#SOO Save Our Olé Season III.....Ole, The Trilogy.....We've Failed.....Thank You Ole.

from Ragcafe:
The real problem has been that 4 is is too few [managers] considering the money spent and such little success. I’d say us fans are partly to blame, Moyes got as long as he deserved, probably a few months too many, LvG we were rather ruthless with but 2 years of it was enough, it, like Mourinho in hindsight was a bad appointment from the off.

Ole’s the mad one though, worst CV by a mile, no success like LvG or Mou, given shit loads more money, some horrendous football, yet my god we’ve given him 3 years, 3 fecking years. It’s been the daftest appointment of all, condemned by the time with no success we’ve given him due to some bollocks about a reset and culture. No other big club in the entire fecking World gives a man with no CV 400 million quid and 3 years with no success, it’s utterly bonkers.

This isn't said enough. United fans and critics seem to think that the best managers would be desperate to take that job, but I'm not so sure. You'd have to come in and drop at least two of Ronaldo, Pogba, and Fernandes, and possibly all three, with the expectation of almost immediate results against a very good Chelsea, City and Liverpool side who aren't dropping off the pace this year, probably next year, and possibly the year after that, at which point United will need another rebuild again. All while you have Ferdinand, Scholes, Neville and the rest in prominent positions in the press and Ferguson haunting the place.
Funnily enough, I think now would be a decent time for whoever the 2021 equivalent of Moyes is. It wasn't what they needed in 2013 but now they've sunk low enough for it. They need someone who's going to come in and have them playing a decent systematic attacking game and focussing on players who fit the system more than a superstar. They need to have the humility to lose their need for lustre and be more modest and forward thinking and be ready to lower expectations. Actually plan ahead.

If they got a guy like Rodgers in they wouldn't be spectacular but with the personnel they have they'd definitely be a lot better on a consistent basis (it doesn't have to be Rodgers). He has a specific brand of attacking football and has a habit of being a slight overachiever, which could at least get United a trophy or two. Plus he isn't going to demand the biggest names in the market.

Fortunately though they're arrogant as it gets and they only look far ahead in the accounting department. Plus their former players are all going to make life difficult as you say. So if they sack Ole, expect them to bring in the biggest name available regardless of fit, and continue to bounce around the 2nd-6th range forever.

Funnily enough, I think now would be a decent time for whoever the 2021 equivalent of Moyes is. It wasn't what they needed in 2013 but now they've sunk low enough for it. They need someone who's going to come in and have them playing a decent systematic attacking game and focussing on players who fit the system more than a superstar. They need to have the humility to lose their need for lustre and be more modest and forward thinking and be ready to lower expectations. Actually plan ahead.

If they got a guy like Rodgers in they wouldn't be spectacular but with the personnel they have they'd definitely be a lot better on a consistent basis (it doesn't have to be Rodgers). He has a specific brand of attacking football and has a habit of being a slight overachiever, which could at least get United a trophy or two. Plus he isn't going to demand the biggest names in the market.

Fortunately though they're arrogant as it gets and they only look far ahead in the accounting department. Plus their former players are all going to make life difficult as you say. So if they sack Ole, expect them to bring in the biggest name available regardless of fit, and continue to bounce around the 2nd-6th range forever.
I think you're right, and Potter is the obvious choice but I dunno whether he's holding out for something better himself, I would be if I was him. If he can get Brighton into Europe, prove he can perform there, then it opens up a load of better jobs for him, possibly one of Chelsea, Liverpool or City if he gets his timing right.

Ha, your post poses a fun debate to be had there with your mates in the pub. If you could only have the four post-Ferguson managers what order would make most sense. I'd go Mourinho, Ole, Van Gaal and Moyes.

2nd-6th could be exceedingly generous.

I think 4th-10th FAR more likely.

They can’t lower expectations. That’s not “the United way.” They don’t have the intellect nor the courage to break down the side (nor the club) to its essence and rebuild.

They hop from bunch of dry, crusty old laurels to bunch of dry, crusty old laurels. No manager solves this. No group of players solves this. It’s a cultural (read: ownership) problem.

If they said, “Right. We’ll wander in the desert for three or four years, finish 13th for a bit and rebuild with youth” then we’d have need to be concerned eventually. But they won’t, so we don’t.

Why won’t they? Because — they’re “MANCHESTER UNITED!!!”

And no matter what THEY do, they can’t stop progress other clubs will make, or momentum clubs already better than they are have.

They. Are. Fucked.

I think you're right, and Potter is the obvious choice but I dunno whether he's holding out for something better himself, I would be if I was him. If he can get Brighton into Europe, prove he can perform there, then it opens up a load of better jobs for him, possibly one of Chelsea, Liverpool or City if he gets his timing right.

Ha, your post poses a fun debate to be had there with your mates in the pub. If you could only have the four post-Ferguson managers what order would make most sense. I'd go Mourinho, Ole, Van Gaal and Moyes.
Potter's the obvious choice indeed, but that would require United having the humility to lower expectations for a while. Which we all know isn't in their MO.

Your fun debate is actually better than you realise because the question can be asked in many ways. For instance, post Ferguson I'd definitely agree Mourinho would've been best. Football hadn't yet been completely changed by the modern Spanish + German styles and he was more than capable of inspiring a bunch of ragtag players (pun intended) in an otherwise weakish league.

If you start post-Moyes, I'd have said Solskjaer, because what he's doing now might have actually worked in a league without 2/3 super managers yet in it. Post-Van Gaal, I think Moyes because he could've worked with the team now that it wasn't the sinking ship it was in 2013 (assuming his horrible post United spell doesn't exist in this world). Post-Mourinho, I'd have said a clone Mourinho because a hypothetical new Mourinho with the side they had when he left would've actually been pretty ruthless for a year or two. Post-Ole (assuming he's sacked), Van Gaal would finally work because tbf they have a very strong squad on paper.

Although to answer the original question I'd go Mourinho, Moyes, Solskjaer, Van Gaal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.