Southampton post match thread

Yes. That was after his second year. He was on a 3 year deal originally. Then 12 months more. 4 in total. The club haven't taken his 12 month extension up so his time here is 3 years not 4. Unless your wumming again & I'm taking it all far too seriously lol ;-)

i thought i`d give it a go as you seem to get a lot of enjoyment from it

Even a forfeit would've been better than the "team" he played yesterday. It would also have been better for the injury & fitness risk assessment, if I follow your reasoning.
Regardless of Madrid, playing a B-team for a Premier League fixture is a huge sign of disrespect to the competition itself, the opponents your playing and last but not least the travelling support.
I could perhaps have understood a little if there was nothing more at stake, but given how we still have to fight for top 4 and how it's not unthinkable that we'll drop points v. the tarquins next weekend, I can't believe that you would just give away 3 points like we did yesterday.
Yes, Wednesday is an important game, but we're arriving their maybe not fysically but definitely mentally bruised. Not sure which one's worse.

You aren't following my reasoning if you think at any point I have advocated forfeiting the Southampton game. As to talk of disrespecting the competition, that I'm afraid is emotional bollocks. We have an expensively assembled squad that is supposed to facilitate rotation; several of the players that started yesterday have previously been keen contributors to us winning the title. Was it disrespectful to field Nacho, a kid who is rightly not yet a regular starter? Was it hell.

Oh and take a look at the team Pep fielded for Bayern on Saturday in a game that could have sealed the title for them cos you are going to find Pep very disrespectful.

Well we have already sacrificed our chances in the FA cup to maximise our chances in this competition, gifting our rivals a free run at the trophy. If we miss out on top four to them also I hope this will still be considered a successful risk. I am pretty sure United played on Thursday, and had less recovery time, prior to beating us in the Derby, without Pellers required three days rest. It is the nature of being a top class footballer and a winner. Clubs like Barca, Madrid have been doing it for years. We are making concessions when in all honesty there is no need too.

These players we have will flourish under a manager who can prepare them properly. I cannot stress enough how much Pellegrini is a hindrance on this side. Yet again we come up against a side who like to play with pace and press the ball and we are on the receiving end of a hammering.

You would expect that any manager worth their wage would be able to learn from basic mistakes. It's not like Liverpool, Spurs, Stoke and Arsenal have already beaten, and in most cases thrashed, us this season is it?

So to go away to an inform Southampton, who adopt a similar style, with that game plan is full on negligence. I don't buy all the talk of our squad not being strong. Bony, Delph, Sterling, Nasri, Navas, Kolarov etc were all international players when we signed them, and most of them still are. They are just being mismanaged and misused.

What is even more staggering is that Pellegrini has shown in Europe that he can get it spot on. Sevilla away being a prime example where we were going to come up against a high pressing and fast side. That was the perfect blueprint for all of our PL away games against the fast and direct sides and Bony and Sterling both played a key role in Sevilla away. Yet yesterday there wasn't even a resemblance of that system.

Another think Pellegrini did what didn't make any sense was putting Aguero on the bench. He knew before the game that he wasn't going to play him no matter what so why not put a youngster on the bench instead? Would have made much more sense to bring on Manu Garcia rather than Demichellis.

If this season has shown one thing it is that we have some proper talent in our ranks and we need to be giving them game time. Iheanacho looks twice the player of the £44 million Sterling, Manu Garcia could have easily have had the same impact Delph has had this season and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Denayer out performs Stones next season. We need to give the young lads a chance.

Excellent post, sir. Not risking results with youngsters is sometimes excused because acute pressure on managers forces ultra-short term thinking. However, even within the horizons of a single season, it's a fair bet there will be injuries and hence the need for match-prepared back-up. Yesterday provided a prime example: three or four up-and-coming kids versus jaded, unmotivated but "proven" players?

As far as I'm concerned, it's short-sightedness rather than short termism.

You aren't following my reasoning if you think at any point I have advocated forfeiting the Southampton game. As to talk of disrespecting the competition, that I'm afraid is emotional bollocks. We have an expensively assembled squad that is supposed to facilitate rotation; several of the players that started yesterday have previously been keen contributors to us winning the title. Was it disrespectful to field Nacho, a kid who is rightly not yet a regular starter? Was it hell.

Oh and take a look at the team Pep fielded for Bayern on Saturday in a game that could have sealed the title for them cos you are going to find Pep very disrespectful.

Come on Mate Pep has nothing to play for and the title is already won, we are gambling qualification for the Champs Lge for next year and I doubt Pep would ever take that risk. We have also thrown the FA Cup also.

I think most people can have some sympathy for the predicament that Pellegrini was faced with yesterday........however
  • The constant 2 upfront means the midfield invariably gets over run....whichever team selection he makes.
  • The lack of opportunities he has given the youngsters, means that the opportunity to freshen up the team in games such as yesterday is reduced.
  • Surely it can't be a healthy situation that the majority of the players chosen to play yesterday knew they were only on the pitch because they won't be starting against Madrid.....no excuse for them ( it highlights point 2 about the youngsters though)
  • If Pellegrini had got his tactics correct in previous games....yesterday's game shouldn't have mattered....instead of now scrambling about for fourth place.
I think Pellegrini should be treated with dignity and the insults are uncalled for......However I think most of the criticism is warranted.

Manchester City Football Club is pleased to confirm that the contract of first team manager, Manuel Pellegrini, has been extended.
The agreement, which was reached following discussions this summer, sees the contract run for two years through to June 2017.

Similar such extension agreements have also been reached with Manuel’s backroom team of Ruben Cousillas, Xabier Mancisidor and Jose Cabello.

Speaking of the news, Ferran Soriano, Chief Executive Officer of Manchester City Football Club said: "We are delighted to reach this agreement with Manuel Pellegrini who has already contributed so much to the development of Manchester City in his first two years with us and we look forward to further progress in the seasons ahead.

"This agreement allows Manuel to focus on the challenge of guiding a team capable of both fighting for domestic titles and competing for European honours."

Manuel Pellegrini echoed his pleasure, saying: "I am proud to manage Manchester City FC and am therefore very pleased to have agreed this contract.

"I have a very good quality group of players and a great team of people to work with on and off the field and at all levels of the Club.

"I am focussed on the coming season and confident that my team and I will respond to the constant support shown to us by everyone including of course our fantastic fans."

My heart sank when I read the first sentence. That's woken me up a bit!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.