Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

Maybe maths isn't your strong point, but by virtue of playing BETTER than the teams you've mentioned, we've more points which allows us to be second.

So, by default, we're "playing well" compared to those teams, non?

Maybe not "well" by our past form, but we had complete seasons to go by, not disrupted ones...

Aside from United, who we were fantastic against for 70 minutes, we haven't played the big boys and we definitely haven't been playing as well as we can. It feels like Pep is trying to work the team out still, and his chopping & changing (Foden hardly playing after a hattrick), hasn't led to great performances. Wins for the most part, but considering the quality of the players, you'd expect it.

What is also apparent was the average performances pre World Cup , they have had there eye on the tournament from the start of the season , especially the lads who knew it was their last WC (Kev especially). This season is an anomaly in some ways , and it’s apparent now we are conserving energy sub consciously with what lies ahead , that was totally out of character tonight and Pep dished out opportunities to some players. Two atrocious goals to give away set the early tone. I’ll take three in a row over ANY other competition tbh , fuck the domestics - let United cream themselves over those. The CL is the CL.
I’d expect nothing else but a City win on Saturday.
Rodri starts neither of those goals happen, it really is that simple.

I thought Grealish was the best of a bad bunch first half, Gundoghan probably his worst game for us imo. Cancello though was unbelievably bad and throwing his arms around, why?

Absolutely, Gomez has played his last game, Palmer will be loaned out to a championship club, Cancelo and Walker under huge pressure as well. Who would've thought an 18yo kid could soon become our number 1 right back
Disagree on Walker , he had a really good game in his natural position v Chelsea

Yes we are playing shite. Thankfully that's better than the fucking dross the likes of Chelsea are playing.

Maybe we can use it as a motivational slogan.

This is nuts.

Are you completely "in the zone" all the time? I mean and that's you NOT in a team relying on others to work with you? It's a season of football where we don't smash teams 4 and 5 nils all the time, therefore leading to draws and losses.

It's FOOTBALL!!

What's wrong with fans and flapping?

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

That was fucking disgraceful. Right from the 1st minute we were sloppy and ponderous and it continued throughout the game. Too slow getting forward, strolling about comes across as half arsed. Passing from the forwards back to midfield, who are slow & sloppy, then either pass back to the defenders (if they haven’t lost possession). We did the hard yards beating Chelsea and Liverpool, but then to turn in this shit is unforgivable. We need to stop fucking about, trying to be too clever and just do the right things at the right time.
Ortega… Poor on both goals 4/10
Walker… passing sloppy 5/10
Cancelo… worst on the pitch. 0/10
Laporte…. Steady 7/10
Gomez… Absolutely piss poor in everything tonight. 2/10
Phillips…. Poor, too slow and ponderous on the ball 4/10
Gundogan… shockingly poor 3/10
Foden…. Poor, ball like a hot potato. Shocking. 4/10
Grealish… average, no more. 6/10
Alvarez… Poor and largely anonymous, though starved. 4/10
Palmer… Nervous, negative, leggy, did everything wrong tonight 2/10
Pep Guardiola… ridiculous selection and formation 3/10
To me the players look scared no flair too much passing back

it's what comes with having the best manager ? sometimes they see the bigger picture and hold back the team,
we think we turn up and win every game, even in the league cup, but that comes at a cost later in the season if the manager plays his best 11 all the time,

I hate to see Manchester city lose any game, but love the winning of titles and FA cups even dare I say Champions League and the parades on open-top bus tours in the summer, all because we did not win away to Southampton in the league cup
Losing games playing well is fine, but the disjointed soulless football we're playing at the moment is not.

Pep has previous for binning off matches like tonight. What is the point of beating Liverpool only to surrender n the quarter finals . He did it against Arsenal and he’s even done it In derbies.
It’s bad for team morale and disrespectful to travelling fans .
Just play a bunch of kids in Round 1 if you don’t fancy it Pep.

Too early, we've seen some great debuts with fuck all after (Mangala)

Needs to stay fit and play regularly, if he can't do that then it will be a bad sigining
To be honest. I don't think Phillips will ever make the elite level. He can't control the ball and make a simple pass. It looks like a disastrous signing. We have not made many mistakes but Phillips looks like one. I trust my judgement after watching City since 1967. I can recognise shite when I see it because I have seen a lot of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.