Southampton post match thread

I hear you mate, I really do and I've accepted my views are simplistic at best and no doubt wrong at worst.

That said, in life you have to push yourself and football is no different. Take Sturridge, a player who his own manager has come out and said he needs to earn to deal with a little pain, to play through it, to just get on with doing what he does and that's play football. Its a physical game, a contact sport and you get kicked and you take the knocks and sometimes, its impossible to carry on and play but for me, the majority of the times its a case of mentally being strong and saying I'm going to do this, I'm going to play and do my job.

The poster above named several sporting events, all gruelling and as much a test of the mind and mentality as they are fitness and those competing, do it with niggles, aches and pains but they do it.

Seems to me that the modern day footballer wants to be different and wants to cry off at any and every opportunity and unless !00%, doesn't often want to know and that's sad. given the money and the adulation they receive.

Each individual is different in that regard and you have a good point in that players will have to play through injuries time and again and play at the level required.

Some have a better pain threshold than others.

Some get the flu for example and they are cactus and the club worries about its transmission to others for example.

Some feel crap and don't let on to others how bad they are and still play a pearler.

Its a small and perhaps trivial example but when I was little I really wanted to play first team football ( AFL variety ) for the school first eleven in year 10 which was unusual at the time and played a pearler in the practice match kicking 6 goals from a half forward flank when I was knackered with the flu and the rest is history.

Its how bad you want to play and how bad you want to win that often makes the difference.

[QUcompletely ityBoy21, post: 9397567, member: 49237"]I got discounted last minute tickets and still felt cheated, embarrassing apart from the kid!!![/QUOTE]

I completely understand. I can't afford to go but sympathise with the people that did, with
travelling costs it must have been over £100 for some.
The club should refund the fans and make MP should make an apology.

There are a lot of people here suggesting that Hart, Delph and Sterling should go. Err who are the British players we are going to have to fill the quota??

There are a lot of people here suggesting that Hart, Delph and Sterling should go. Err who are the British players we are going to have to fill the quota??

Delph and Sterling should be sold asap, shocking signings, Sterling looks lost

Seems to me that the modern day footballer wants to be different and wants to cry off at any and every opportunity and unless !00%, doesn't often want to know and that's sad. given the money and the adulation they receive.
Not sure if it's actually the players who complain so much about it or rather the managers? Kevin De Bruyne is the prime example of a player who's being rested rather frequently but who has always insisted that if it were up to him he'd just play all of the time.
I don't want to argue with the Italian doctors talking about 80% recovery, but automatisms and flow are very important factors in football & I firmly believe that it's much more valuable to leave a good team in it's flow, rather than breaking them up every other match by bringing in 5,6,7,8 new players. A football team should be a well oiled machine. You can't create a well oiled machine if you change the parts every 5 seconds.

Manchester City Football Club is pleased to confirm that the contract of first team manager, Manuel Pellegrini, has been extended.
The agreement, which was reached following discussions this summer, sees the contract run for two years through to June 2017.

Similar such extension agreements have also been reached with Manuel’s backroom team of Ruben Cousillas, Xabier Mancisidor and Jose Cabello.

Speaking of the news, Ferran Soriano, Chief Executive Officer of Manchester City Football Club said: "We are delighted to reach this agreement with Manuel Pellegrini who has already contributed so much to the development of Manchester City in his first two years with us and we look forward to further progress in the seasons ahead.

"This agreement allows Manuel to focus on the challenge of guiding a team capable of both fighting for domestic titles and competing for European honours."

Manuel Pellegrini echoed his pleasure, saying: "I am proud to manage Manchester City FC and am therefore very pleased to have agreed this contract.

"I have a very good quality group of players and a great team of people to work with on and off the field and at all levels of the Club.

"I am focussed on the coming season and confident that my team and I will respond to the constant support shown to us by everyone including of course our fantastic fans."
Yes. That was after his second year. He was on a 3 year deal originally. Then 12 months more. 4 in total. The club haven't taken his 12 month extension up so his time here is 3 years not 4. Unless your wumming again & I'm taking it all far too seriously lol ;-)

Me, I'd spend a few million on a couple akin to the journeymen types who have won the league for Leicester to cover central defence and full back. Give Ruddy a final good payday and promote Gunn to play backups. Not send Roberts out on loan and promote a couple of Academy lads. Go look for one or two Vardy types in the lower leagues. See if we can get Sturridge back for ten mill.

What I wouldn't be doing is throwing comedy money at Everton for Barclay and Stones. I've had enough of having the piss taken out of us by teams that see us coming a mile off.

Edited to add:

And I wouldn't sign anyone who is going to fuck off to mid season international tournaments no matter how good they are.

Last edited:
I hear you mate, I really do and I've accepted my views are simplistic at best and no doubt wrong at worst.

That said, in life you have to push yourself and football is no different. Take Sturridge, a player who his own manager has come out and said he needs to earn to deal with a little pain, to play through it, to just get on with doing what he does and that's play football. Its a physical game, a contact sport and you get kicked and you take the knocks and sometimes, its impossible to carry on and play but for me, the majority of the times its a case of mentally being strong and saying I'm going to do this, I'm going to play and do my job.

The poster above named several sporting events, all gruelling and as much a test of the mind and mentality as they are fitness and those competing, do it with niggles, aches and pains but they do it.

This isn't about crybaby footballers though, it's about how a manager ensures his players are as fit as possible for the most important games (and how they avoid injury). If you or anyone else can refute the science that is being applied, I am all ears.

As to the comparison to other sports, it's just not relevant. I'm quite sure for example that the guys in the Tour de France are using all the sports science knowledge they can muster and I am equally sure that they are not 100% recovered each day but they are all in exactly the same boat (or on the same bike): no one gets an extra days rest...

And in tennis, it's quite clear at times that players who have had a less gruelling time in a contest get an advantage over their opponent.

Also, both those sports are essentially individual sports where player rotation is entirely irrelevant.

Each sport is different but at the highest levels, there will be an emphasis is in doing whatever is necessary to have participants in the best possible condition at the right time.

Not sure if it's actually the players who complain so much about it or rather the managers? Kevin De Bruyne is the prime example of a player who's being rested rather frequently but who has always insisted that if it were up to him he'd just play all of the time.
I don't want to argue with the Italian doctors talking about 80% recovery, but automatisms and flow are very important factors in football & I firmly believe that it's much more valuable to leave a good team in it's flow, rather than breaking them up every other match by bringing in 5,6,7,8 new players. A football team should be a well oiled machine. You can't create a well oiled machine if you change the parts every 5 seconds.

Yep, back 4 especially, 5 with the keeper. Its a unit that needs to communicate and trust each other and full backs constantly changing every week doesn't help, nor does centre backs.

The modern day full back has to be an absolute athlete, we all know that so just recruit accordingly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.