Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

We're adjusting to a new striker, in which we have to redress our usual playing style and we're second!

What's all the doom about??
Have you actually watched all our games this season? Yes we are 2nd but that doesn’t tell the story of our season. We have been so poor in so many games…even in some we found a way to win. Prime example, Chelsea away, we were very fortunate to win.

Yet another listless performance - slow, a curious mixture of boring and frustrating to watch, and far too predictable to play against.

Beaten (and deservedly so - we can't have any complaints about that scoreline) by the worst team in the league with not a single shot on target in reply.

And so many players playing out of position - and I include Ortega in that. He clearly thought he was a CB tonight, not a goalie.

Summer window:

Sell: Ortega. Gomez. Akanji. Walker. Laporte. Cancelo. Gundogan. Grealish. Palmer.

Buy a proper f*cking left back.

Phillips is on the watch list - his injury record buys him more time.

Pay Bernardo whatever it takes to get him to stay.

Of course, we'll wind up selling none of this lot, with perhaps the exception of Grealish. Someone on the match day forum suggested that some players need three years to get used to Pep's system. Nonsense. I like the lad, but he just hasn't played well enough, consistently enough to buy any more time.

And we won't keep Bernie. Nor will we properly address the 6 year ongoing LB situation.
Grealish wasn't the worst tonight. Need a performance from him on Saturday

Unacceptably shit. Again. Said in the match thread, it’s boring to watch. Like proper dull. And has been for weeks/months now. All for the sake of control and we’re not particularly doing that either. It’s shite.

We’ve gone from the most exciting team to watch - pace, high tempo, urgency, progressive passing, chances, creating, goals - to fuck all. Passing it backwards. Passing it with the ball rolling its way to its target rather than being fizzed in. Blunt. Dull. Boring. None of them seem interested.

We’ve got the most sought-after forward in world football up there collecting dust and feeding off scraps because of it.

Might seem reactionary because it’s just one game with loads of changes but it’s not just tonight. It’s been happening for fucking ages. It stems deeper than tonight. Something seems genuinely wrong and it wouldn’t surprise me if the players can’t be arsed with this new-found philosophy. I know I can’t as a fan paying hundreds to watch it.

Gomez can go. Cancelo can get to fuck - throwing his arms about like some petulant **** when he’s one of the worst on the pitch consistently. Foden needs to buck his ideas up. Grealish needs to start producing game-changing moments rather than what he is doing (I’m one of his advocates). Phillips needs to stop admiring his 5 yard passes and actually make an effort to show for the ball.
Summed up brilliantly mate, we're becoming a very hard watch at present too much backwards passing when there's no fucking need to, it's happening all the time. Slow, slow, slow, zero tempo to our play which our opponents love, something has to change. Cancelo needs to fuck off this summer with Gomez, a new left back is a must then, absolutely ridiculous we still haven't found a decent one after all these years

Have you actually watched all our games this season? Yes we are 2nd but that doesn’t tell the story of our season. We have been so poor in so many games…even in some we found a way to win. Prime example, Chelsea away, we were very fortunate to win.

The old adage goes "Champions find a way to win even when out of form".

We are second and yet to pick up form as we do, usually, over the second half of the season... which hasn't arrived yet!

Thought Walker could have done better for both goals, put a challenge in or a block. Johnny Stones would have thrown himself at both those chances.

Ah well. It won’t be the same team on Saturday. We’ll batter that red shite. This was all part of Pep’s plan. Maybe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.