Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

That was the most alarming part of tonight.

The horrendous formation and poor selection in the first 45 was one thing… but the changes did absolutely nothing and we looked even more likely to concede.

Something very very off about tonight. It felt like the lads that came on had mentally prepared not to play and had their eyes on the weekend. If that is the case then something has changed and it’s really unprofessional and frankly arrogant.

Some of those that played today, I’m not sure we are going to see again this season.
Absolutely, Gomez has played his last game, Palmer will be loaned out to a championship club, Cancelo and Walker under huge pressure as well. Who would've thought an 18yo kid could soon become our number 1 right back

Too many senior players not cutting the mustard right now.

Foden - inconsistent

Cancelo - almost as bad as his first year with us when all he did was moan about playing time

Gundo - Probably one of the only ones that tried tonight but again dropped off from last year

Walker - Love him but hasn't been the same since getting injured last season.

Need these kinds of players back and firing on all cylinders if we're to challenge for stuff. Titles and winning stuff mean EVERYONE be chipping in. Can't just be looking to Kev, Bernie and Haaland to bail us out.

Feel sorry for Alvarez tonight. He looked exasperated. Absolutely zero help tonight.

Phillips was stunningly bad. I can't remember a worst debut in watching City for 50 plus years. You can tell a lot about a player from their debut game. I would write him off. Seems harsh but we can't go backwards.
Too early, we've seen some great debuts with fuck all after (Mangala)

Needs to stay fit and play regularly, if he can't do that then it will be a bad sigining

What was he he actually doing on the edge of his box when the game was inside our half?
He wasn't at the edge of our box, but 12 yards out when the attacker is only 30 yards from goal is a school boy error.

Grealish wasn't the worst tonight. Need a performance from him on Saturday
He’s never the worst because he’s technically superb. He just usually plays the same game week in week out. Great touch and close control. Keeps the ball and wins free kicks but rarely goes past players in key areas and when he is in the box constantly just twats the ball against defenders because for his ability he’s terrible at making half a yard to get a shot off. All part of Pep’s plan to keep the ball though

Maybe maths isn't your strong point, but by virtue of playing BETTER than the teams you've mentioned, we've more points which allows us to be second.

So, by default, we're "playing well" compared to those teams, non?

Maybe not "well" by our past form, but we had complete seasons to go by, not disrupted ones...
Yes we are playing shite. Thankfully that's better than the fucking dross the likes of Chelsea are playing.

Maybe we can use it as a motivational slogan.

We just seem very disjointed at the moment. Maybe there was too much turnover in the summer, maybe it's the WC fucking everything up, maybe there's a rift in the locker room, I don't know.

Probably doesn't help Pep keeps changing the tactics up, but I'm not sure if that's a cause or symptom.

Usually we're a well oiled machine. Like a brand new Porsche right off the lot. This season it feels like we're a Daewoo Lanos made of scare parts from the scapyard with bunch of squirrels having an orgy under the hood.

That was poor from Pep to Phil. Poor selection, poor performance. Southampton wanted the win more, and they deserved it more.

Walker at CB wasn't necessary, given that both Akanji and Ake were fit. Play one half Ake and the other half Akanji if you want to give them a rest before Saturday. Cancelo had to play at LB, (that's his best position since 20/21), Walker/Lewis at RB, Gundo next to Phillips to help him in the build up play. It was a start too many for both Gomez and Palmer. Such games happen, but the loss was partly self-inflicted.

Also, Stones not fully fit again...He's unreliable fitness wise. Hopefully, he's fit for United. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Let's hope we do better in the other competitions. We can't play much worse than today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.