Southampton (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Just wanted to say I don’t think Nathan Ake will get appropriate recognition for the brilliant work he did today, especially in the first half when we weren’t really clicking yet.

I posted this in his performance thread but I think it is worth reposting here:

Ake had a few he sniffed out but that 1v1 situation resulting from the poor back pass and fluff from Kev was one that stood out to me.

Soton score there and the game is very different. Perhaps we still win—as poking the beast hasn’t exactly worked with us most of the time this season—but he made sure we didn’t have to come from behind by keeping his head and playing what looked a very tentative attacker in to making a mistake that Eddie could pounce on.

He didn’t go to ground rashly, he didn’t give up running; he coolly slowed and shepherded the Soton forward and made him think about his next move. He saw the entire chess board in an instant and the opposition could only see the pawns closing in.

As someone may or may not have said once, battle is won or lost in the six inches between your ears, and right now I wouldn’t trade the bits between his for any other defender’s in the league.

Just wanted to say I don’t think Nathan Ake will get appropriate recognition for the brilliant work he did today, especially in the first half when we weren’t really clicking yet.

I posted this in his performance thread but I think it is worth reposting here:

Ake had a few he sniffed out but that 1v1 situation resulting from the poor back pass and fluff from Kev was one that stood out to me.

Soton score there and the game is very different. Perhaps we still win—as poking the beast hasn’t exactly worked with us most of the time this season—but he made sure we didn’t have to come from behind by keeping his head and playing what looked a very tentative attacker in to making a mistake that Eddie could pounce on.

He didn’t go to ground rashly, he didn’t give up running; he coolly slowed and shepherded the Soton forward and made him think about his next move. He saw the entire chess board in an instant and the opposition could only see the pawns closing in.

As someone may or may not have said once, battle is won or lost in the six inches between your ears, and right now I wouldn’t trade the bits between his for any other defender’s in the league.

He’s fucking excellent.

Easily in the running for our POTS.

The first goal was checked by VAR as you described but there was nothing to see.

The second goal was checked by VAR for offside despite it being unnecessary because it was obvious from the cut/shade of grass that it was not offside.

Stupid, corrupt attempts to forensically analyse goals to disallow them. Brighton in particular are victims today.
Wasn’t surprised to learn it was Stuart Attwell.

Because this goal deserves more than one gif. ;-)

B20-E3-F51-E253-454-A-8015-B0-F071-FF3666.gif
It‘s a tap in!

I have to give it to every person that was at Southampton today. Watching from TV, the singing was immense and got more and more intense.There were about 10 minutes when it is was the focal point over the commentary.
It should have been on the commentary especially during the last few minutes seeing out the game, when it was more interesting than watching the exhibition football. I thought the "you're doing down" was a bit unnecessary!

Great win despite a mediocre 1st half that could’ve shown a different scoreline. and where we played far too many passes backwards and sideways in a standstill tempo. The few times we did up the tempo we immediately created chances.
The 1-0 couldn’t have come at a better moment.

2nd half and we were ruthless. No complaints. Just great to watch. With Haaland’ bicycle kick the WOW moment.
We can play some great football. It was a pity it lasted 45 minutes.

Excellent result, to see the way we responded and changed to the way the game flowed was an education.

One slight gripe would be not challenging harder for their goal, but I'm ok with that overall. Can't have them thinking they were flawless...

Was in the pub watching this, some United fans lingering in there from their game earlier (no, of course they'd not been to the game!) chanting 'when the saints go marching in' and 'tap in merchant, he's just a tap in merchant', fell very silent when Erling decided to stretch his legs, got laughed at by the entire pub, and in true Trafford rat style, ran away.

One thing that bugged me and got kind of lost in the four goals, the handball. It hit his hand definitively, and any argument for it being too close is nullified by the fact he clearly moves his hand towards the ball, and changed the flight of the ball, so what the hell VAR? Not mentioned at half time or in match of the day?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.