove their district from the Merseyside post code area. Then again, who can blame them? It failed incidentally.

Despite Saddleworth Urban District being amalgamated into Greater Manchester in 1974, many locals still vehemently insist that they live in Yorkshire.
Similarly, a campaign was mounted some years ago by the good people of Southport to remove their district from the Merseyside post code area. Then again, who can blame them? It failed incidentally.
Why would you want to shout about that?

"Gatley, Cheadle, Heald Green, Stockport, Sale, Altrincham, Hale. Pubs shut. Greater Manchester. No matter how much some of the residents insist otherwise."
As is Stockport, a metropolitan borough.
Only part the ceremonial GM county since 1974 and before 1906 was entirely in Cheshire before acquiring bits of Lancashire & Derbyshire. Cheshire remains its postal address.

Isn’t it more boundary changes and government, rather than geography?

For a lot of people Manchester was and still is Lancashire and places like Wigan arent really greater Manchester at all.
Are the boundaries of Stockport not geographical (that’s not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don’t know)?

Areas I know around South Manchester/South Greater Manchester are that the River Bollin is what separates Greater Manchester’s Trafford from Cheshire (sorry everyone from Altrincham, you really are from Greater Manchester) and Manchester (Wythenshawe) from Cheshire.
And the boundary between Trafford and Manchester at the Altrincham/Wythenshawe boundary (or more precisely the Timperley/Baguley boundary) is the Fairywell Brook.

Are the boundaries of Stockport not geographical (that’s not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don’t know)?

Areas I know around South Manchester/South Greater Manchester are that the River Bollin is what separates Greater Manchester’s Trafford from Cheshire (sorry everyone from Altrincham, you really are from Greater Manchester) and Manchester (Wythenshawe) from Cheshire.
And the boundary between Trafford and Manchester at the Altrincham/Wythenshawe boundary (or more precisely the Timperley/Baguley boundary) is the Fairywell Brook.

Stockport comes under Merseyside.
When a mate many years ago, wished to marry a woman who had been divorced in a Catholic church, they were told that they would have to seek permission from the head honcho in Liverpool. Apparently the church uses boundaries from waaaaay back, and to them it is part of Merseyside.

Dippers!! :-)

The Train Manager on my train has just announced "The bustling metropolis that is called Stockport is the next stop for this train". But what does he know?

Sorry about my pedantry but Southport is PR8 and PR9 which is the Preston postcode area, even though it’s in Merseyside.

The Train Manager on my train has just announced "The bustling metropolis that is called Stockport is the next stop for this train". But what does he know?

I used to regularly travel to Irlam from town on the train and it always seemed to be the same guard for some reason. The train terminated there and everyday he would announce slight variations along the lines of:

“We are now approaching the hell hole known as Irlam. You must leave the train here but you do so at your own risk.”

First time it raised a few half smiles. But people got seriously pissed off hearing it every day. Considering the majority probably lived there, not surprising really.

I used to regularly travel to Irlam from town on the train and it always seemed to be the same guard for some reason. The train terminated there and everyday he would announce slight variations along the lines of:

“We are now approaching the hell hole known as Irlam. You must leave the train here but you do so at your own risk.”

First time it raised a few half smiles. But people got seriously pissed off hearing it every day. Considering the majority probably lived there, not surprising really.

Yeah, one of my pet hates is on train staff who think they are comedians.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.